Least disturbing way to do water change

KrissyBunnie

When adding water back to the tank, I like to disturb the fish as little as possible. What I do is take a small cup from the bucket of treated water, and try to slowly pour it in, along with the water coming out of the filter, so it doesn't change the current very much.
I've heard some people will pour the water on a plate to make it spread a little more.

Are there any interesting or effective methods anyone here has done?

peachsonas

I used to get a plastic lid from like a cleaned Tupperware or takeout box and poke holes in it, set it on the surface and just direct the siphon’s flow into it so it buffers the speed of water coming in. Perfect for plants and stuff!

BigManAquatics

I try to place a big piece of decor or driftwood or something in a spot in the tank that becomes my pour spot. Works well for me, doesn't disturb the substrate much or kick up a lot of crud.

WRWAquarium

I agree with the above. Direct water onto hardscape. With my big tank I just pour it in from bucket anywhere and it's deep enough to not blow substrate or fish around.

If it's really delicate and a small tank I use a jug like you or siphon the water back in if possible.

Blacksheep1

in my larger tank I usually distribute water pretty evenly 50-50 between myself and the floor and the tank. In the smaller tank I use a new garden watering can with a gentle flow and just pour slowly

mattgirl

When refilling my 5.5 gallon I slowly pour the fresh water in the HOB filter. With the 55 gallon being so deep even pouring the water in fast doesn't disturb the substrate. Corys actually gather under the water I am pouring in searching for the tidbits of food they hope will be stirred up. Mostly though I do direct the flow over a piece of hardscape and keep an eye out for my tetras to make sure I am not pouring the water directly on them. .

ProudPapa

I drilled a bunch of holes in a measuring cup. I hang it on the side of the tank and pour the water into it.

1639158573821.png

KrissyBunnie

I drilled a bunch of holes in a measuring cup. I hang it on the side of the tank and pour the water into it.

1639158573821.png
Those were all great ideas, but I think this is the one I'm going with :D

BigManAquatics

1639158573821.png
I have always liked this idea, but i know my Hulk Smash self would end up cracking the cup to Hades and back doing the drilling!!

ProudPapa

Those were all great ideas, but I think this is the one I'm going with :D

I'm glad you like it, and by the way, you probably already know this, but the holes are all in the side, with none on the bottom.

mattgirl

I have always liked this idea, but i know my Hulk Smash self would end up cracking the cup to Hades and back doing the drilling!!
Unless you do them the way I would. I have a little phillips screwdriver I have used for many years used for nothing but punching holes in plastic. I just heat the screwdriver up and melt the holes. :D For smaller holes I use various size needles. For me melting is so much easier than drilling.

Blacksheep1

Didn’t a popular youtuber do a video of something very similar he made to go on the end of a python ? Always thought it was a good idea but I don’t have a python …

PAcanis

I try to place a big piece of decor or driftwood or something in a spot in the tank that becomes my pour spot. Works well for me, doesn't disturb the substrate much or kick up a lot of crud.

I just refilled my Betta's cylinder using this method. I have a small plant waterer I use for the water.
My house tanks I use a 2-1/2g plant waterer, rest the spout on the lip of the tank and usually pour the water into my other hand. Or use a cup when my aquarium cup is in the house.

Or... absolutely the best way I have found is using the Hygger siphon's spout and attaching it to a pump in a bucket. Even full force the water disperses very well and you hardly notice a flow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies
Views
Tony M
  • Question
Replies
Views
LinasPlantLife
Replies