Leaving dead cory in tank?

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey, I am having some problems with my 33g tank. On Monday I found a bronze cory floating dead in my tank. No fish picked on it or something. I did a 30% water change. On Tuesday I noticed that one of my corys spent most of its time on the surface. I ve been away since Wednesday morning when everything looked okay. My sister said that she can't see that cory anywhere in the tank since yesterday.
So the cory might have been dead in the tank for more than 24hours. She says my other fish all look okay, 7 neons, 8 harlequin rasboras, 2 corys, a black molly and a quarter size angel. There are some trumpet snails in there. Is there a chance the cory has been consumed by the other fish? should I expect a mini cycle or something? I am going home tomorrow should I do a water change? Btw my tank is moderately planted.

How much should I worry???

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dead fish tend to send out lots of ammonia so well done for doing a change

Check the filter? I've heard of dead fish getting into the filter, beats me how they do it.

jwhorner6

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not worry much. There is a chance that the dead cory has been eaten by your other tank inhabitants. I would test your tank for ammonia and nitrites, if there is a spike then your cory is probably still in there somewhere that you can not see.

A water change will not hurt anything either

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Probably not but check everywhere in case he had something or is leaking more ammonia. Water change woulnd't hurt.

skjl47

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello; One way to help avoid the issues resulting from dead fish is to stock a tank with low density. A tank that is stocked to the maximum (or overstocked0 will be closer to sudden problems. Over the years I have found the remains of fish that were only a few bones and some were never found.

Another helpful practice for tanks with high stocking loads is to feed lightly. Overfeeding has been the issue most common among the fish keepers I have known, including myself for the first few decades. The extra uneaten food tends to decay and adds to the overall bioload. In addition to lighter feedings, I also skip a day or two each week and do not feed at all.

The other fish will eat a dead one eventually, as will snails. I have a decent population of snails in each tank and I suspect that any dead fish I overlook will be reduced to nothing by the snails. This is a good thing, it seems to me, as the snails will also clean up excess food and dead plant leaves.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ooookayyy, so today I came back home to find the corpse and after half an hour I found that little cory stuck under some rocks ALIVE. I moved the rocks and the fish swam in panic and sat in a corner heavily breathing. It looks a little bit deformed, like it's having a kyphosis or something. So the good thing is that it's still alive. The bad thing is that I don't know if the fish got stuck because it was sick or the fish got sick because it got stuck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom