Lazy Assasin Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Bluestreakfl, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

So I started out with 2 of these in my 55g tank. I got them to keep my pest snail population in check, and they werent catching up yet. When I had the 2, they were much more active and seemed like they were on the move alot. I decided to add 2 more, in hope that it would help with the pest snail control a bit more, but instead now, all 3 to 4 of the assasin snails seem to spend alot of their time huddled together on eachother. Is this normal? There are still plenty of pest snails for them to eat. I still find an occasional empty pest snail shell, but id think by now id start seeing a reduction in the population, I hand pick out a good 20-40 a week of the pest snails just to keep them from getting insanely out of hand. I dont want to keep adding assasins, as I know sooner or later id have too many of them as well.

2. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like their having a little nooky.

3. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

I kinda figured that, but 24/7 ? I mean they have to stop for a food break sooner or later!

4. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Junne you had quite a few of these guys at one point right?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dadio

Marathon group nookie lol

6. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

Or Sammy could move in. Jk lol =D

7. Dadio

I got quite a few and yes they breed :) Started with 6, got close to 20 now and moved them about the tanks where required. I may try a few in the pond but well know they won't last the cold season.

8. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Oh yes. 2 became 50 very quickly. I lost count at around 200 but by the sheer numbers, I am guessing at least 500 before I gave them to the lfs.
    Then again, the temps in my betta tank is at 80/82 degrees so probably the reason they ( as well as MTS snails ) bred out of control.

9. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

So is that what they're doing then is breeding? I just don't see them moving about the tank anymore, maybe once in a blue moon. It was fine when it was just the 2, but when I added the 2 more, they all stay mostly huddled now.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Junne

Yes, more than likely. If you start seeing square flat post-it note looking things stuck to your ornaments, that is the eggs from the Assassin snails.

11. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Alrighty, is it true they only can produce 1 baby per month or so?

12. Junne

No they can have as many as the eggs they lay - mine have been at least 25 or so babies each time they lay eggs which can be several times a month

13. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Oh wow, ok ill have to keep a much closer eye then. I have yet to see any babies that I can tell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice