Lead in Garden Hose?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Emberdee, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Emberdee

EmberdeeValued MemberMember

I got a garden hose to help with water changes, and was alarmed when I read that it had lead in it. It said not to drink water out of the hose, keep out of reach of children, etc. I haven't changed any water yet, but I was wondering if it would be safe to use to put new water in and remove water. I assume that it wouldn't be, but I see some people using them. What do you think? Safe or not safe? Thanks for any help!

2. Danionins.com

Danionins.comValued MemberMember

I read some time ago that the plasticizer used in hose and flexable tubing was toxic to fish, but you see it used all the time... go figure. :;dk

Dennis

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

I never heard that. I filled my 30g with the garden hose a year ago.

4. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Yeah, I was really surprised. When I read the back of the hose paper it said, "Warning: This product contains chemical(s), including lead, known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm. Do not drink water from this hose. Wash hands after use" I suppose I shouldn't use it to fill my aquarium, right?

5. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

I use the garden hose to fill my pond all the time. No problems. I have also been drinking out of the hose since I was old enough to drink water. We never came in to get a drink when we were playing or working outside, we just drank out of the hose. It was easier and faster. No problems with any of us...

6. Lucy

Same here and I'm somewhat normal. :p
    I remember swearing I'd never buy water ina bottle. lol

7. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Huh, well I guess they must be covering all bases to avoid law suits and such. I still think I won't just in case there are any I'll effects on my fish. Anybody notice any problems? If not, I guess it's probably in such small amounts that it makes no difference.

8. Lucy

I didn't see any ill effects. However, if you're not comfortable using a hose, by all means, don't. :)

9. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I hope there's no problems with using a hose to fill tanks. I've been filling all my tanks from a hose for years. i've never had any problems but as Lucy said, if you don't feel comfortable using it, don't. You can always buy a hose safe for drinking water if your really worried about it & the hose will make life much easier.

10. NMfishman

NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

Maybe your hose really does have lead in it and the others by luck don't, or the lawyers got involved and insisted they put that warning on there when it is not needed. I think the latter is more likely! Maybe use the hose on a bucket with one fish in it or something to test it without jeopardizing your entire tank. Good luck with whatever you do!

11. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Thanks! I think I'll use it, but at least look for other options, maybe try the one fish thing. Thanks for all of the suggestions and experiences. It probably is more about preventing law suits than the extreme danger from the hose.

12. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

Just remember to use your water conditioner. Other than that, it would depend on the source of the water itself. I don't really think that hoses leach much of anything into the water. I think the main reason they say don't drink out of a hose is because of the bacteria that can build up in the moist environment inside the hose. But then, we always let the hose run a bit before we drank out of it.

13. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I agree with Lucy, if you don't feel comfortable using that particular hose then I wouldn't. I would find a hose that doesn't have those warnings. (or do they all have that listed now?) I use a hose to fill my tank too but I don't recall anything like that ever being stated.

Ken

14. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh, okay. I'm always going to use water conditioner, so that won't be much of a problem. There are some hoses that meet standards of not having lead and contaminants in them, so I'll try to find one of those. If they're too expensive, I'll try this hose and see what happens with a single fish, using water conditioner.

15. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

The garden hose would contain no more then .5% lead in it if it did....it cant be much higher or it would have problems with the FDA. I dont think there is anything wrong with it plus if any does leak into the water your looking at like .00000001% per gal...which is harmless...even after 50years....But thats just my guess. If your using a dechlornator it would remove lead out of the water because it is a heavy metal.

16. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh okay, a dechlorinator would remove lead? If so, that would make it fine. Well, thanks for the help and experiences.

17. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3Valued MemberMember

HHmmm I filled my indoor pond with the garden hose and every one is healthy

18. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh, well that makes me feel much better. :) I haven't used the hose yet, but I probably will, and definitely use my water conditioner. Just a question, do you know what hose you have/used for filling?

19. Candymancan

CandymancanValued MemberMember

Most of the typical garden hoses those big green things that kink easily. They are toxic, im not sure what it is that makes it like that. Most of them say not to drink out of the end..

I find that kinda funny tho considering people use garden hoses during the summer to cool themselvs off and drink out of during a hot day of mowing or something. Iv never heared of lead before, i would change the hose that one is probably really old that you have.

Why would a dechlorinator remove lead ? It removes chlorine heh, you would need to use a filter remove to the lead, like a brita filters or fridge filter lol. My suggestio nis to buy a new water hose and ask which ones isnt toxic. They are pretty cheap..

20. hunterjacob

hunterjacobNew MemberMember

The only time the water coming out of your garden hose should have any measurable amount of lead in it is when you first turn it on after it's been sitting outside for a while. Let it flush for two minutes or until the water comes out cold and you'll be fine. When the water sits in the hose without moving is when it leeches the lead out.

Also, you can go online and read the annual report for your local water supply if you live in the States. Remember, the acceptable limit for lead allowed by the EPA is 2ppb, so a little but of lead won't kill you :)