Leaking aquarium

1. Sifat Rahbar Khan Initiate Member

So this is the second time my 55 gallon tank has leaked, and I'm so tired of it. I've had smaller aquariums before but this is my first 55 gallon.Last time, the shopkeeper I bought it from told me that I added too much water too fast.Have you guys ever faced this problem? If the shopkeeper is right, then how should I add water? I've always just added all the water in one day.But after the first leak, I added 10-20 gallons after every week or so. Except the final few gallons I added after about 3-4 days.So my question is, is it my fault the tank is leaking? Or is the tank faulty? Any advice would be highly appreciated, thanks.

he also said that I should keep 4-6 inches free, but I don't understand why I would bother buying a bigger tank IF I keep 6 inches empty

2. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

He sold you a bad tank. Tanks should be filled somewhat slowly so that the ground and seals can "settle", but leaving 6 inches is ridiculous. Return the tank, give him a very hard time about him advising you to keep a broken tank, and go somewhere else.

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Adding water slowly has nothing to do with a leak - a leak is because it wasn't sealed properly, seal has worn down or a cracked tank.

Take it back and ask for a refund and don't buy from this shop again. It's not your fault.

4. Innocent159 Member Member

or redo the whole tank otherwise it will leak every time and is very dangerous

5. Sifat Rahbar Khan Initiate Member

Thanks a lot guys, your input really helped

Update: The shop is fixing the aquarium for free, so I guess we're cool

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Oh GREAT! wait at least 2 days for the seals to dry when you get it home and then fill it with water and leave it like that for a week to see if you notice any leaks before you start stocking with fish, etc.
    Make sure you place it on a big piece of newspaper ( so you can easily tell if its wet ) when you fill it up.

Good luck!