Learning: My Little Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Faidzsal, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Faidzsal

FaidzsalNew MemberMember

Hi All,
    I just started my Discus tank. Unfortunately, i started a bit rush and not doing enough reseach until i found this forum.
    below is my tank (3 feet tank). Now i know it is small for discus! I should have read first before pay for the tank.
    I'm using EHEIM classic 350. 2 branches of wood and fine white sand (i think it is easier for cleaning)

img1626k.jpg
    img1628f.jpg

doing the water change every day; morning before heading to work and in the evening after the fish had their dinner
    Not sure what exact type of discus i have there. there is a pigeon, leopard, melon and maybe heckel strain

If possible, someone maybe can give me their name :p

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Beautiful Discus and tank. :) The links below may help you to ID the type of Discus you have.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...pdated-added-albinos-and-strain-photos.31336/

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/discus-updates.28251/

If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your posts/threads/questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/discus-care-sheet.11955/

Keep us posted on your tanks progress. I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

3. AlanGreene

AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

if you have 6 or 7 discus a 75g would be fine, how many gallon is your tank and hoe many discus in total do you have? they need daily water changes or if you cannot do that then every second day will be okay too. they also need spotless tanks and substrate so regular cleaning is essential! I am also a budding discus keeper, your tank is beautiful and I am very jealous! You have red scribbelt I am pretty sure then maybe red marlboroughs? there are other discus keepers on here that are more informed than me and I'm sure they will know! Welcome to the forum friend:)

4. OP
    OP
    Faidzsal

FaidzsalNew MemberMember

Hi Ken. Sure will update soon. I've gone through the list but couldn't figure out which is which. Actually i'm a color blind, maybe that's why:;laughing

about gallon, i need to measure it when i'm back and update. i belive it is no more than 50 gallon...
    Regret for the rush buy

Alan,
    I'm sure i have a melon there, actually 2. there was a label on the tank at the shop. the rest not sure. I just bought them from LFS for at about USD 10-20 each. just to making use of discus before i could jump to A grade expensive fishes. I really love them however. Feeding them with flakes for discus (not sure what type; will check) and frozen black worm (it's in cubes and black in color).

5. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

in the first picture it looks like there is a fish in there that is not a discus. i think its actually a brackish fish but im not 100%, if im right you will have to return him.

sorry i dont know much about discus but yours look great. the more water changes the better, i know that.

do yo know about the nitrogen cycle yet? you will need a liquid test kit to see if your tank is cycled.

its a very nice looking tank, welcome to fishlore.

6. OP
    OP
    Faidzsal

FaidzsalNew MemberMember

that guy is bat angel. Had 2 and i moved them already from my tank. one night and they consumed my tetras..
    I'll check out about N2 cycle. thanks for the advice. i als need an electronic pH tester. so hard for a color blind person to gauge the liquid test kit. I get my wife gauge it for me.. it is between 6 - 6.5/7..

i haven't dig much yet from this discus forum. believe there are other test kit i need crucial to keep my water quality. I don't even have a heater but guess it is ok since the thermometer is showing around 30-32 deg C. it is hot here in malaysia.. anyhow planning to get one as all tanks in LFS are with heater

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Wow, it is interesting to read all the differences in view point on discus fish. My discus is in a 44gal tank that has been set up for like 8 years. With a 25 % water change every two weeks. Under gravel filter is vacuumed once a month, 350 gal canister is cleaned at the water change. My buddy who raised them for sale did it pretty much the same way.

8. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! Your tank looks great :)

I agree it can't be more than 50ish gallons; I have a 55 gallon tank and it is much longer than three feet (48 inches I believe, so four feet...not quite "much" longer than three feet, I guess :p)

I want to emphasize the importance of the nitrogen cycle. Please click on the link in jojo's post and read up on it! You'll learn why discus are usually kept in much larger tanks. In a nutshell, the fish's waste decays in the tank and produces ammonia, which is toxic to fish. Bacteria that live in the filter material consume the ammonia and produce nitrite, which is also toxic to fish. Another kind of bacteria consumes the nitrite and produces nitrate, which is only toxic in higher concentrations. BUT discus are more sensitive to nitrates than other fish, and so levels need to be kept very low. If you have lots of fish in a small space, the nitrates will rise very quickly each week. But if you have a few discus in a big tank, it'll take awhile for the nitrates to get too high, so it's easier to keep them low with water changes.

Hopefully one of the discus experts on the forum will be along soon :)

9. OP
    OP
    Faidzsal

FaidzsalNew MemberMember

Thanks kinezumi for the highlights.
    I've did math and my tank is only 48g.
    Too small for my 8 discus! i'm really sorry for them.
    Need to save from now for a bigger tank when they grown up.
    About the filter, i'm planning to wrap the suction mouth of the canister with a sponge so that less fish waste going in and settle in the canister. What is your view on this? Now after every meal i make sure the waste from the fish are removed.

These are some photo of them.

img1643o.jpg

img1642at.jpg

img1647y.jpg

They start to come to the glass when they see you are coming =). chasing each other from time to time; seems to me they are healthy. One of them seems to be a bit dominant and he keeps chasing others when comes to food. i guess it is normal; still watching if in case he hurts them.

One question. Seems like they never stop feeding each time i drop the flakes. Some of them i can see the tummy is quite big full of food. What is the correct time to stop? what sign you will look for before you stop?

10. kinezumi89

Beautiful pictures! :) Discus are opportunistic feeders and will keep eating as long as you put food in the tank. Just put a pinch or two in eat day, as much as they can eat in a minute or two. :)

11. kellyiswicked

kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

I don't have anything productive to add, I just wanted to comment that your tank is very simply beautiful. And the discus are GORGEOUS.

12. OP
    OP
    Faidzsal

FaidzsalNew MemberMember

Thanks Kelly =) I just abandoned my 50 inch satelite TV now. looking at the fishes is more fun I can assure.

13. OP
    OP
    Faidzsal

FaidzsalNew MemberMember

thanks, that helps. actually i always want to stop but worry about 1 or 2 of them which are a bit slow. afraid they don't have enough ended up i put more to make sure they have a bit =)

one of my melon was quite unhealthy. Beeing in that state from the first day i got him (did not realised until he is in my tank). I decided not to give any med, just making sure WC regularly. Found he is getting better but still sometimes he just like scratching his body to the wood like itchy. guess it some sort of parasite in him? Should i place him in other tank and give treatment?

14. kinezumi89

What size tanks do you have available to you? Separating might be a good idea, but not if you don't have a large enough tank for him. Additionally, if whatever's affecting him is contagious, then it's likely the other fish may come down with it. So if you end up separating and treating the sick one, you may need to treat the big tank, too.

Keeping the water clean is definitely a good first step. :) Remember, the quicker you get the poops out, the less time they have to produce ammonia and therefore nitrates, thus keeping the water cleaner.

Keep an eye on him for now, and let us know if anything changes. Fish do sometimes flash but it can definitely be an indicator that something is going on.

15. Thunder_o_b

Wow! You have some beauties there!

16. noslen1003

noslen1003Valued MemberMember

what are the sizes of your discus?

17. Thunder_o_b

I keep coming back to this thread to see your discus, really pretty fish!

18. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Faidsal, well we learn from our mistakes, been there myself> no worries. do daily water changes and you should be fine til you get the bigger tank.
    Beautiful Discus, you had said in your intro Thread that you got cheap Discus, Well i would say you got your monies worth my friend. they are not cheap Discus,
    you hve some good quality there, I would have to say they look a lot like a Forrest Discus from Malaysia, you live in a great Discus Area.
    it looks like you have several Red Turq's, a circle ring pigeon, a snake skin Pigeon and a red Melon for sure. really a nice looking group of good quality from what i can see.
    thanks for sharing.

19. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Is he eating, it sounds like an parasite issue. you might try raising the temp to around 88 degrees for several days. will not hurt them at all. and will certainly help if the one is feeling stressed.

Sorry, maybe a Mod can put my 2 post together. didn't see this until afterwards.

20. Slug

SlugWell Known MemberMember

Thats no ring pigeon. It has no visible rings, just looks more like a general Checkerboard or Pearl Pigeon to me. And the other red appears to be what I would call a Marlboro red, because of the black in the fins it leads me to believe it is pigeon based. True Red Melons tend to be golden based fish these days. I see 2 Red Turq, 1 Marlboro, 1 Checkerboard/Pearl Pigeon, 1 regular Leopard, and 2 regular snakeskins. Still nice whatever you want to call them.

Where is the fish scratching? Its face/gill area? Could be flukes.