Lchi’s Sw Build- 10 gallon To Im25 Lagoon!

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you've outdone yourself with the upgrade! It looks awesome. I didn't know nems were that big either. Learn something every time I read on these salty threads.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JLeeM said:
I think you've outdone yourself with the upgrade! It looks awesome. I didn't know nems were that big either. Learn something every time I read on these salty threads.
Nems will get absolutely giant. We have some the size of basketballs if not bigger with the tentacles at work.

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Beautiful upgrade Lchi. Congrats on the new tank, just be careful about fish jumping out of it without a lid on it.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! A beautiful tank, a fabulous update, and well deserved my friend. Congratulations Lchi!!!

If I may speak my thoughts on the conversation between you and @tfreema re: the 30 long vs. AIO...
  • The IM25 Lagoon is quite possibly my all-time favorite nano because of its footprint. I also love a long tank but would give up a bit of length in exchange for width and the awesome look you get when you can gaze deep into a scape from the front glass.
  • AIO vs Sump - The AIO is a very clean look, allowing you to hide your equipment for a clean display without a large increase in overall water volume, so maybe more budget-friendly in the long term due to smaller water changes and smaller equipment... However, a sump offers the same options for hiding equipment and gives you lots of room to maybe do something special. I suppose an awesome skimmer would be great... but if I had the choice @tfreema is making, I'd do the 30 long with sump for one very particular reason. I would LOVE a large and thriving refugium because it would support a large and thriving microfauna population. To further support that diversity, I'd have a deeper sandbed in the tank than I do now, and with these measures in place, I could support a couple of fish that I had loooong ago before I knew what I was doing... fish that are still in my top 5 favorites, a mandarin and a jawfish. And shoot, why not make the fuge kinda fun too? And it that case, why not get a beautiful but mean little fish or critter to live in it? Perhaps a feisty little damsel or something crazy like a mantis shrimp? Or, and this is right up my alley, make the sump pretty and peaceful with gorgeous macroalgae and dare I say it... seahorses. So, as you can see, as much as I love the IM25 lagoon, I'd hang on to that idea for another time, and deck out that set up you already have. The question is... would it be a good idea for a beginner to follow such a plan? Well, maybe not, but it seems to me you'd have more options with the tanks you've got.
  • Ugh... talking about lighting isn't always fun, but as mentioned, a second light was needed for the IM25 and this very same setup, or another of similar cost, would also cover the long tank.
With all that said, I could not be happier to watch this IM25 build progress and am quite possibly nearly as excited as Lchi for the fish that will enter the new qt.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JLeeM said:
Aw thanks! I’m really pleased with it so far. This nem is still small compared to some of the ones I’ve seen actually as @Culprit has mentioned but I’m quite okay with that since having a mobile, moody,stinging invert is all new to me lol. Can’t imagine the anxiety I’d feel with a basketball sized nem taking walks all over my coral. :nailbiting:
Wild Bill said:
Beautiful upgrade Lchi. Congrats on the new tank, just be careful about fish jumping out of it without a lid on it.
Thank you so much! Yes, I’ve got a net cover for this tank, I just remove it for photos
stella1979 said:
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! A beautiful tank, a fabulous update, and well deserved my friend. Congratulations Lchi!!!

If I may speak my thoughts on the conversation between you and @tfreema re: the 30 long vs. AIO...
  • The IM25 Lagoon is quite possibly my all-time favorite nano because of its footprint. I also love a long tank but would give up a bit of length in exchange for width and the awesome look you get when you can gaze deep into a scape from the front glass.
  • AIO vs Sump - The AIO is a very clean look, allowing you to hide your equipment for a clean display without a large increase in overall water volume, so maybe more budget-friendly in the long term due to smaller water changes and smaller equipment... However, a sump offers the same options for hiding equipment and gives you lots of room to maybe do something special. I suppose an awesome skimmer would be great... but if I had the choice @tfreema is making, I'd do the 30 long with sump for one very particular reason. I would LOVE a large and thriving refugium because it would support a large and thriving microfauna population. To further support that diversity, I'd have a deeper sandbed in the tank than I do now, and with these measures in place, I could support a couple of fish that I had loooong ago before I knew what I was doing... fish that are still in my top 5 favorites, a mandarin and a jawfish. And shoot, why not make the fuge kinda fun too? And it that case, why not get a beautiful but mean little fish or critter to live in it? Perhaps a feisty little damsel or something crazy like a mantis shrimp? Or, and this is right up my alley, make the sump pretty and peaceful with gorgeous macroalgae and dare I say it... seahorses. So, as you can see, as much as I love the IM25 lagoon, I'd hang on to that idea for another time, and deck out that set up you already have. The question is... would it be a good idea for a beginner to follow such a plan? Well, maybe not, but it seems to me you'd have more options with the tanks you've got.
  • Ugh... talking about lighting isn't always fun, but as mentioned, a second light was needed for the IM25 and this very same setup, or another of similar cost, would also cover the long tank.
With all that said, I could not be happier to watch this IM25 build progress and am quite possibly nearly as excited as Lchi for the fish that will enter the new qt.
Thanks for adding your 2 cents! I’m still at that point where sumps totally intimidate me but if I had the know-how and was already situated in a more permanent home, I might have given it a shot lol. The AIO has kept it simple and easy for me, which is exactly what I need right now 2 months before I get married!!! Eek!!! i do love the idea of stocking a sump though

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I LOVE the idea of having seahorses in the sump tank! Seahorses are on my bucket list. I will have to look into how that is done.

So based on information received and seeing how the wider tank lends itself better to coral setups I am tossed between the AIO lagoon type or a double stack 40b with a sump. The only thing with those is the frame on top. I like that clean look of no frame.

Maybe I can sell the 30L double stack that has a 45g on top to feed some $$ into the sw setup?

It is fun to be dreaming and thinking without the pressure yet of pulling the trigger.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lchi87 said:
Aw thanks! I’m really pleased with it so far. This nem is still small compared to some of the ones I’ve seen actually as @Culprit has mentioned but I’m quite okay with that since having a mobile, moody,stinging invert is all new to me lol. Can’t imagine the anxiety I’d feel with a basketball sized nem taking walks all over my coral. :nailbiting:
Aww.......you make it sound like owning a big nem is comparable to Russian roulette. Lol.

Sorry if that humor was a bit too dark.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JLeeM said:
Aww.......you make it sound like owning a big nem is comparable to Russian roulette. Lol.

Sorry if that humor was a bit too dark.
Its not that intense but I will say I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed with this one fairly tightly lol

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tfreema said:
I LOVE the idea of having seahorses in the sump tank! Seahorses are on my bucket list. I will have to look into how that is done.

So based on information received and seeing how the wider tank lends itself better to coral setups I am tossed between the AIO lagoon type or a double stack 40b with a sump. The only thing with those is the frame on top. I like that clean look of no frame.

Maybe I can sell the 30L double stack that has a 45g on top to feed some $$ into the sw setup?

It is fun to be dreaming and thinking without the pressure yet of pulling the trigger.
It sure is fun to dream up the best setup for a new tank! Eeek, sometimes my dreams get the better of me and I speak without fully thinking. A fuge with ponies would be so, so awesome... but I haven't done the pony research I should before speaking of such things. So, the issue that comes to mind when I fear I've spoken too soon is... flow. I'm not sure but do imagine that horses need relatively low flow, which is also good for water contact time with some of the macros more efficient at nutrient reduction. For example, I reduce flow through my HOB fuge for better contact time with the chaeto. However, whether reduced flow through a sump is best in a particular setup is another question. Sure, the tank could have additional flow via the powerheads... but the question of slower flow through the intake, sump, and output is something we'd have to take into full consideration when planning for the bigger, overall picture.

So sorry to rant off topic here. It is fun to dream out loud but I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong idea in thinking I know exactly what I'm talking about with seahorses and sumps.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
It sure is fun to dream up the best setup for a new tank! Eeek, sometimes my dreams get the better of me and I speak without fully thinking. A fuge with ponies would be so, so awesome... but I haven't done the pony research I should before speaking of such things. So, the issue that comes to mind when I fear I've spoken too soon is... flow. I'm not sure but do imagine that horses need relatively low flow, which is also good for water contact time with some of the macros more efficient at nutrient reduction. For example, I reduce flow through my HOB fuge for better contact time with the chaeto. However, whether reduced flow through a sump is best in a particular setup is another question. Sure, the tank could have additional flow via the powerheads... but the question of slower flow through the intake, sump, and output is something we'd have to take into full consideration when planning for the bigger, overall picture.

So sorry to rant off topic here. It is fun to dream out loud but I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong idea in thinking I know exactly what I'm talking about with seahorses and sumps.
You know I will not jump into something without fully researching, but yeah, it is good to clarify in case someone decides to take the information and run with it, lol. I have a 26g bowfront that I think would make a perfect tank for a pair of regular size or a bunch of dwarf seahorses. It is currently a quarantine tank so can be switched over if I decide to re-purpose it for that. I would just need to do some research on how to set up the filtration. I think something internal to have minimal flow, but that is just my initial guess. One thing I do know is that lots of branches for them to hang onto is essential. Yep, dreaming again, lol.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tfreema said:
You know I will not jump into something without fully researching, but yeah, it is good to clarify in case someone decides to take the information and run with it, lol. I have a 26g bowfront that I think would make a perfect tank for a pair of regular size or a bunch of dwarf seahorses. It is currently a quarantine tank so can be switched over if I decide to re-purpose it for that. I would just need to do some research on how to set up the filtration. I think something internal to have minimal flow, but that is just my initial guess. One thing I do know is that lots of branches for them to hang onto is essential. Yep, dreaming again, lol.
Yes... lots of branches. I dream of a tall horsey tank full of gorgeous gorgonians!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am very late, but what does lm25 suppose to mean?

Edit: I think I found it, does it mean Innovative Marine?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fanatic said:
I am very late, but what does lm25 suppose to mean?

Edit: I think I found it, does it mean Innovative Marine?
Yes! Innovative Marine. 25 is the volume

Cameron92

Reaction score
****, spent a solid chunk of my working day reading through this, it's making me very excited to start my SW tank that I'm currently in the process of starting

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cameron92 said:
, spent a solid chunk of my working day reading through this, it's making me very excited to start my SW tank that I'm currently in the process of starting
We are very excited to see your new tank! Welcome to the salty side!!!:smuggrin:

Cameron92

Reaction score
stella1979 said:
We are very excited to see your new tank! Welcome to the salty side!!!:smuggrin:
Thankyou! Very excited. I wanted to have a pair of longfin clowns in it but unfortunately they're banned from being imported to Australia due to our **** laws

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cameron92 said:
Thankyou! Very excited. I wanted to have a pair of longfin clowns in it but unfortunately they're banned from being imported to Australia due to our laws
I fear my response would be derailing this thread but I would love to hear more about your plans. Maybe you should start a build thread where we can chat more.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@Cameron92
Wow, thanks for reading thru this! Dipping your toes into the salty side is definitely super exciting and I’ll have to say that a year and half into this, I’m still pretty friggen’ excited about everything salty lol.

Half the fun for me is learning and researching; there’s always something new to read up on so it keeps me engaged and challenged but the hardest part for me was being patient and keeping my hands out of the tank. Not sure if you’re planning on corals (spoiler: if it fits into your budget and schedule, DO plan for corals. ) but a reef likes stability more than anything so the two bits of advice I just mentioned will take you a long way. I had a bad habit of always tinkering and I’ve definitely set back growth and upset plenty of corals by rushing and not being able to leave well enough alone once I got things situated. I do wish you the absolute best with starting, and hope to see a build thread for you soon. You’re gonna have a blast!

I’ll leave you with a few recent photos so you know what to look forward to

4A9C4FBA-BB60-4DAB-85F0-65BB33F83C45.jpeg
E584B1B3-91A4-4F48-9951-391449044232.jpeg
0DC58B21-C2D0-4871-9A68-4656EC1FAAE0.jpeg

57243B9C-FA02-4058-A86E-45D71EF2B2C5.jpeg

68414459-6258-4B83-AAF9-17337B2B74A5.jpeg

F0273804-C0F3-449B-B020-27B9F6D6F49B.jpeg

6F3114DF-56F6-44DA-A823-F281AA6AF236.jpeg

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oooosh absolute fire !! I love this lagoon. OBD did you favor with his garbage customer service what an absolute top job you have done. I so envy the lagoon, hate trying to stuff corals into the little red sea. Your grafted Cap resembles a bleeding apple scoly so much lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom