leaky tank

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
can you believe it!!! its just one problem after another!!! this weeks trauma...noticed a tiny trickle of water down the leg of the stand and the carpet was damp. i mean tiny! about an inch radius around the leg. the water level wasnt noticably low or anything. so i wiped the leg and it took ages to form another trickle. so its not a major problem.....but....still not good! so i take a closer look to figure out where the leak is assuming it from where the side and front panes of glass meet and a bit of sealant would do thetrick. oh no, that would be too simple!!!! :. what has happened is the glass on the bottom of the tank has cracked across the corner, so i guess it cant get worse as it goes right across. its about an inch away from the corner. so i've used sealant on the bits i can see, but the front bit and the side bit are sat on the frame of the stand so i cant get to them. do you think it'll be ok?
i think it happened a few days ago when i dropped the lid of the tank behind the tank which slid the tank forward slightly on the stand. nearly gave me a heart attack, but the fish seemed ok!

any ideas, help, opinions, suggestions welcome!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's terrible. What tank is that for? In my opinion, you should upgrade your tank. lol ;D . Is it a hexagonal tank?
Tom

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom said:
That's terrible. What tank is that for? In my opinion, you should upgrade your tank. lol  ;D . Is it a hexagonal tank?
Tom
you're not kidding! the big tank as well! 45 gal rectangle one. its still cycling!!! imagine getting a new tank, moving everything across?! more cycling!! it doesnt bear thinking about!! i've had enough of cycling as it is!!!! : i dont want to do it again! oh and all the cloudiness again from the gravel settling, my rooted plants that are just getting established!!! oh no......please dont let it be the bin for my old tank!! i'll cry!!! :'( too much blood, sweat and tears gone into that!!!!! :

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry you are having such trauma!  If you can't get the leak stopped, you can cause rot and mold where the water saturates.  About cycling a new tank.  If you use  the old gravel, filters, decorations and all, just give them the slightest rinse, your new tank won't take any time at all to cycle.  It will be just about like the one everything came out of.  The plants will be easier to move if you don't let them get any more established.  If you DO decide to get a new tank, I'm  with Tom, get a bigger tank - bigger IS better!   I love my 55 gal, but am looking for a spot to place a bigger one myself, maybe a 125 gal,  and then I AM going to build a 300 gal tank.  Have gotten some really good help on this one from several folks I have been talking to lately.  Keep us up to date on how this goes!

Fish in the Frozen North!  -10F this morning.  8)

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thing is, this tank isnt even cycled yet!! so moving everything might just muck up what i've done so far as the cultures arent established!
also.....i have no money left after buying 2 tanks and all the stuff thats in them over the past couple of months. plus next week my car needs service and mot too (legal requirement - cant be on road without it or the police will get cross!!), so thats more money!! . if only i was rich!!!i'd have a mansion full of tanks!! one day when i've the cash i will get a bigger tank. not sure where it would go, but i'd find somewhere!! one day we're converting the garage to an office (its attached to the house), so that certainly needs a tank in it!!!!!!!!! thats a long way off. as i said, need the spare cash first!!!!
after i smothered it with sealant, the trickle has gone. so i'll keep an eye on it. fingers and toes all crossed!!! cant believe my bad luck!! so far i've had bacterial diseased fish, fish with ich, spent a fortune on a new tank, then a week later found the 45 gal at half the price of the small tank! had wierd cycling issues with both tanks, loads of water changes, then a cracked tank.........its a nightmare!!!! when does the tranquility and relaxation start?!!!! :

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Day dreaming of what it might be like some day IS where the tranquility and relaxation come from! As for the rest, I know what you mean about no place to put tanks. I really have to keep them away from outer walls, and windows....so that doesn't leave much room for what I want to do. But I love doing the planning!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i guess so!! i am so impatient though! i hate the process of things, i just like results!!! that applies to everything!!! when i was preg it was the longest 9 months of my life!! when moving the house the legal process seemed to take forever!! i wich i didnt rush through life and just chilled out a bit more!!

good news....tank is leaking less, but still slight dampness around the break, so have used more sealant this morning. fingers crossed...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom