LED Help

kahramand

I just bought Aqueon LED fixture. The fixture has three strips of LED light. Fixture came with one but I bought the extra 2. I have a 36 Gallon bowfront tank. I always read that on a planted tank I need 3 watts per gallon. Is this still valid for LED's? Because considering I have a 36 gallon tank I would need at least 80 watts of lighting but each LED strips states they are 4 watts. Is this per strip or per bulb. I am a little confused.

Dolfan

Watts per gallon is outdated and doesn't work, especially for LED's. Those Aqueon fixtures aren't the best for planted tanks. Not sure but could you return it and get your money back. For around the same price you could get a Finnex Planted Plus which are great for planted tanks and have the specific wavelengths that plants like. Check them out on Amazon for included shipping and great price.

Here is a link that helps explain a lot about getting started with planted tanks, and it also has a link in it to understanding PAR, a much better way to estimate light for planted tanks.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/how-to-set-up-a-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.24/

kahramand

Wow, I can't return them since I threw out all the packaging. Is there specific reason why they will not work? It seems the output is pretty good but I am no expert, only a beginner.

kahramand

Also, I am trying to make the dwarf baby tears work as a carpeted plant. I hear they are difficult to deal with, but they look so good I am giving a shot on them. So far they do not look like they are doing so good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jlm418
Replies
Views
fishbone
Replies
Views
Jahnikar
Replies
Views