Lchi’s Sw Build- 10g To Im25 Lagoon!

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Option 1 is the most responsible but who wants to do that, that’s boring lol. Option 2 is what all enablers would pick. Lastly, option 3 I feel would only make since if you had a bigger tank to fit a continuous amount of frags. So I say option 2 lol yes I’m an enabler

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats again Lchi!
Sounds like your replacement is being worked on today

For me, I would just use the old 10g as a QT tank across the board. So, when you are done using it for QT'ing fishes, I would use it to QT corals you get in if you wanted to.
I personally would not want 2 x 10g tank up and running.
I would 100% focus on the Oceanbox Design 10g tank, from gearing up the tank to promoting better coral growth and colors.
I also, wouldn't use the old 10g as a frag tank. Water volume is a bit too small for my taste to try and hone in on parameter levels and keeping it steady. When things start to grow in your new 10g, your focus will be on that tank in keeping everything thriving. I wouldn't want the stress to worry about a 10g frag tank too.
You could just set-up the old 10g tank as an easy softy tank... but why? I would dedicate all my attention to the Oceanbox Designs Signature 10g.

Just my perspective!
Either way you choose. It's going to be awesome.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My bet is on option 2....lol
Option 1 is the most responsible but who wants to do that, that’s boring lol. Option 2 is what all enablers would pick. Lastly, option 3 I feel would only make since if you had a bigger tank to fit a continuous amount of frags. So I say option 2 lol yes I’m an enabler
LOL! Option 2 is most enticing for sure. My MTS hasn't ramped down at all so obviously having 2 displays would be so cool. I worry that I might be in over my head managing 2 displays. On the other hand, the current 10g I put so much love into, I feel bad even thinking of breaking it down...do I sound crazy right now?!
How exciting! Cannot wait to see what you do.
Thank you! Hopefully I can get started sooner than later, but man I wish y'all can see this tank in person. Its so beautifully made that it's worth the wait.
Congrats again Lchi!
Sounds like your replacement is being worked on today

For me, I would just use the old 10g as a QT tank across the board. So, when you are done using it for QT'ing fishes, I would use it to QT corals you get in if you wanted to.
I personally would not want 2 x 10g tank up and running.
I would 100% focus on the Oceanbox Design 10g tank, from gearing up the tank to promoting better coral growth and colors.
I also, wouldn't use the old 10g as a frag tank. Water volume is a bit too small for my taste to try and hone in on parameter levels and keeping it steady. When things start to grow in your new 10g, your focus will be on that tank in keeping everything thriving. I wouldn't want the stress to worry about a 10g frag tank too.
You could just set-up the old 10g tank as an easy softy tank... but why? I would dedicate all my attention to the Oceanbox Designs Signature 10g.

Just my perspective!
Either way you choose. It's going to be awesome.
Thanks bud! Your advice holds a lot of truth and definitely something to consider. QTing is so important and it would definitely be easier for me to focus on one tank and make it perfect. Two tanks though....the MTS is real right now, especially when the spouse is actually encouraging two setups lol. He's too good to me, I swear.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, so you know me... a QT tank really is a must, especially for the dreamy 10g build in the OB tank. However, you do have a couple healthy fish you could move to the OB, and leave it at that for now. So, here's my perspective and what I'd want to do, bearing in mind that a wedding and house purchase are in the near future, and someday, a larger salty tank. Also bearing in mind that you have two AI Primes, and like, what are you gonna do... store one?? Nah.

The standard 10g is stocked, and well loved. Can't just ditch it, so, get creative with the rocks/corals you already have, (read: put that nem rock down low, lol), and build a halfway new scape in the OB and potentially make more room for coral scaping. If you want another fish in this tank, the standard 10g could be used as a qt for the OB in the short term.

You are then left with a perfectly lovely 10g, so get some dry rock, scape her up, and add a clown. This could be like a QT period because you could medicate this invert/coral-free tank if you had to. Once the clown proves healthy and stability is assured, add a BTA or two. This will be an easy peasy tank because it won't need dosing! This way, you have two display tanks, but won't be frying your brain over both.

Both of these tanks will be so much easier to move than anything larger, and someday, when the dream reef build happens, the stock from both these tanks could be added. The standard 10g might then do for a fishy qt and the OB becomes an RFA tank with sexy shrimp and gorgonians.

That's my vision.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, so you know me... a QT tank really is a must, especially for the dreamy 10g build in the OB tank. However, you do have a couple healthy fish you could move to the OB, and leave it at that for now. So, here's my perspective and what I'd want to do, bearing in mind that a wedding and house purchase are in the near future, and someday, a larger salty tank. Also bearing in mind that you have two AI Primes, and like, what are you gonna do... store one?? Nah.

The standard 10g is stocked, and well loved. Can't just ditch it, so, get creative with the rocks/corals you already have, (read: put that nem rock down low, lol), and build a halfway new scape in the OB and potentially more room for coral scaping. If you want another fish in this tank, the standard 10g could be used for that in the short term.

You are then left with a perfectly lovely 10g, so get some dry rock, scape her up, and add a clown. This could be like a QT period because you could medicate this invert/coral-free tank if you had to. Once the clown proves healthy and stability is assured, add a BTA or two. This will be an easy peasy tank because it won't need dosing! This way, you have two display tanks, but won't be frying your brain over both.

Both of these tanks will be so much easier to move than anything larger, and someday, when the dream reef build happens, the stock from both these tanks could be added. The standard 10g might then do for a fishy qt and the OB becomes an RFA tank with sexy shrimp and gorgonians.

That's my vision.
Wow, that's pretty perfect actually. Yes, nem rock needs to be moved down low since I can't get them off. I actually have a spare rock, I'd been saving (though I don't know for what exactly.. ) so I can definitely get creative with what I have on hand. You're so good with coming up with solutions.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can always put them in the sand too.
Don't we wish, lol. Lchi and I both made bad moves in the early days... by putting RFA's right on the scape. We now both have RFA's pretty well stuck in places we wish they weren't, despite many efforts to move them. I put an 80GPH nano pump right on my front glass, blasting at an RFA no more than 4 inches away, and left it there for days. That dude has deep purchase, will just ball up in his hole, and is not going anywhere without some pretty drastic action. I don't mean this to come off as a retort to your comment. Not in any way do I mean that, but would ask that you share any ideas you may have for detaching RFA's from the rockscape. My guy's foot is in a little hole, and despite aggravating him in every way possible, I've never even seen the foot since he settled there. Dagnabit!! Mine's been there over a year now and he's in my way!!!:banghead::meh:

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes @Wild Bill, please share if you know a way to get these suckers to move! I’ve done everything I can think of, like @stella1979 has. I’ll admit that I don’t mind them where they are currently but that ultimately was supposed to be my zoa rock. And now with a new build on the horizon, it would make my life a LOT easier if they weren’t so well attached to this rock when I have to rework it....

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Option 2, as far as removing rfas I would either remove the rock and cut around them to make a tiny island or try to remove the rock with bone cutters. They dont like to move lol

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Exciting developments!

Remember when my RFAs spawned like two months ago?

Well, it appears they were successful!
177AE141-3B72-4E32-87E5-ADFB0DEB48BE.jpeg

A little itty bitty baby RFA nestled by mom’s skirt! I had thought I lost the little one a few days ago but caught sight of it again the other day; just in a different spot. Whew! I hope it stays green, I don’t have that color yet. Would love tips from anyone who’s raised these successfully!

I also purchased a few hermits a few weeks back... and then promptly lost all of them within a week. I’m not sure why either. Hmph.

Everyone and everything else is doing well, Blenjamin and the wrasse are all fat and happy and the corals are bouncing back after my most recent dosing blunder, even the birdies, who I thought were beyond the point of no return.

My guys (the specks are food that I was bribing them with lol)
3B5FAE5D-B955-4E21-961E-C3E4B8A869BB.jpeg

Quick vid:

One more vid because my shrimp crack me up:

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I cannot believe that is just a 10 gallon. It looks amazing and the shrimps are very entertaining.
So many people are shocked when I tell them its a 10g lol. You can really pack them corals in if you try hard enough haha! Thanks so much for the kind words. What ever happened to your daughter’s saltwater project??

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I sooo love those fat fish!!:joyful: And the shrimp! Tell me, does the pink-streaked wrasse spend much time out and about? Hmmm, wonder how one would do with a fairly peaceful clown and an aggressive little goby. Maybe one day!

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Didn’t read through the whole thing, sorry, but is that a six line wrasse?
Lol! No worries, it IS a long read but something to do if you’re ever bored and want to hear the ramblings of a paranoid beginner reefer.

He is a pink streaked wrasse. The store had him labelled as “ataenia wrasse” for the scientific name Pseudocheilinops ataenia... a mouthful of a name but it was lucky that I remembered it because they had no idea what a pink streaked wrasse was.

I sooo love those fat fish!!:joyful: And the shrimp! Tell me, does the pink-streaked wrasse spend much time out and about? Hmmm, wonder how one would do with a fairly peaceful clown and an aggressive little goby. Maybe one day!
He’s out but timidly for sure, sudden movements make him hide. If I’m sitting quietly by the tank, he does zip about between the rock work though. Blenjamin seems to give him confidence too since they’re usually not far from eachother.

As for your stocking...Perhaps your grumpy goby will warm up to him lol.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So many people are shocked when I tell them its a 10g lol. You can really pack them corals in if you try hard enough haha! Thanks so much for the kind words. What ever happened to your daughter’s saltwater project??
She still has the live rock with some critters but she gets too distracted and doesn’t really take care of it. A 2 year old and the kids she babysits keeps her hopping.

Maybe she will at least keep the rock alive until I get ready to do a setup so I can steal it, lol.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I can’t believe that its been almost month since I last updated this... the last few weeks of the year have really flown by. Nothing exciting to report but thought I’d leave a few photos here. Some of these were posted to IG already but what the heck.
0C494CF3-1DDB-431D-9A66-F39ECB2EC65E.jpeg

05A81073-D65C-4707-86C2-DD25BCA0469C.jpeg

Baby RFA is growing.
1C710D15-FD08-42D5-845F-39672BD9A0A2.jpeg

E3AD9482-B05E-4478-AFA4-CD0DD9F0CF55.jpeg

Rainbow monti from @stella1979 is encrusting and super super happy!
91B77613-36C6-4C64-8837-217D3D1C7179.jpeg

FTS
ED85CF46-7F92-4A8E-9510-C61FE3DE7B67.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%