Leaves turning black and melting in new dirted tank

patelike

I just turned my already set up 5 gallon betta tank into a dirted planted tank less than two weeks ago, and it seems as though it finally finished cycling. I grabbed some bacopa and s. repens from my main tank and put them in here when I first started. I also had some new rotala rotundafolia so it still had its immersed leaves when I first planted it.

I started noticing my rotala's old leaves starting to turn black, but I just assumed this was regular melting since they weren't its aquatic leaves. but then a few days ago the tips of my s. repens started turning black, and my bacopa, though not too noticeable until you get really close, started showing signs of dying cells/melt. Even the aquatic needle leaves on my rotala were starting to turn black. I've never seen melting like this. Usually the leaves turn more transparent and start forming holes. The rotala in my main tank didn't show this behavior at all.

What's the cause of this? Is it lack of nutrients in the water column? Is it ammonia burn from the cycle? Is the miracle gro organic soil so nutrient rich that it's burning my plants? Is it my sand?

I've been also using prime whenever the ammonia got a bit high, as well as stress guard by seachem, but I've read that neither of these have much effect on plants. I dose a capful of excel a day. My light is a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ cliplight. It's on for 7 hours a day.
View attachment HxSiSaO.jpg
fjhfpuA.jpgView attachment Wj4iKV6.jpg

el337

Just a guess but it seems like the light is too strong for them. I would've gone with the Stingray in this tank size. Try reducing the hours of light and/or going with a fixture with a lower par.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nopsu
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
  • Question
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
  • Question