Leak In Acrylic Tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Z123Killer, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I have a Sea Clear 29 Gallon acrylic tank that I just set up 2 days ago and today I discovered a very small leak on the seam in the back. How could I fix the small leak?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Is the leak a crack or is it going through the sealant?

3. OP
    OP
    Z

I don't see a crack so I think it is going through the sealant

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What I would do is apply a little bit of silicone over the leak on the outside of the tank [if you don't mind] or empty the tank and apply it on the inside [if you don't like the first method].

5. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Acrylic tanks are chemically welded with solvents like Weld-On 4. Clean and dry the gap and use a needle applicator to wick some solvent into the gap. Then apply pressure.

If you're the original owner, have it replaced under warranty.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

Would you advise replacing under warranty for such a small leak? Or do you think I should just patch it up with some silicone?

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I would definitely get it replaced of its under warranty

8. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok, and since the tank is not cycled yet, would you recommend starting the cycling process and getting fish while I deal with the warranty department and get my replacement, then transferring the fish to the replacement tank so that the replacement tank can be ready out of the box?

9. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Not if the tanks leaking unless you can keep the water lever below the leak.

10. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

If you can get it replaced, that's what to do. Sometimes a small leak will get much larger or the whole seal will blow out. It is rare for acrylic to leak. I would hold off on starting the tank until you get it replaced. Sea Clear will want the tank back to make sure that it is leaking.

11. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

If you decide to try and fix it,,, YouTube King of DYI , Joey has all kind of videos on this subject.

12. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Why would you fix it if Sea Clear will replace it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice