Leaking Tank, Check My Plan Please

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GirlFriday, Jul 8, 2019.

1. GirlFriday

GirlFridayValued MemberMember

Howdy, all!
    My 44 gallon corner tank has sprung a leak, unfortunately about 8 inches from bottom.
    I have lowered water to level to where tank is not leaking, but the filter can not operate.
    I have one cichlid and a pleco in this tank.
    Chems = 0, 0, and under 5

I have another 40 gallon corner tank with 2 cories in it.
    This tank has a leak too, but it is up high, so I just don't fill it all the way. I would guess there is 30-35 gallons of water in it. The cories seemed happy with the whole house to themselves.
    Chems are 0,0, under 5

Both of these tanks are fairly mature and the fish are well over a year old.
    I now loathe corner tanks. These will be turned into terrariums or sprouting chambers shortly.

My plan:
    Move Pleco and Cichlid to tank with cories. Concern: Cichlid will munch my cories.
    Buy 50 gallon tank.
    Move all fish to 50g.
    Resist urge to smash corner tanks to very small pieces.

I also have available 2 10g and a 30g, all cycled, all over a year old.
    10g has 3 neons
    10g has albino pleco and beta
    30g has 6 tetras and 3 glowlight, 1 dwarf pleco

Any input would be much appreciated. I learned here that nothing good happens fast in a tank and wanted to take a breath and THINK.

Thanks!

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Move inhabitants from the 30 to your 10’s and put your pleco and cichlid in the 30 for now is what I would do even if u have to split a couple of em up temporarily

3. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Petco's dollar per gallon sale is on now. It's good timing if you'd want one of the sizes on sale.

- 10g, 20g, 20 long, and 29g at $1/gallon
    - 40 breeder, 55g, and 75g at 50% off