Lead ties cause of extremely high kh???

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Stephanie2015, Jul 28, 2015.

1. S

Stephanie2015 Valued Member Member

I have been fighting with high ph and high kh in my 10g plants only tank that is cycling. First time I tested when I finally purchase the gh, kh liquid test in tank was 30 drops!! GH was 9 drops, PH 8.8. I tested my tap water ph 8.2, ammonia .5, nirites 0, Nitrate 0, GH 170 (10 drops), KH 10 drops. Only thing I did new was add new plants..jungle val (3), java moss, and use flourish glue to attach the java moss and some previous anabias to rocks. I did 50% water changes both days, and added prime. I was checking my plants and trimming of some dead leafs, when I notice these grey metal - like ties. I research it, I found that if they had high lead content it would make a mark like pencil...well it did. (See picture ). Could this cause my water numbers to be so high??

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. OP
    OP
    S

Always forget to add the picturce.. .-.

Attached Files:

3. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Lead isn't commercially available to the public these days, being toxic as it is. Lead plant weights are made from an amalgam of zinc and some other metal. This isn't contributing to your high KH, only carbonates/bicarbonates can do that.

Substrates can do it. Some of them have a carbonate coating that gradually dissolves, increasing KH....

4. OP
    OP
    S

Ah ok..Ty =]

5. hampalong

Put some of the substrate in a glass or whatever with a little tapwater? See if the KH rises over a few hours...

If it is the substrate, it will only be temporary, until the thin coating has dissolved...
    :)

6. OP
    OP
    S

I did switch to national geographic black sand, even though we did rinse, maybe didn't do enough. Ty, I will try that when I get home from work tonight =]

7. OP
    OP
    S

Updated: just did my numbers, ik I need to do a WC, but not sure bout next steps. I have flourish, excel, ammonia. This is a 10g plants only tank, since still trying to cycle it. Numbers: KH 32 drops =/, GH 7 drops, Hph 8.4, ammonia .25, Nitrate 160, nitrites .50. What should I do next?

8. hampalong

I would change all the water to get rid of the nitrates. Your cycle is going well if your nitrates are that high. Always a good idea to change water as you go to keep nitrates quite low, since high nitrates will slow the cycle down. I would change the water (as much as is practical) and redose ammonia...

9. OP
    OP
    S

Ok I did bout 75% water change, add bout tsp of ammonia. While changing the water, my husband pulled the filter thing that sucks yhe water through...well now it don't work (had aquaon 50 on there, saving up for hob and canister for 40g). So not sure if this correct, but I immediately fill a bowl that fits thar filter and smaller one I had in there from original filter (that came with it). I also added bout tsp of ammonia in there too. Is that good? We are trying to get the smaller filter back in the tank ( lol suction cups a pain to put on). But I won't be able to bigger filter in it =/. How long can I keep the bacteria healthy in the bowl?

10. hampalong

The media from the filter are loose in the bowl? If you can get some water circulation in there they should be ok with some ammonia too. They will last a few days... you haven't got fish so a slight setback to them won't matter. They'll soon recover their numbers when you get them in a filter again.

11. hampalong

They don't actually need a constant supply of ammonia, but they do need a constant supply of oxygen. If you can get an airstone or something to circulate the water, and depending on the media, if you can spread it out or tease it out so that as much of it as possible gets supplied with oxygen..... Don't worry if you can't, at worst you'll still have some left, and they'll double every day once they're happy again.

12. OP
    OP
    S

I do have an led airstone in there and sand as my substrate. Ty I test my levels again today when i am off. =]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice