Leaking Tank

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I woke up this morning to my 10 gallon betta tank leaking. Sigh. I just put them in last night, so ima run to petsmart and just buy a new one.
My issue is that this tank had be cycling for about 2 months, now complete, i barely added the plants and gravel.
How do I make this as stress free as possible ? Thanks guys also will this affect my cycle enough to hurt my fish ?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aww Sorry about the tank, that stinks!
No, it won't hurt your cycle, as long as you don't have a dry filter

I would just be extra careful when removing the betta, and he'll be fine.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Aww Sorry about the tank, that stinks!
No, it won't hurt your cycle, as long as you don't have a dry filter

I would just be extra careful when removing the betta, and he'll be fine.
I have two in a divided tank, I have no idea where to place them as i move their items.
Thanks for your help!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Esli said:
I have two in a divided tank, I have no idea where to place them as i move their items.
Thanks for your help!
I would fill small containers to put them in, that's what I do

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same suggestion as Fanatic, I'd fine a similar size plastic tote or bucket, tote might be a better option if need to put a divider on, and have your filter running there. Good Luck!

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay guys i had a horrible emergency.
When i arrived home, the water was super low. I had to take them out immediately and put them each in a small critter box with some of their water. The heater was hot when i touched it, i unplugged everything. I put the sponge filter into a bucket and filled it with water, THEN added the prime, will this cause anything bad to happened to my cycle ? Also, will my heater still work ? It took me about 30 minutes to come back home when i saw how low the water was. It was originally doing little drops but i dont know what happened by the time i got home.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
psalm18.2 said:
You should be fine.
Thanks im really paranoid with the delicacy of them. Everything will be primed and washed before adding into new tank.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Esli said:
Thanks im really paranoid with the delicacy of them. Everything will be primed and washed before adding into new tank.
I'd keep an eye on your heater, if the water went below the suggested level on the heater for a long time it can cause some issues.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If the sponge was your primary bacteria source I would keep an eye on parameters. You may get a mini cycle.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I also won't whitewash things either. It will surprise me if the bacteria on the sponge filter is still alive unless you have well water.

It is possible that you caught it quick enough and only time will tell. I do hope that is the case.

Most tap water is treated with chlorine and that chlorine will kill the bacteria. If you haven't exposed anything else in the tank to chlorine there may still be some bacteria on those items so maybe all isn't lost. If you clean the deco and other things in the tank you will be washing away the bacteria you may really need to get this tank back on track.

You will want to keep a very close eye in the perimeters once you get the replacement tank set back up

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I also won't whitewash things either. It will surprise me if the bacteria on the sponge filter is still alive unless you have well water.

It is possible that you caught it quick enough and only time will tell. I do hope that is the case.

Most tap water is treated with chlorine and that chlorine will kill the bacteria. If you haven't exposed anything else in the tank to chlorine there may still be some bacteria on those items so maybe all isn't lost. If you clean the deco and other things in the tank you will be washing away the bacteria you may really need to get this tank back on track.

You will want to keep a very close eye in the perimeters once you get the replacement tank set back up
I know. It was all an accident but I'll keep a good eye out. How soon after setting the tank should i test the water ?

The only thing with bacteria would be the sponge filter. All plants and gravel were just added yesterday. I treated the water right after i put the sponge in, i was in such a panic I forgot to do it before i put the sponge in the buckets. Ima put everything together now and hope for the best

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Esli said:
I know. It was all an accident but I'll keep a good eye out. How soon after setting the tank should i test the water ?
I can imagine how frazzled you were with this situation so can understand something like this happening. I would start testing tomorrow and probably every day for a while but that is me and may be overkill.

Were they in a bare bottom tank with no deco during the cycling process? Not a problem, I'm just curious.

I just reread the OP and see that you must have been doing a fishless cycle and just moved your little guys over to this tank. Do you have anything from their original tank/s that might have some seed bacteria on it?

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
I can imagine how frazzled you were with this situation so can understand something like this happening. I would start testing tomorrow and probably every day for a while but that is me and may be overkill.

Were they in a bare bottom tank with no deco during the cycling process? Not a problem, I'm just curious.

I just reread the OP and see that you must have been doing a fishless cycle and just moved your little guys over to this tank. Do you have anything from their original tank/s that might have some seed bacteria on it?
It really sucks but its okay. Ill do anything to make sure they're okay. And yes tank was bare just with a heater and sponge filters for over 2 months cycling until yesterday. Yesterday i added the gravel and plants before adding the fish. Im guessing i mustve done something yesterday when adding the rocks and plants that caused it to leak this morning.

Do you guys have any advice on how long i should wait to put my fish in? The tank is set up already. Just a bit of cloudiness from soil for the plants

Just checked my water levels. Theyre exactly the same as they were before this disaster.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Esli said:
Do you guys have any advice on how long i should wait to put my fish in? The tank is set up already. Just a bit of cloudiness from soil for the plants
That kinda depends on where they are now. I am assuming since you called this your betta tank then you only had bettas in it. Have you had them a while or did you just get them once the tank was cycled? If they are in little betta cups then by all means yes, go ahead and put them in their new home.

edited after your last post: If the number are the same then I would think it would be alright to go ahead and move them to their new home.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
That kinda depends on where they are now. I am assuming since you called this your betta tank then you only had bettas in it. Have you had them a while or did you just get them once the tank was cycled? If they are in little betta cups then by all means yes, go ahead and put them in their new home.

edited after your last post: If the number are the same then I would think it would be alright to go ahead and move them to their new home.
Yes they are two bettas in a divided tank. They are in little containers for now. And i just got them yesterday when i saw my tank was finally cycled.
Okay thank you im going to put them in their new homes once I acclimate them once more. Thanks for all your help!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Esli said:
Yes they are two bettas in a divided tank. They are in little containers for now. And i just got them yesterday when i saw my tank was finally cycled.
Okay thank you im going to put them in their new homes once I acclimate them once more. Thanks for all your help!!
You are very welcome. Please keep us updated and remember....we love pictures

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You need to use aquarium safe silicone, and I've read you need to remove all existing silicone first because new wet silicone will not bond and create a seal against existing dry silicone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom