Lchi’s Sw Build- 10g To Im25 Lagoon!

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think he's kinda cool but what in the world? Where did it come from? How big is it?
I’m normally okay with worms but this guy is a little much for me lol. He is a spaghetti worm, likely hitchhiked on something and is currently very happy and healthy in my tank. He was easily 4 inches, excluding all the stringyness that is surrounding his mouth. I’ll be honest, I couldn’t look at this tank again until he went back underneath the sand.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
THAT'S WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I have a couple in my tank. omg

I hope the ones I have never come out....creepy things
Not what you were expecting? lol. Granted I knew what they looked like since its easy enough to google an image of them but pictures do not do them justice! There's nothing quite like seeing them in person. They're shiny, like a bug, which I didn't expect and so much bigger than I thought they'd be. I can't wait for yours to make themselves visible haha.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why do you like the egg crate better? Does it have to do with light?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Why do you like the egg crate better? Does it have to do with light?
Its two-fold actually!

Airflow at the surface is doubly important with saltwater to allow it gas off properly. Not enough aeration = a rise in pH and the swing could bother some of the corals. At least that is my understanding..

Part two: Those versa tops aren't transparent at the hinge so there was a line of shadow in the tank regardless of how my light is situated. The egg crate doesn't block light like the hinges on the glass tops do but it will still keep the fish in. (hopefully). Blennies tend to jump...

The only downside is evaporation is faster but with an RODI unit, I always have top-off water at the ready.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its two-fold actually!

Airflow at the surface is doubly important with saltwater to allow it gas off properly. Not enough aeration = a rise in pH and the swing could bother some of the corals. At least that is my understanding..

Part two: Those versa tops aren't transparent at the hinge so there was a line of shadow in the tank regardless of how my light is situated. The egg crate doesn't block light like the hinges on the glass tops do but it will still keep the fish in. (hopefully). Blennies tend to jump...

The only downside is evaporation is faster but with an RODI unit, I always have top-off water at the ready.
Thanks Lchi, just trying to learn some salty things. I thought I had heard somewhere that high tanks were not a wise choice because the light didn't get to where it should be and that a 20L was much preferable. I don't know...It would be a while before I could consider it due to my mom's health but I try to pay attention to posts so when the time comes, I'm not going in totally blind.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Lchi, just trying to learn some salty things. I thought I had heard somewhere that high tanks were not a wise choice because the light didn't get to where it should be and that a 20L was much preferable. I don't know...It would be a while before I could consider it due to my mom's health but I try to pay attention to posts so when the time comes, I'm not going in totally blind.
Anytime! Seriously, ask away. I'm happy to help anyone learn and if I don't have the answer, my salty friends are really great about helping out and chiming in.

You are correct that tall tanks make for difficulties in lighting since the light may not always be strong enough to grow corals at the very bottom. Not to say that it can't be done but for me, SW is challenging enough that I don't want to make things harder than they have to be. In retrospect, I wish I had started with a 20 long; you run out of room real quick in a 10.

I'm glad you're already thinking ahead and trying to learn some basics now. It will help for sure. Hope mom feels better. :emoji_hearts:
That worm.....
You think we should name him? lol!

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Was a busy weekend with this tank!

I finally ditched the versa glass lid for some egg crate which I like SO much better. And still had some leftover for a quick DIY shelf for underneath the tank!

View attachment 496109

A “behind the scenes” shot in my ratty house clothes lol. I’m only human.
View attachment 496108
Looks a lot more dangerous in the photo than it felt when I was actually cutting thru the egg crate but definitely don’t do what I am doing here. I need a garage or a work bench or something....

And last night, someone came out to say hello...if you’re squeamish, now would be a great time to leave lol.
View attachment 496106

A Spaghetti worm!!! Yuck yuck yuck!!!! But apparently its beneficial to my sand bed so I guess he gets to stay.

Congrats on your new top!

That worm though? It can just turn around and march all the way back to Nope Central, where it came from. I've never understood how certain fish creep people out. Then THAT came along. Lol.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats on your new top!

That worm though? It can just turn around and march all the way back to Nope Central, where it came from. I've never understood how certain fish creep people out. Then THAT came along. Lol.
Yep that worm was a great big NOPE in my book too! I’m okay with him in there as long as I never have to seem him again lol.
The only solution is to burn your entire apartment to the ground. There should be no room in anyone's life for that weird looking thing. Kill it with fire
Yes, I must get rid of the entire apartment, the whole place is tainted.
That thing is cool. If you wanna get rid of it, let me know.
Thanks, by all means help yourself, not gonna touch that thing with a 10 foot pole lol.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My birthday isn’t till a week from now but I got an early birthday present from my lovely, enabling fiancé with the help of @stella1979 and @Nart :
1815D316-DDDB-48A7-99ED-E5F2E26E0423.jpeg

!!!! A 10g AIO from Oceanbox Designs! !!!!!
81C8AEF7-D9F8-4395-97B7-704F956F36F2.jpeg

It also came with a heater, ATO, screen for a lid (?) and another AI Prime! Eeeee!!
E34943DC-6DE8-4C5F-8CC3-7A5E69CFEB30.jpeg

The only thing is it arrived with a crack in the front panel. The seller has been contacted and hopefully a replacement will be on the way soon. I’m dying to get her wet already!

So now I have some options....
1. Take down the current 10g. Set up the new tank and use old 10g as a sw QT. The least exciting but most responsible.

2. Keep the current 10g running AND set up the new tank; two display tanks!

3. Set up the new tank and turn the 10g into a frag tank... hmmmm...

I have no idea what I’m doing yet but I’ve got time to decide. I’m pretty torn but so very excited to get started, no matter what I end up doing!!!!
510869E8-678E-4159-9B48-EC70B8BB97C7.jpeg

...oh and I ordered a Jebao sw2 to replace the cheapo powerhead I have and it also arrived today haha!
774CE8DA-EF6C-4CC0-B6D9-D74A6217252E.jpeg

That was supposed to be today’s exciting news but updating about a powerhead turned into updating about a new tank LOL.

Top Bottom