LED Frag Tank lighthing Question 

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I want to start a 20G Long frag tank, I just bought the skimmer for it and now I'm looking into appropriate lighting that will look good and help stimulate good growth for corals. I will definitely be trying to grow Zoanthids, various Leathers and Mushrooms (ricordea and smooth). I would also like to be able to grow Frogspawn and Trumpet LPS corals. On my main aquarium I use metal halides but that wouldn't be ideal for a smaller aquarium in my opinion. This is why I'm considering using LEDs.

The two LED fixtures I'm currently looking at are:

I'm not sure which one to go with or if I should use another type of lighthing. All comments are appreciated.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go the "Build My LED" - so many reefers love them!

Be aware though, you may experience slightly different colouration from your corals under LED vs MH. It's just the way it goes - zooxanthelle responds to light, and it can influence the colour. It doesn't mean one technology is better or worse than the other, they are just different technologies

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was thinking about going with "Build My LEDs" because they are local but does wattage matter vs the two? My halide is rated 250 watts compared to the 25-35 watts. A 20G long is only 12 or 13 inches deep but is ("Build My LEDs") strong enough for the corals I want to grow?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With LED, it is not total wattage, but the type of LED, the reflector (called optics in LED), and the wattage of the diode.

I have a 120W LED over my reef. My reef light has 40 x 3W diodes, with 55 degree optics. Each diode is made by CREE. My tank is 2' deep, and the 3W CREEs are capable of penetrating the water to that depth. I have an elegance coral (LPS) on the sand bed that is loving life. My BTA is also very happy, and all other corals are fine too.
Diode split:
Cool White CREEWPG-L1 x 16
Neutral White CREEXPE-L1 x 8
Royal Blue CREEROY-L1 x 16
Cool Blue CREEBLU-L1 (moon lights) x 8

When I was researching, I think the equivalent in MH was about 400W - that was a while ago now though... things may have changed in 2 years, I know CREE have newer diodes available.

For a 20G, you can probably get away with 1W diodes, but I'd still look to the CREEs

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm feeling confident with "Build My LED" for a frag tank light. Once I upgrade my aquarium to a 90+ Gallons, that's when I'm going to get some nice LEDs like Cree because of their penetration. Did you buy a premade fixture or did make your own? I'm not too knowledgeable about LEDs but I think you can customize your own "fixtures" with them if you know how to wire them or solder them together.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fixture is a commercially made fixture, but I did a lot of research into LEDs before deciding on my lighting for the tank.

Oh, and I think my previous post may have been confusing - check to see if CREE make 1W diodes for reefs..... I think they do now

What I was trying to say is:
a) you probably don't need 3W diodes, you can probably get away with 1W diodes.
b) If you can get 1W diodes made by CREE, that's what I'd look at

Hope that clarifies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom