Learning From Others Mistakes Important

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by Littlewoman01, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Littlewoman01Valued MemberMember

Hey everybody!

I wanted to creat this threat for people to share the mistakes they have made in caring for their pets, in order for others to read and learn to avoid these mistakes. Goodness knows I've made a good deal of mistakes in the past, and I have learned from them. Keep it friendly, I will not judge anything written on this thread. Mistakes are a part of life, everyone has made them, and some can learn to change and avoid them all together.

Thanks to everyone who will participate and share their stories for others to learn!

2. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I have made some mistakes. Here are my two biggest (one of which I made twice):

1. Don’t put a flowerhorn with an Oscar. I know, I know, this one seems pretty obvious, however you may belive it is possible. You may think that if you grow them up as baby’s together, they will be nice to each other in he long run, this isn’t true. I tried that with my flowerhorn bubbles, I bought him as a baby and put him with my 10” Oscar, 6-7” Oscar, and 7” blood parrot. All went well for a while, even upgraded them from a 55 to a 130 in that time, however, eventually it happened. Literally the day before christmas last year I walked downstairs to my fishroom, and my 10” Oscar was on the floor dead. My flowerhorn was only 4” long and he killed my 10” Oscar. I belive in the night the flowerhorn chased him and it caused him to jump out of the tank (despite having a lid). Don’t put them together. As for the other fish, after that I bought a 40 breeder (by himself) and put bubbles in that. I still have bubbles, and the other fish mentioned to this day.

2. Don’t underestimate eels. I did this one twice. Eels are escape artists and they WILL escape if given a chance. My first example of this was when a new rope fish (tech ally a bichir but acts like and eel), jumped out of the tank and died. I thought I had covered everything but I think he went into the filter and pushed off the lid. My second example was a little while ago. I just had a 10-12” tire track eel shipped to me and I put him in my QT tank. I put some stuff to cover the holes, however he still got out. He pushed his way through the stuff and I found him on the floor. Luckily I went down just in time (he was very close to death), and I put him back in water. He made a complete recovery and I made a much more secure lid, but it was very scary. Do not underestimate eels, cover every hole in the tank if you have one, and weigh down the lid with something.

These are what I have time to type right now, maybe later I can share some more stories, hope this is what you were looking for!

3. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

First and foremost Learn the nitrogen cycle. Be prepared to be in this rewarding hobby for the long run. Plan ahead. Just a couple i can think of that i failed at in the beginning.

4. Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Aside from the obvious ones (cycle, fish size, etc.) the lesson I keep having to learn over and over is:
    **Never look away from your siphon hose when you're vacuuming.**
    Several years ago I was cleaning my saltwater tank, looked away at the TV, and sucked half of a very delicate coral into the tube. It took weeks to recover, and I literally stood in the living room and cried over it.
    Then just this past weekend, while cleaning my betta tank with the 1/2" ID tube I use, I looked away for a moment and my betta got too close/nosy and his FACE got sucked into the tube. He seems to be undamaged, but I felt awful.

5. BasilWell Known MemberMember

Evaluate your potential source water (out of your tap) before you set up a tank.
    I could have saved myself a lot of heartache if I had realized how acidic my well water is and how variable the nitrates are.
    And don’t use wood from any tree that is invasive and has properties known to discourage the growth of other plant life around it.
    I didn’t realize the cool branch I used as driftwood was Tree of Heaven. Those same properties apparently work in an aquarium and I was losing both fish and plants until I took it out. :(

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Just don't be lazy, following a regular WC change schedule is much easier than putting it off then realizing how bad the water has gotten and trying to save the tank without causing too much extra stress to the fish.