Leaving On Vacation For 2 Weeks

Suga
I'm leaving in a few days for a 2 week long vacation. I've got no one who's willing to take my 10 gallon tank with a single betta, and no one who is willing to come to my house to feed her. I've heard mixed reviews about those vacation block feeders, and I've got no time to get an automatic feeder. I don't want to leave her without food for 2 weeks but I don't want to risk an ammonia spike with a block and find her dead when I get home. I'll definitely do a large water change the day I leave but what do you think is best to do in this situation? Can I break up a block and leave a tiny piece for her? Do I feed her more than usual before I leave and let her fast for 2 weeks? Can I turn the temperature down a little to slow down her metabolism? What else can I do to prepare her to be alone for 2 weeks?

Advertisement
MikeRad89
Spot on. Large water change. Feed well before you leave. Drop the top to 77 ish. She will be fine with no food.

Advertisement
Lorekeeper
IMO, it's best to leave her without food rather than cause an ammonia spike with a vacation feeder.

If you have no way to get an auto feeder, you've got it right. Large WC (I'd do at least 50%), feed well, and drop the temp a bit. She may be a bit thin when you get back, but 2 weeks isn't quite starving territory.

Dbo487
I would do a water change , vacuum the gravel and then if you’re really worried about the ammonia maybe put one in that only last one week ? Two seems extreme , I’ve heard of 3 days for people who keep them in their office and leave for the weekend (not that I agree). I have two Bettas and in two different tanks, I do partial water changes and vacuuming every two weeks and the ammonia levels are fine. So I don’t see that being much different than the feeder being in there? Idk just my opinion ! Hope whatever you decide works out!

Lorekeeper
I would do a water change , vacuum the gravel and then if you’re really worried about the ammonia maybe put one in that only last one week ? Two seems extreme , I’ve heard of 3 days for people who keep them in their office and leave for the weekend (not that I agree). I have two Bettas and in two different tanks, I do partial water changes and vacuuming every two weeks and the ammonia levels are fine. So I don’t see that being much different than the feeder being in there? Idk just my opinion ! Hope whatever you decide works out!
Well, fish can go a lot, lot longer than us without food.

The problem with vacation feeder blocks is that they'll constantly be letting food (and therefore ammonia) out into the water, sometimes too fast for our BB to keep up, which causes an ammonia spike. It'd be like feeding every time you walk past your tank for a couple weeks without doing any water changes. Even a feeder block that lasts a week would end up falling apart and polluting a tank way before the betta could eat it all.

Dbo487
Also, this may sound extreme but when my cousin visits from out of town she has a travel tank to take the Betta then just keeps it in a large bowl for the week or two she’s here. If you’re flying that wouldn’t work but just something to think about for future get aways that involve driving ! Especially if there is no one to help out while gone. Not like they’re a chore to care for when you get wherever you are going

Well, fish can go a lot, lot longer than us without food.

The problem with vacation feeder blocks is that they'll constantly be letting food (and therefore ammonia) out into the water, sometimes too fast for our BB to keep up, which causes an ammonia spike. It'd be like feeding every time you walk past your tank for a couple weeks without doing any water changes. Even a feeder block that lasts a week would end up falling apart and polluting a tank way before the betta could eat it all.[/QUOT

That doesn’t sound good I have never used one but I have heard some good things from some people but that’s only for a week

Advertisement
2006fuzz
I’ve used the weeklong feeders to cycle tanks over a 2-weeks period, just to give you an idea of just how much ammonia is being released into the water without water changes.

Suga
Thank you all! So I guess my best bet would be to do a large water change and feed a bit more than usual before I leave. I'm so nervous but I think this would be better than leaving a vacation block in the tank. How low can I set the temperature?

Lorekeeper
I wouldn't go much lower than 76, personally.

Sarah73
Are you sure you can't have anyone feed your beta? A pinch a day isn't hard at all. I would gladly do it and I'm sure lots of people would but you have to trust them. Like you can't worry about the betta the whole time. 2 weeks is a longgggggggggg time. Do you have a sponge filter in the tank?

Advertisement
Suga
Are you sure you can't have anyone feed your beta? A pinch a day isn't hard at all. I would gladly do it and I'm sure lots of people would but you have to trust them. Like you can't worry about the betta the whole time. 2 weeks is a longgggggggggg time. Do you have a sponge filter in the tank?

Yeah, I've got no one willing to come to my place. They're either all out of town or "can't". I even offered to pay for gas or the taxI for the entire 2 weeks but I can't find anyone. I'm nervous but I don't know what else I could do, other than prep her as best as I can. And yeah I've got a sponge filter in the tank.

barandemir09
For the next time, I would advise you to do the water change 2 days before, in order to see if any problems arise. For an example, an unplugged heater, or a leaking canister for an example, but that’s just for extra precaution, I doubt that’d happen if it never has before

Hunter1
Now even a neighbor?

I’ve never lived anywhere I couldn’t get someone to feed my horses, dogs, fish if I was gone.

In my work rental I have 6 tanks. I premeasure food and put it in little plastic screw tight containers. I have a co-worker come over every 4th day and feed.

60%+ WC before and after I return.

If it was a week, I would say just do as instructed, for 2 weeks, I would try to get somebody to feed every 3/4 days.

Suga
For the next time, I would advise you to do the water change 2 days before, in order to see if any problems arise. For an example, an unplugged heater, or a leaking canister for an example, but that’s just for extra precaution, I doubt that’d happen if it never has before

I never even thought of that, I'll keep this in mind for next time!

Now even a neighbor?

I’ve never lived anywhere I couldn’t get someone to feed my horses, dogs, fish if I was gone.

In my work rental I have 6 tanks. I premeasure food and put it in little plastic screw tight containers. I have a co-worker come over every 4th day and feed.

60%+ WC before and after I return.

If it was a week, I would say just do as instructed, for 2 weeks, I would try to get somebody to feed every 3/4 days.

Unfortunately no. I moved in a few months ago so I don't know anyone very well yet. None of my friends or coworkers were able or willing to come over and feed her, either they were also away at the time or lived too far and couldn't or didn't want to make the drive. I get back home in 3 days and I'm hoping she made it.

Advertisement

Hunter1
I hope so too.

Good luck!

Dbo487
I never even thought of that, I'll keep this in mind for next time!

Unfortunately no. I moved in a few months ago so I don't know anyone very well yet. None of my friends or coworkers were able or willing to come over and feed her, either they were also away at the time or lived too far and couldn't or didn't want to make the drive. I get back home in 3 days and I'm hoping she made it.
How did your fish make out?

Suga
I got back from my trip yesterday and I'm glad to let y'all know she made it! She's not even in rough shape, she was zooming around and her colour is bright. Eating well too. So glad she made it, thank you all for your advice. : )

Dbo487
I got back from my trip yesterday and I'm glad to let y'all know she made it! She's not even in rough shape, she was zooming around and her colour is bright. Eating well too. So glad she made it, thank you all for your advice. : )
YAY! that is very good to hear

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
phrogglet
Replies
Views
Yourlocalfishkeeper
Replies