Leaking Cannister Filter

1. tk27 Initiate Member

Hello everyone,

I have a tetratec ex 700, it started leaking yesterday after I cleaned it up a bit. at first I thought I put the head back the wrong way, because after it started leaking I took the head off and back on, and it stopped leaking for about 20 hours. this filter has been running for a year now, and before that it was used by a friend for over three years. Right now im running a smaller filter as a back up (its already cycled) because its already late here. I dont have much money to spend now (just landed my first job after uni) so im hoping it can be fixed without too much costs. Does anyone know what it can be? I can add some pictures tomorrow. I will also go to my LFS to ask them for advise tomorrow.

Feel free to ask me anything, I dont think I will be able to post much today, but I will check back tomorrow. sorry for the long letter lol

Greetings,

TK27

2. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

Is it leaking around the rubber seals? If so, check the condition of the rubber. It shouldn't be dry or cracked.

3. tk27 Initiate Member

it came from the clips that should seal it, the clips around the head.

4. Jayd976 Member Member

likely need a new O-ring. The seal is probably dry rotted or cracked somewhere allowing water to leak through.

5. goldfishbeginner Initiate Member

I've seen some new orings for sale on ebay.

You may want to try putting Vaseline on it like shown in this video before trying to track down a new seal. He starts fixing the filter at 2:06

6. tk27 Initiate Member

thanks for the help everyone. I will be fixing my filter in a few days. I checked the inside of the filter and found out my rotor wasnt working as it should be. My LFS ordered a new rotor and ring for me. since I do some hobby breeding and bring my fish to his store, he wanted me to only pay for the ring. I think i have been lucky with having cycled filters, my tank seems to do just fine. swordtail dropped fry and my cacatouides has new fry aswel. I will keep updating this thread, it might help out someone in the future.