Lazy Water Change?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Civanna, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Civanna

Civanna Valued Member Member

Had a very long day. Need to do a water change desperately. Can I take the water out (30%) and then clean and just fill it back up tomorrow? I'm way to tired to do the whole thing tonight!

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't, it won't change anything in the tank tonight anyway.
    If your real tired just change a smaller amount today and do some more the next day.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you're waiting tomorrow to re-fill, why not just wait til then to clean/drain it? Are you wanting to empty it now because of water parameters? What are the levels? Also, if you have an HOB filter, I believe the water level needs to be filled up to a certain point for it to work properly.

4. OP
    OP
    Civanna

Civanna Valued Member Member

It's cus they're at the top of the tank. I've walked past the tank several times so I don't know if they're up there because they think they're getting fed or cus they can't breathe. I've changed the water anyway now. They're foraging at the bottom and at the top now.

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd test the water parameters either way.

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

how tired is tired? I have 16 tanks , 8 large tanks and 8 5g tanks with a 1800gal pond also a house , family.. full time job working in construction wake up every morning at 4am to finish at 3:30pm..weekly 50% water changes on all my tanks, no one ever said it was a simple hobby , but a very very rewarding and stress relieving one IMO btw yes I do have MTS hahaha.

but to answer your question , check your water parameters if they are out of the norm , then yes a water change is nessecary today not tmr.

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Just for future reference. We do water changes to dilute the toxins in our tanks. Say your nitrates are at 80ppm, doing a 50% water change drops those nitrates to 40ppm (assuming that your tap water contains no nitrates.) So draining 50% because your fish are in trouble actually does nothing. It doesn't concentrate the toxins, it just does not make it any better. If they need help now, they need the entire process including clean water.

8. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Although you've done it already, but you brought up a good question for yourself. What did you normally do during a water change? What other cleaning, etc?

To me, a lazy water change might be at the minimum, take out old water, put in new water. Done. You can even extend that a little more to be, take out old water by vacuuming the substrate, not just taking out water from the water column. Put in new water and now you're done.

For more extensive cleaning that might involve moving plants around, taking things out and cleaning, etc then even when you can't get to that, it's still a good idea to change the water at the minimum. The reason is like you said -- when you observe your fish behaving abnormally, there is something in the water conditions that needs to be verified or changed. At that point, it's up to you to help them out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice