LED light fixture.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 7, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Looking into getting an LED light for a regular 20gallon aquarium. Anybody know what would be a good low cost ligh strip? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, ther is only a couple of low,light plants in the tank, the tank currently has an18 inch t8 that is buzzing like crazy. The tank is 24" so I'm even thinking possibly an 18-20" LED light and fit it into the old light housing.

Looking to to spend less than $50 but I don't know much about lighting brands and don't want to buy a piece of junk. I have a Finnex planted plus on my 29 and I'm pretty sure I can get one of those but it's like $60 but I don't really need that bright of a light.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Try the odyssea fixtures on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Im not finding anything by that name on eBay or in the Internet in general?

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Chris99

Chris99Well Known MemberMember

Look at the Finnex Stingray line. I have these on low light planted tanks with no problems.

If you are willing to DIY, I've even made my own light from 6000K led lights off Amazon. They were less than $10 and I already had an old 12v power supply sitting around. I built a small frame out of scrap wood and painted it black. It actually looks decent.

6. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

:;darth
    Oh nice! I might have to buy 2 of them lol thanks for the link.
    i do like Finnex, but I'm not wanting. To spend too much as I don't need a super light, Im not familiar with the stingray but will check it out.

7. AquaticBrandon

No problem! :). Let me know how it works out for you if you do get the fixture

8. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I will measure up the housing see if I can fit it in the old housing and see what size I could make work.
    I also checked out the Finnex stingray, another nice low cost LED.

9. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I really love the Finnex LED's. If you think the Planted Plus is too much then the Stingray is definitely the way to go.

10. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Just purchased a 20" so we shall see how it turns out

11. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Light fixture came today, gutted the old hood and threw away the nasty old t8 components, lay the LED on the glass and covered it with the old light cover, looks pretty good, has the moonlight feature too. Can post a few pic of it later on if it interests anybody.

12. AquaticBrandon

Nice! I would like to see some pics

13. Jsigmo

JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

Yes. I'd be interested in seeing pics and a bit of a review of what you think of it once you've had a chance to see how you like it.

14. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Edit: This is my wife's 20g tank, she doesn't have the time to mess with it a whole lot so it does look pretty basic with a few low light easy plants.

Quick day 2 mini review of the Beamworks OEM EX50.
    Works well, lights the tank up nicely, this is the 20" fixture on a standard 20g tank. I bought a short fixture to fit into the hood.

As you can see it hides nice and easily in the old T8 housing, just need to make a groove for the power cord and maybe figure out something for the on/off/moonlight switch.

The moonlight itself is very artificial looking, I am not a fan of it, makes me think of the Glofish tanks you see at pet stores (which I personally do not approve of). My Finnex Fugeray gives a much nicer moonglow effect (but costs a lot more!)

The light fixture sits nicely on the hood splash guard, it does feel pretty cheap but then again it is cheap at $23.99 with shipping included.

Overall it seems like a decent low cost LED fixture, I wouldn't buy it if you are looking for a nice moonglow effect but for an inexpensive light it looks great. I haven't used any other low cost LED lights to be able to compare this to but it looks like it would be a nice introduction to LED fixtures for small low light tanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  15. AquaticBrandon

Wow, looks good!

16. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds like a good deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice