Leave it or get it out?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jan 8, 2013.

1. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

Bought some blue leg hermits today and after putting them in my tank I noticed one was not a crab at all but a snail. I don't know what kind it is and I have a reef aquarium. So my question is should I take it out of my tank while i still see it in case its not reef safe or just leave it?

Oh yea, it's one that has (sry I don't know what it's called lol) that tube that comes out of the front of the shell. Not sure if that helps or not lol :/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  2. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Really need a photo to be sure.
    It could be a harmless nassa or zombie snail.
    Or it could be a predatory whelk, which you'd want to remove.

3. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Does it look like this?  

4. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

Ok I'll post one when I have a computer available to me, right now i just have my phone :( so this is off subject but I just took a flashlight to my aquarium while the lights are off ( i do this every now and then to check for any unwanted pests that come out at night) and saw the weirdest thing! Next to my blue spot sea hair I see this translucent like membrane thing spread over part of one of the rocks, and then I saw it moving! It moves pretty fast. At first I thought it was an octopus that stowed away on one of the LR but i don't think so. I didn't get to see the entire thing. Do you have any idea what this thing might be and if it's ok to be in my reef tank??? :/ it literally looked like a flat piece of membrane sliming across the rocks....so strange!

5. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

Yes I think that's it!

6. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Then remove it that is the whelk and they are not reef safe. See if your LFS well exchange it for a crab

7. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

For reference, Nassarius Snails look like this:

nassarius-snail-lg3.jpg

8. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

If it is what I think it is they are harmless they eat left over food and diatoms and they are a type of snail.

9. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

I lost it :( it's pretty small and my aquarium is 125 gal he's disappeared! I hope I can find it soon if that's what it is :'(

10. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Does it look anything like the pic Mike posted? Cuz if that is what it is they are harmless

11. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

I got it! LOL I think it looks more like the other picture but I'm going to bring it to my LFS and find out for sure. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice