Led And Low/med/high Question

1. A

A.D.D. Valued Member Member

Maybe i've missed it, maybe I just haven't found it yet...

I can not understand if I have Low/Med/High lighting. The live plant thing is new to me. I am in the process of setting up what i would like to be a low maint. planted tank. I was given the 20 gal, I got the light off amazon. Here's the link. Can someone clarify what this would fall under, or point me in the right direction (link?).

Amazon.com : Yescom 24" Multi-Color 78 LED Aquarium Light for for 24-30inches Freshwater Saltwater Fish Tank Lamp : Pet Supplies

I found a ton of info for other types of lights, but nothing that would explain where this light would be on the low/med/high "scale".

Thank you.

2. T

ThaiCaliber Valued Member Member

You would technically need a PAR meter to measure what PAR you are receiving to know exactly "how" much light you are getting and at what depth you're getting it at.

3. T

But the 8000k white light would technically fall under high light. I believe anything above 7000k is high light, but I could be wrong.

4. OP
    OP
    A

SO... "technically" This light would be too much for a tank with simple plants like Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, etc. running with just filter, and say maybe Flourish (not excell)? and still okay without adding CO2, fert substrate, etc?

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Probably low but definitely not high.

6. T

I think you'll be fine. Just watch your plants and adjust accordingly.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks man.

8. T

No problem and good luck

9. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

High light is light intensity, not color temperature.

It's not too much, I say low light. Lights that are not specifically marketed as plant lights are almost never higher than low light.

10. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

@-Mak- you beat me too in on the color temp :)

Overall agree w/ mak and smee, most likely a decent low light option, color temps look good, wattage looks good. More then anything a bug factor will be the depth of your tank. The deeper it has to go, the lower it will be. Also, if the light is shorter then your tank (arms extend over rim vs end to end light) the sides will be lower as well.
    Can you post a picture? We can help you more if we knew specifically the heaight, amount of plants, etc...

11. OP
    OP
    A

12. barandemir09

barandemir09 Valued Member Member

If you don't want to go for an expensive option, go for the chihiros a series lights. You can adjust their brightness and they are pretty much high light being at 110 (something around that) par. They get pretty hot, but you get what you pay for. They are very cheap and give out high light. :)

13. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

To add to above, I have the chihiros on a lot of my tanks and love it. However, unless you are trying to grow more difficult plants, you would want to keep it at about the third to 4th setting (it has seven different settings).
    Most of my tanks are heavily planted (read- look like a jungle) or are more demanding plants. While I love the chihiros, not sure I would recommend it with the low light plants that you have... finding the right amount for your tank can cause an algae farm if your not using the correct ferts/co2/plant mass.
    I think for op with the plants listed a finnex stingray would be a good choice, or even a clamp light with a cfl if they wanted to change their lighting. Most would depend on the depth of the tank.