Ldan's Aquariums

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I figured I'd put my aquariums here, sort of like a journal.

I've made major fish moves this past week and I hope to be done with it! Well, at least until the Trilineatus come out of quarantine.

I guess I'll start with a list of all my fishes and go from there:
9 Corydoras Trilineatus (False Julii, 3 Line Cory)
5 Corydoras Aeneus Albino
6? Corydoras Aeneus Albino fry/juveniles
5 Corydoras Sterbai
1 Male Betta Splendens, Killer
1 Female Betta Splendens, Miss Peach
3 Purple Harlequin Rasboras

I switched everybody's tanks this past week, trying to figure out a weird longstanding case of Sterbai finrot/nipping. I removed the Rasboras from the Sterbai tank and put them by themselves in an 11 gallon until I can rehome them.
I moved Miss Peach from the 11 gallon to the Sterbai tank, a 20 gallon palace. She's feasting on all the snails in there, I keep finding empty shells!
I moved the Sterbai to the 40 gallon Albino tank.
I bought 5 more Trilineatus from Petco. I got so many because I always have problems with fish from these places and expected at least 2 of them to die, as horrible as that sounds. So far though, they are quite lively and actually bigger than the ones I have now! I am thrilled, but also will be overstocked soon.

My next posts will be each individual tank, along with it's stock, plants, decor, and other specifics. I need to download images to this laptop in order to post them

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's the history and specifics of my 40 gallon.

I'd wanted an acrylic tank for a while, for several reasons. Firstly, paranoia over breaking glass. Secondly, I can't lift anything larger than a 29 gallon, and that's pushing it! So I ordered from Petco a 40 gallon SeaClear 'combo' which came with a net, an AquaClear 50 hob, and 2 fake plants attached to lava rock. The tank's dimensions are 36 long X 15 deep X 16 tall.

I planned to use this tank to consolidate all of my corydoras catfish.

I was so excited to receive this tank, I took pictures of it in the plastic. Because my research revealed that acrylic scratches if you sneeze on it, I kept the plastic on until the very last minute. Pardon the mess, I'm a slob.
40-plastic.jpg

The stand is an Imagitarium Brooklyn 40 gallon. It's a little wider than the tank depth-wise and doesn't have a solid top, so I bought wood to cover it, which I painted with black stain that had polyurethane mixed in. I then placed a cheap yoga mat on top of that, to sit between the wood and the tank. For the cost of the tank, it's kind of surprising it didn't come with a mat :/

There were moves that had to happen for this tank to be in this spot, which I will not go into Suffice to say it's in the bedroom, right next to my bed, on the outer wall on the 2nd floor of a one-family house which was built in 2005. I used Velcro to attach the power strip to the underside of the stand. That bare piece of wood under the stand will someday have a mate and a shelf on top of it, along with a paint job. Someday.

Filling and checking the level:
40-level.jpg

I checked the level many times before, during, and after filling. Surprisingly enough, the stand had to be adjusted only once. And yes, that's an air pump hanging on the wall. I did mention paranoia, yeah? It's an Eheim 200 for the curious. It hangs on a chain on a cute metal hanger I got at Lowe's. The chain has an extra link that rattles sometimes, hence the washcloth. I have to detach that extra link someday. Yeah.

40-071619.jpg

Substrate is a mix of Quickcrete play sand and pool filter sand, also from Lowe's. It's quite natural looking and is good for cory cats. After rinsing it half the day, I gently scooped it, still wet, into the tank. The two filters in there are to clear up any lingering cloudiness and one has carbon for any funky stuff that might be leftover from manufacturing or whatever. I had very little cloudiness, thankfully.

I cheaped it with the background, using black posterboard. I shouldn't have. Take note, don't be cheap like me. This tank has curves instead of straight corners and the posterboard doesn't sit right and has gaps. Don't cheap it, paint it or get one of those backgrounds you can pick up in a pet store. At one point I cut a black trash bag but never went through with trying it. I will though, because the gaps in the background make me nuts. Well, nuttier than I already am which at this point in my life is kind of like having one foot on a banana peel and the other in the asylum. Or the old folks home, whichever.

Is there a post size limit?

To be continued...

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Next came the wood. I'd had a funky looking piece (on the left) from Ye Olde Drs. Foster Smith . com, now Live Aquaria. The chunk on the right I think I got at Petco, which usually has a nice selection. Both are Mopani wood.

40-071719.jpg

For the curious, I prepare any wood by placing in a 5 gallon bucket and pouring boiling water over it at least twice. Then I let it cool off and either let it dry out for future use, or plunk it in the tank.

I added plants from the old Sterbai tank, a 20 gallon long, now broken down. A few anubias, some java fern, floating moneywort, a few marimo moss balls, and a giant Amazon sword. The sword had a moderate root system despite the plant's size, and because of my thin substrate (I'm not a fan of thick substrate), I planted it in a clay pot with 2 Flourish root tabs and sand. A few days ago my curiosity got the best of me and I picked up a pack of the 'betta bulbs' they have in Petco. Those are pushed into the sand on the right. As soon as I put them in, the catfish went right over to dig around them so I put some gravel and stones around them like a little 'garden'. I hope at least one will sprout.

There are two fake plants in there that came with the tank. They're not too bad looking and are attached to lava rock. I used them because I paid, what for me, is A LOT of money for this tank, and I'm using everything that came with it. Well, except for the filter. And the lights, but I'll get to those in the 'hardware' section.

I had 2 coconut huts that I'd ordered months ago and never used, so I treated those like I did the wood and put them in the tank as hides. I especially like coconut huts for their natural look. The open hole on top I plugged with a bit of black sponge.

I boil leaves for tannins for the bettas and the cories. Leaves I use are Indian almond (ial), guava, banana, and cacao. There are also alder cones, and some bark that I think is from the same tree as ial. I got all but the ial in a shrimp package from DanQuatics. Those are the leaves you see in the tank, after making tea they sink and are nice for the fish to graze on or hide under.

The so far finished tank, as of today:
40-080519.jpg

The thing about this acrylic tank is the top is not open. It has 'cut outs' where you can put your heater, filter, 2 holes for air line, and 2 big cut outs with a bar in the middle. I never took a picture of it but I should in case anyone wants to see what it's like. It can be a bit of a hassle when cleaning, and heaven forbid I have to ever catch a fish, that will be very difficult. I knew all these things when I bought the tank, so I will have to tough it out in case of a sick fish.

The cut out for the heater is round and at the far left back of the tank. I have a Cobalt NeoTherm which is flat and doesn't fit. But! That cut out is the PERFECT size and spot to put plants! I have pothos, peace plant, some kind of fern, and I forget what else. The 'bouquet' of pothos is in the cut out for the filter.

I'm sure you can guess that I am not a great aquascaper. I am going to move the potted sword to the right corner to hide that ugly sponge filter.

Next post, stock and hardware!

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Stock for this 40 gallon? All Corydoras Catfish :emoji_heart:
5 albino aeneus
6 albino aeneus fry of varying ages, oldest approximately 2.5 months
4 trilineatus
5 sterbai
Plus! In quarantine right now, I've got 5 more trilineatus! That would make 19 adults. I have this tank maybe a month and already it's overstocked!

Albino, trilineatus, and Sterbai:
Alb-tri-st.jpg

Little guy way too young to drink, waiting for his Mai Tai. He'll get a Shirley Temple instead, don't worry:
Coconut-kid.jpg

Albinos munching on a shrimp pellet. Sneaky stalker in the background.
albino-trio.jpg

Here's a pic of Whiskey, the one-whiskered cory. This was when he was in the 20 gallon long. I got him at Petsmart, he's always been like that. Unfortunately, he hardly has any stumps so his other whiskers will probably never grow back. He is active and eating though, so he should be fine.
Whiskey.jpg

Derp, I forgot to put this in my other post. I gathered all my little floating java fern babies and some bolbitis and attached them all to this cholla wood. One side is plugged with a fern and the other with black sponge:
Cholla-plants-1.jpg

LDan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Boring old hardware for the 40 is:

Seachem Tidal 75 hob
Cobalt NeoTherm 150 watt heater
Eheim 200 air pump
1 double sponge, ugly af but the fry LOVE it!
36 inch flexible bubble tube

The Tidal needs tweaking. The overflow button goes up within a day or two no matter how much I fuss with it. I've read posts and watched videos, I've removed floss, added/removed sponges, added/removed media...it's still being a pita. I guess I just have to keep fooling with it. For the cost, it's kind of annoying to have to keep messing with it :/

Bummer, I cannot post a video.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom