Leaking Aquarium

doohns

Hi everyone,

I have a fish tank that is only 14 litres and I have had it cycling for a few weeks now. But a week or two ago after it had been cycling for a while, it started to randomly leak, so I emptied it and tried to find the source but couldn’t find any. I tried again and filled it up and after a few days there were no leaks. Today I added sand and plants to the tank and after a few hours I walked into the room to find the tank had started leaking again and my floor was all wet. Does anyone know what may have caused this? I don’t think I overfilled the tank but it may be possible. I was with the tank for probably an hour or two after I put new elements in and it didn’t leak but when I left it something must have gone wrong.

Crimson_687

The silicone may have been damaged, or the tank was poor quality, when you bought it. I would try to exchange the tank, but if you want to fix it, you’ll have to remove all old silicone with a blade. Inspect all glass panels for cracks, replace any that do, then reapply a new layer of silicone/aquarium sealant. If any silicone is left unremoved you’re going to have more leak issues. IMO it’s better to exchange. A new layer of silicone is never going to be as good as a new one. It’s kinda like having a muscle injury of a stress fracture. Even if it’s fully healed, that muscle or bone is always going to be more prone to injury than it was before, and if you injure it again, it will take longer to heal.

StarGirl

Is it possibly leaking from your filter and not the tank?

DoubleDutch

doohns

StarGirl said:
Is it possibly leaking from your filter and not the tank?

possibly, I’ll check. Filter is in tank though not hangover
DoubleDutch said:
Is there an airstone ?
no air stone or air pump

Crimson_687 said:
The silicone may have been damaged, or the tank was poor quality, when you bought it. I would try to exchange the tank, but if you want to fix it, you’ll have to remove all old silicone with a blade. Inspect all glass panels for cracks, replace any that do, then reapply a new layer of silicone/aquarium sealant. If any silicone is left unremoved you’re going to have more leak issues. IMO it’s better to exchange. A new layer of silicone is never going to be as good as a new one. It’s kinda like having a muscle injury of a stress fracture. Even if it’s fully healed, that muscle or bone is always going to be more prone to injury than it was before, and if you injure it again, it will take longer to heal.
It’s weird that it only starts leaking after a few days and not constantly. I set it up again and it’s not leaking now?

Top Bottom