Leak Bypass System For Canister Filter

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Allrighty, my fishy geniuses. Please apply your brains to my scenario.

- I am getting some sunsun canister filters for my 40 gallon and 55 gallon aquariums.
- I live in a rented, carpeted room in a house. My landlord lives beneath me

So every canister filter I reviewed at all price points had some sort of "DON'T BUY THIS; IT LEAKS," comment. In response I bought a sunsun, because they're significantly cheaper, and the users seem to appreciate their functionality and solidity.

I am mentally drafting up a system to drain water in the event that either canister filter begins to leak.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Place high-walled plastic tray beneath filter
2. Drill hole in side or bottom of tray
3. Silicone flexible tubing to hole in tray.
4. Stick end of tube out window.
5. Use AC unit insulation on cracked open window to prevent Florida heat and weather encroaching.
6. Cut hole in insulation for tube, and if necessary silicone or foam insulate around pipe to seal from elements.

Thoughts?

Additionally, even if I properly insulate the open window area from the elements, how can I kind of insulate the piping as well? Obviously it is a weak point in my plan; I have an insulated window gap with probably a 3/4 inch open tube sticking out of it.

Please let me know your opinions/ideas/experiences/anecdotes.

* canister filters will be slightly above window.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A high wall container would work for any small leak. If you think you'll have a larger leak try to find a sump pump with a float switch, put it in the container and run a tube to a sink or out the window. If you not sure of your hose connector, take off the stock screw on nuts and use stainless steel hose clamps to connect the hose to the filter. I run 50 assorted sunsun canisters and have had no leaks yet.

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fissh said:
A high wall container would work for any small leak. If you think you'll have a larger leak try to find a sump pump with a float switch, put it in the container and run a tube to a sink or out the window. If you not sure of your hose connector, take off the stock screw on nuts and use stainless steel hose clamps to connect the hose to the filter. I run 50 assorted sunsun canisters and have had no leaks yet.
Nice! Thanks for the suggestion!

I have no idea what size leak I'd have, as I've never had a canister filter before.

I'm very relieved to hear you've had no problems thus far with your sunsuns.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
can open, worms crawl out.
For a complete safe system, Get a tub, 37 gallon would be great. Put the canister in the tub. Figure out how much water the tub can hold with the canister in it. Now figure out where that much water is in your tank when removed from the top. Now drill a hole in the intake of the filter just above that line. Do not let the output tube go below that line either.
Now if you have a leak anywhere in that system, it will only fill the tub up to it's capacity and stop.

Also, how is the water in your proposed overflow tube going to travel up hill? A/C are usually mounter higher than the floor ?

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Also, how is the water in your proposed overflow tube going to travel up hill?"
Get a pump with a float switch.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:
"Also, how is the water in your proposed overflow tube going to travel up hill?"
Get a pump with a float switch.
but OP was going to put a hole in the bottom of the tub and silicone it. With a switch and pump, no need.

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice!! Lots of replies. All right, have some diagrams.

Here is what I was thinking:
791eb7cd0ddd45d3e2064e80106afee2.jpg

6e792b45a16726c651a6a287059562ed.jpg

Here is the suggestion I'm hearing:
483d364d67fa419b25bd14de189da7f4.jpg

*Is that correct? Do you understand what I was thinking now XD? Do your recommendations remain the same?

To answer other questions:

- Canister Model: SunSun HW-304B

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was going to comment you wanted the canister lower

I have 4 sunsun 304b, and two of their mini canisters, haven't had any issues.

Realistically speaking, after all the time to assemble and money spent on additional items (bin, tubing, pump, etc) you could always just look into a more expensive canister....

All that being said anything can happen, no matter what canister you have. A lot can be from user error, some from manufacturing defects. Tanks can burst too (unusual, but it happens)...

Good for you for looking out for someone else property though! I'm sure many landlords would love to have you as their renter!

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jocelyn Adelman said:
I was going to comment you wanted the canister lower

I have 4 sunsun 304b, and two of their mini canisters, haven't had any issues.

Realistically speaking, after all the time to assemble and money spent on additional items (bin, tubing, pump, etc) you could always just look into a more expensive canister....

All that being said anything can happen, no matter what canister you have. A lot can be from user error, some from manufacturing defects. Tanks can burst too (unusual, but it happens)...

Good for you for looking out for someone else property though! I'm sure many landlords would love to have you as their renter!
Thanks!

ChiefBrody

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what's your attraction to canisters if they inevitably leak? I'll never buy another one again personally. Also your landlord sounds horrible. Here in my state renters have rights so we don't cater to them but that's another story. It looks like you have room for a sump and a good size one could handle both tanks if they have the same parameters. All you'll ever have to do is replace the pump some day. I pick them up for $80 at my local "made in china discount-**** store". Seriously I'll never go back to canisters. Right now I have one running solely to pump water into a wet/dry which then rains over the tank. when this goes I've got an inline/submersible pond pump ready to replace it. there's really not as much surface area in those things as you think, it's a total racket. More for temporary fishkeeping like a classroom or a college dorm scenario. If you plan on being there a while why not put roots down? Dig into this hobby you won't regret it!

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like the idea at @leftswerve had of just putting the filter in a tub as large as the total amount of water that can be pumped or siphoned out of the tank. So, if the filter's intake is half way down the tank it would only be able to drain 20 gallons from a 4o gallon tank, so you'd use a 20 gallon tub. That would seem to be the easiest, though it might make filter maintenance a bit more difficult. If you put the filter and tub under the tank in the stand you could easily hide it.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't have a canister filter, but use a sump instead, so I second @ChiefBrody suggestion to go sump instead.

I imagine the times a canister would leak is when cleaning out the filter and reconnecting hoses. My fear that the canister could fail and siphon out most of my tank water pushed me towards using a sump instead.

Also, don't underestimate a good internal filter option, like a corner mattenfilter. No leaks that way, unless your tank gives out

bNissan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After spending all of that money on a canister and an emergency sump, I agree that it would be more cost effective and a cleaner design if you were to just make a sump with a float switch. This will provide more filtration and customization for the money, especially if you buy the sump tank used. Just my $0.02

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bNissan said:
After spending all of that money on a canister and an emergency sump, I agree that it would be more cost effective and a cleaner design if you were to just make a sump with a float switch. This will provide more filtration and customization for the money, especially if you buy the sump tank used. Just my $0.02
Those kind of sumps get messy and/or expensive if you don't already have an overflow system.

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bNissan said:
I can see, from an engineering prospective, the advantage of a sump system and float switch, or even the OP's original drain design. But sometimes the simple way is the best. Filter in bin big enough to hold potential spill- done.

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Man, I didn't want to respond because the discussion is so informative.

I knew so little about sumps, I hadn't even considered utilizing one (or two). I actually don't even begin to know how they work or how to make one. I'm sure y'all have threads about that somewhere though .

Honestly, it's because my landlord is so nice that I'm considering these precautions. Love to keep him happy(without him asking) and stay here as long as is conveniently possible.

If y'all have more thoughts, please share. I'll investigate sumps, and look into tubs.

Have to figure out how to raise my filter intake. It's nearly at substrate level atm!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom