Leak test?

1. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I have a used tank I am testing for leaks. How long is long enough? It's been full for 12 hours. Now that the sun is up I'm concerned about neighbor kids throwing balls in my yard or coming to see the tank sitting in my back yard. Kids run kinda wild here.

2. Matt B Well Known Member Member

I generally would leave it several days, that being said I am not usually in a hurry or avoiding sabotage lol. Once filled I would check for obvious issues (bowing, weeping etc) then its your call what you are comfortable with. Make sure you dry out the trim really well so you know if you are seeing residual water or a leak.

If the silicone is old and/or separating from the glass at all I would reseal or at the very least let it set out longer.

3. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Thanks for your response. We live on a military installation and people just let their kids do whatever they want, they've just come in my yard enough times to make me wary. Couldn't really do a leak test of that size in the house! It's a 28g bowfront. It's still as full as I left it last night, no signs of anything unusual so far.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I just did a leak test on a 50 gallon I picked up. I let it sit in my basement , completely full, for about 4 days. I would periodically check around the seems and base for moistness. Fortunately for me, it was previously used as a gecko home and I don't think there was any stress on the seems. The only water loss occurred from evaporation (I have a dehumidifier down there).

The only difficulty I foresee leaving it outside is increased evaporation and possible condensation, which could mislead you.

5. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I'm tempted to stick a large cardboard box over it just to keep kids away. I was worried about evaporation and condensation and don't really know the ins and outs. There was some condensation since the sun came up. I figure if it's still mostly full after a few days and everything looks alright, I'm good? I got this tank as a major steal and I would be so devastated if it doesn't work out.

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I think you will probably be fine without the cardboard. Just throw things at the neighborhood kids if they get to close.

(This is the opinion of the poster and in no way reflects the attitudes and feelings Fishlore has towards neighborhood children). :)

7. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I'm working on uploading before and current pics of this tank, I'm pretty proud of myself. LOL

8. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

At purchase
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

Now that there's water in it I can see some more things that need scrubbed off but I think it looks so much better.

What's with all the bubbles around the silicone? Don't scare me!

9. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I see those bubbles when I do a water change, only on the seams where the *new* water went. You can feel the seams on the inside though to see if anything feels *off*.

10. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

When I test for leaks, I generally do so in my house or garage, i.e.. a protected area, and place the tank on paper towelling or whatever, anything that will show a leak more obviously.
    I believe that kids generally run wild most everywhere, btw, or they did so in my youth, roughly mid Precambrian era, I believe:).
    Nice job on the tank clean up that you did, I must say.--rick
    I should mention that if the silicone looks in anly way deteriorated, it is quite easy to replace it now, even if the tank is not leaking just now, rather than changing it down the road, which would require tearing down the tank, and therefore require much more effort, effort being something that I try to avoid at all costs.

11. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I didn't want to chance a full un-familiar tank on my carpet and there's not an easy way to get water to the garage. It was kind of my only choice. I regret not getting a giant tote or something to be able to do it instead. If I decide to retest I'll have to wait a lot longer to...but I'm thinking about it.

Kids do generally run wild, but people seem to have a false sense of security within the gate and they aren't supervised in any shape or form.

12. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I too would not wish to test an unknown used tank on a carpeted area, largely due to to my wife having questioned me rather too closely in the past about untraceable poisons (I worked some years in Homicide in Toronto), and more importantly, she would likely be acquitted on the basis of fully justifiable Hubbicide in any event.
    Perhaps a covering of wood or something would help keep out infestations of both kids and felines:).
    Tasers also work(just kidding).-----rick
    Great pick of your cat, btw, I use mine as sort of Zen Masters in are art of relaxation.

13. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

How will you know if it leaks in the grass? Can you put on top of a table lined with newspaper?

14. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Looks like I'm either going to have to cover it while it's outside, or scrap and start over inside in some way. I had it covered overnight to avoid mosquitos but I see bugs a little too interested today. Bah.

My dining room table is fairly cheap and with the weight of water...I wouldn't trust it on the table (I don't buy expensive furniture with my child, lol). Ours grass is green but the dirt itself is pretty dry. We're in the Midwest and don't have much rain.

I was really trying to avoid emptying the water and starting over since we'll probably go over the allowance and have to pay in for the month.

Either way, I will get this figured out!

15. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

That stinks! Good luck with the reboot!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I do know the bottom is good. It sat in my garage with about 3in of water and vinegar for about a week to get the worst off. Plus I have a wrist injury and wasn't able to get to it. Letting it sit in water the last 22 or so hours made the rest of the dried on yuck come right off! :)

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to clean up the stand next and keep on truckin'.

17. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

You pay for water in military housing? That's aweful!

18. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

We only pay if we go over allotment. I was thinking we'd be close but then I realized my daughter is with grandma and not taking her many baths. Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app