Lchi’s Sw Build- 10g To Im25 Lagoon!

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! Just wow!

I need to just go ahead and scale back my freshwater and stop breeding so I can devote some time to going salty.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow! Just wow!

I need to just go ahead and scale back my freshwater and stop breeding so I can devote some time to going salty.
That sounds like a good New Year’s resolution lol.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m in love with this tank. Can I have it please? It’d be a nice Christmas gift lol!
Trade you for the bowl you have? Because I happen to be in love with that one :hilarious:

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tank looks great! Feel free to send me some of those corals . Lol.
Thanks!

Its funny you say that; one of the things I look forward to is being able to share frags with other hobbyists. I’ve been shown a great deal of kindness from @stella1979 and @Nart who were awesome enough to share their frags with me so I am excited about being able to do that for others in the future.

platy21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks!

Its funny you say that; one of the things I look forward to is being able to share frags with other hobbyists. I’ve been shown a great deal of kindness from @stella1979 and @Nart who were awesome enough to share their frags with me so I am excited about being able to do that for others in the future.

That is very generous of you, I hope to be able to do the same one day and help other hobbyists. I knew saltwater would be much more complex than fresh- I am learning something new everyday. I know I don’t post much but reading the forums and learning from others experiences definitely helps.

I just did a water change and am hoping to add some more CUC and then some coral here soon. Been researching the more forgiving corals and obsessively perusing the LFS to get inspiration haha. Your tank definitely has reached goal status. .

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well a lot has happened the last 3 months in my salty world and I’ve been so caught up with that and planning my wedding that I haven’t really thought to update this thread but better late than never! So for those of you still subbed, here’s where we left off:

E1ED63C6-FF21-4421-B625-9DAA7AE4098D.jpeg

7AC8DECD-7E7B-4172-8593-71F09C59C6A3.jpeg

Instead of the Oceanbox tank, I decided to go with the Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon! It was backordered but that didn’t faze me as I have already waited almost 2 months for the other tank so what’s another few weeks for a bigger tank?!

So I kept myself busy in the meantime, dealt with a flatworm outbreak, which was the grossest fish related thing I’ve done ever. Ugh.
D6717BC7-64FF-4AEB-AF5A-D30F5BF8E8E9.jpeg

And then slowly (and painfully) took apart my rockscape and fragged my coral colonies back out so that I could start fresh in my new tank.

It was a bittersweet moment; it was my first year’s worth of reefing and work that I was taking a chisel and hammer to but it had to be done and I had my new tank to look forward to. Still, it kinda sucked to break apart these colonies that were so happily thriving, knowing that they’d need to heal up and get happy again.

So now the rockscape’s demolished and my 10 gallon reef has been replaced with plugs and broken up rock:
AC45BCD6-8420-4AC5-8CF8-9A8C869DCD51.jpeg

..6 weeks later and STILL no word from the LFS on the delivery of my tank and stand. The fishy gods must have been testing me because how on earth can you not have an ETA at least after 6 weeks ?! At that point, my patience was spent between the shoddy service I received waiting for both tanks. I saw that BulkReefSupply had the tank in stock and Drs Foster and Smith had the stand so I canceled my order with the LFS and placed my order with them, feeling much better since I knew they were on the way.

And on the 18th of February, and nearly 3 months late lol, I finally got my birthday upgrade.
ED04ABC9-57D8-4FCC-A310-2FDAA1334433.jpeg

Now comes the fun part!

I spent the next few days getting organized and putting together the stand and then 3 days later, she was finally wet!

9B2595AA-7962-4E1D-AED5-1B8F4D579089.jpeg

I started off with dry rock and seeded media in from the old reef to get the cycle going.

Next, I added some rock from the old reef and used some Aquastick to cement them together.

580E6C7D-28AC-484E-936B-7C2996A13C9B.jpeg

And then, I became an anemone owner for the first time; I ran to the lfs for more salt and well, I couldn’t pass him up after seeing him.

EB785B73-036D-4F15-8A8E-C2DDEDE1F645.jpeg

Nems are moody critters I’ve come to learn and after being nice enough to let me take a few good photos, he promptly hid under a ledge and for a while and I had to satisfy myself with getting a glimpse here and there of his tentacles. Can you see him? Lol!

92DB9FCF-4285-44C6-9B84-02D32288271B.jpeg

Eventually he came around and started coming back out and I finally started enjoying my impulse buy lol. Here he is, blues turned all the way up!

245FFFA5-39AA-4BE3-8E06-C12CBBBB2E65.jpeg

Part 2 to follow!

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay...
Fast forward to March….frags are mounted!

E4FA5E53-E7A3-4356-B2B3-A15F51A4B727.jpeg

And on the lagoon’s 1 month anniversary, I moved the fishies over The wrasse is still petrified of everything but good ole easy going Blenjamin was right at home pretty quickly.

441BCFD2-0028-4799-9F30-6BE14629858E.jpeg

The 10 has officially been emptied and replaced with a fresh tank (hooray DPG!) and is now a salty QT for some new additions coming soon.
CC006395-23A3-4EED-8F72-271CF279CC5D.jpeg

If you made to the end, good for you!! Lol and as always, thanks for reading. It’s been fun to relive this adventure. I am so excited to continue this build and am having an absolute blast! Here it is today, with a second light and new tank cyano.
4DC0403E-D75C-46EB-BFE0-5CC8CE990BC9.jpeg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is sooooo awesome (once you got past the looooooong wait!). It is gorgeous. Congratulations on a successful upgrade!

Would you recommend starting with a tank like this over a standard tank being used for fresh water right now? Or was the upgrade just a fin part of the journey. I guess I am asking, if you had it all to do again, would you still start with the 10g or jump right to this one?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is sooooo awesome (once you got past the looooooong wait!). It is gorgeous. Congratulations on a successful upgrade!

Would you recommend starting with a tank like this over a standard tank being used for fresh water right now? Or was the upgrade just a fin part of the journey. I guess I am asking, if you had it all to do again, would you still start with the 10g or jump right to this one?
You’re still here! (By here, I mean following this thread )

That wait was a true test of patience, I can’t describe how happy I was to finally get this going so thank you!!

I think its a tough call honestly! I am glad I started with my very basic 10 because it allowed me to learn and make mistakes without investing a ton but the downside is I ran out of room really quickly!

The nice part about all in one or AIO tanks is at all your equipment is hidden in the back chambers so the display is nice and clean. With my 10, everything was crammed into the tank.

If I had to do it over again, I’d still start with my 10. . Its taught me a lot and quite frankly, I miss it lol. Its kind a strange bond but when you’ve gone thru the learning curve with a tank, you can’t help but feel attached to it.

That being said, I LOVE the lagoon. With more experience under my belt, I am totally ready to make this what I want and it feels good to “advance” lol.

Edit: Are you asking because you’re planning something!!?

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You’re still here! (By here, I mean following this thread )

That wait was a true test of patience, I can’t describe how happy I was to finally get this going so thank you!!

I think its a tough call honestly! I am glad I started with my very basic 10 because it allowed me to learn and make mistakes without investing a ton but the downside is I ran out of room really quickly!

The nice part about all in one or AIO tanks is at all your equipment is hidden in the back chambers so the display is nice and clean. With my 10, everything was crammed into the tank.

If I had to do it over again, I’d still start with my 10. . Its taught me a lot and quite frankly, I miss it lol. Its kind a strange bond but when you’ve gone thru the learning curve with a tank, you can’t help but feel attached to it.

That being said, I LOVE the lagoon. With more experience under my belt, I am totally ready to make this what I want and it feels good to “advance” lol.

Edit: Are you asking because you’re planning something!!?
You know I have been lurking on the salty threads and trying to soak in some knowledge for my future dive into the sw world, lol. I am shooting for a saltwater set up for Christmas this year. At least the beginnings of one with the main equipment. I had been mulling around using my 30L (36 x 12 footprint) that is on a double stack stand and putting a 20L or 30L sump underneath it. After seeing your nice AIO tank and how the more square shape lends much better to corals, I am questioning that. I like your rimless top too.....

Plus, if I am going to have a saltwater tank with nice corals, I gotta find a nice centerpiece spot for it in our living area and not tucked away into the fish room. My big tanks are filling up all my walls, lol.

EDIT: You will need to change the name of your thread :)

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You know I have been lurking on the salty threads and trying to soak in some knowledge for my future dive into the sw world, lol. I am shooting for a saltwater set up for Christmas this year. At least the beginnings of one with the main equipment. I had been mulling around using my 30L (36 x 12 footprint) that is on a double stack stand and putting a 20L or 30L sump underneath it. After seeing your nice AIO tank and how the more square shape lends much better to corals, I am questioning that. I like your rimless top too.....

Plus, if I am going to have a saltwater tank with nice corals, I gotta find a nice centerpiece spot for it in our living area and not tucked away into the fish room. My big tanks are filling up all my walls, lol.

EDIT: You will need to change the name of your thread
Oh I knew that, I wasn’t sure if you were planning on starting sooner the itch gets a bit much if memory serves me right, I remember driving to the lfs January 20th of 2018, heart pounding with excitement over buying salty stuff and then rushing home to set it all up!

I will say longer tanks may be a bit more expensive to light (had to get a second light for the lagoon) but the footprint makes up for it. A cube would be the least expensive to light but not a whole lot of horizontal room..

I think if you know you’re invested in this, get something nice. Definitely put it in a place where
you can enjoy because you’ll spend a lot of time staring at it lol. The rimless look is super sleek but I did build a net cover for it to keep the fishies in. Most salty fish are notoriously jumpy (and a fair bit pricier) so a net cover is a must imo.

9 months out from Christmas right now so I think it is a good time to start getting your shopping list together slowly and buying things you need so you don’t have a panic attack when you try to get it all in one go.

And yes, you’re absolutely right. Thread title change is in order haha.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting to keep an eye on!! Always wanted a SW tank. Maybe n a year or two I will be able to have one for myself until then TAKING NOTES!

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This will be interesting to keep an eye on!! Always wanted a SW tank. Maybe n a year or two I will be able to have one for myself until then TAKING NOTES!
Its great to hear that you’ll be taking notes! Research is your best friend with planning a salty tank. There’s so much to learn and for me, that is what keeps me engaged and excited.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom