Lazy Assasin Snails

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I started out with 2 of these in my 55 gallon tank. I got them to keep my pest snail population in check, and they werent catching up yet. When I had the 2, they were much more active and seemed like they were on the move alot. I decided to add 2 more, in hope that it would help with the pest snail control a bit more, but instead now, all 3 to 4 of the assasin snails seem to spend a lot of their time huddled together on eachother. Is this normal? There are still plenty of pest snails for them to eat. I still find an occasional empty pest snail shell, but id think by now id start seeing a reduction in the population, I hand pick out a good 20-40 a week of the pest snails just to keep them from getting insanely out of hand. I don't want to keep adding assasins, as I know sooner or later id have too many of them as well.

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like their having a little nooky.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I kinda figured that, but 24/7 ? I mean they have to stop for a food break sooner or later!

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Junne you had quite a few of these guys at one point right?

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bluestreakfl said:
I kinda figured that, but 24/7 ? I mean they have to stop for a food break sooner or later!
Marathon group nookie lol

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Or Sammy could move in. Jk lol =D

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bluestreakfl said:
@ you had quite a few of these guys at one point right?
I got quite a few and yes they breed Started with 6, got close to 20 now and moved them about the tanks where required. I may try a few in the pond but well know they won't last the cold season.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bluestreakfl said:
Junne you had quite a few of these guys at one point right?

Oh yes. 2 became 50 very quickly. I lost count at around 200 but by the sheer numbers, I am guessing at least 500 before I gave them to the lfs.
Then again, the temps in my betta tank is at 80/82 degrees so probably the reason they ( as well as MTS snails ) bred out of control.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So is that what they're doing then is breeding? I just don't see them moving about the tank anymore, maybe once in a blue moon. It was fine when it was just the 2, but when I added the 2 more, they all stay mostly huddled now.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bluestreakfl said:
So is that what they're doing then is breeding? I just don't see them moving about the tank anymore, maybe once in a blue moon. It was fine when it was just the 2, but when I added the 2 more, they all stay mostly huddled now.

Yes, more than likely. If you start seeing square flat post-it note looking things stuck to your ornaments, that is the eggs from the Assassin snails.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alrighty, is it true they only can produce 1 baby per month or so?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bluestreakfl said:
Alrighty, is it true they only can produce 1 baby per month or so?
No they can have as many as the eggs they lay - mine have been at least 25 or so babies each time they lay eggs which can be several times a month

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh wow, ok ill have to keep a much closer eye then. I have yet to see any babies that I can tell.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads