Lazy and Cheap Way to Siphon Tank

oscarsbud

Being the type of person who is always looking for the easy way to do something and also being too cheap to spend $50 on a siphon, I thought I would share the way that I do water changes.

First, I admit I don't vacuum much because I have live plants in the tank.

I got tired of the 5 gallon bucket routine - hate lugging those things around. I went to Lowe's and spend around $8 on a 25' section of hose that would fit on my vacuum. Then I got the bright idea of sticking it on the end of the power head. I don't use it because it generates too much current for my smaller fish.

So I stuck one end of the tubing into the outtake of the power head and stuck the other end into the bathtub. I put the power head down into the water and turned it on. It worked like a charm, sucking the water out of the tank and into the tub. The only thing I had to do was make sure I kept my hand over the end of the intake so the nosy corys wouldn't get sucked in. It has a filter on the end, but it has a very strong suction and I didn't want anybody to get hurt.

After I got it to the level I wanted, I filled the bathtub up with water (after I made sure that any trace of soap was gone). I dropped the thermometer in there to make sure the water was about the same temperature. When the tub was full, I put the power head in there and put the other end in the tank and turned it on again. Filled it up beautifully. I did put a bowl into the sand so it wouldn't stir it up, but it didn't seem to matter

Added Prime to the tank as it was filling and tada - no backache and only 1 wet arm for a change instead of the whole upper body (I am a bit on the short side so doing anything in the tank more or less requires that I get soaked every time ).

This is probably a well-known procedure, but I thought I would pass it on anyway.

brodylane1122

All I can say is "ingenuity." I do worry that it's very hard to get all traces of soap off of a bathtub. But if your fish seem to be doing fine, then apparently there isn't. Interesting idea!

PS. I would still gravel vac from time to time.

jerilovesfrogs

I use a water pump to do mine....works in a similar way. I drain to the basement, then refill with the python. Which was $$$ lol. But that's the only way I can refill. I don't vac either...I have soil tanks...or sand. In the sand ones if I see waste..I use a turkey baster to get it out.

Oh...you may be asking why I don't drain via the python....there is not enough suction with the ones in the lower level...for me to drain going up hill..if you will...to the kitchen. And I have no sink in the basement
-j

oscarsbud

I have a sand bottom on mine also. Just got done doing it, in fact. So the "debris" is easier to see and a turkey baster is an excellent idea. I will have to pick one up. Don't think hubby will approve of me using the one in the kitchen as a pooper scooper .

jerilovesfrogs

haha. actually the only baster I have is the one I use for the fish. I don't even have one in my kitchen. hmm, what does that say? it is really quite good at picking up waste.

oscarsbud

It says your turkey is so juicy and tender that you don't need a baster

jerilovesfrogs

I can pretend it means that!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
JaymeP
Replies