Leak In Acrylic Tank!

Z123Killer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Sea Clear 29 Gallon acrylic tank that I just set up 2 days ago and today I discovered a very small leak on the seam in the back. How could I fix the small leak?

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Acrylic tanks are chemically welded with solvents like Weld-On 4. Clean and dry the gap and use a needle applicator to wick some solvent into the gap. Then apply pressure.

If you're the original owner, have it replaced under warranty.

Z123Killer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Acrylic tanks are chemically welded with solvents like Weld-On 4. Clean and dry the gap and use a needle applicator to wick some solvent into the gap. Then apply pressure.

If you're the original owner, have it replaced under warranty.
Would you advise replacing under warranty for such a small leak? Or do you think I should just patch it up with some silicone?

Z123Killer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would definitely get it replaced of its under warranty
Ok, and since the tank is not cycled yet, would you recommend starting the cycling process and getting fish while I deal with the warranty department and get my replacement, then transferring the fish to the replacement tank so that the replacement tank can be ready out of the box?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, and since the tank is not cycled yet, would you recommend starting the cycling process and getting fish while I deal with the warranty department and get my replacement, then transferring the fish to the replacement tank so that the replacement tank can be ready out of the box?
Not if the tanks leaking unless you can keep the water lever below the leak.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can get it replaced, that's what to do. Sometimes a small leak will get much larger or the whole seal will blow out. It is rare for acrylic to leak. I would hold off on starting the tank until you get it replaced. Sea Clear will want the tank back to make sure that it is leaking.

Yves

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you decide to try and fix it,,, YouTube King of DYI , Joey has all kind of videos on this subject.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom