1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

layered tall tank fish

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hey all,
    I am considering building a new tank. Based on the layout of my apartment, it's going to have to be taller than long or deep. I am talking 1'x1' footprint, but 2' or 3' high (15 to 20 gallons total). I have 2 questions relating to this, to get an idea of how such a tank would work.

First straightforward question: what fish could occupy most of the height of this tank? Bonus point if you mention something else than discus or angel!

For my second question, let's assume I "layer" this tank, meaning that I stick hardscape mid level (with suction cups to the back of the tank) and cover said hardscape with soil and/or plants: would bottom dwellers occupy these layers? Or would they still remain all the way at the bottom?

Also, any idea / fantasy / DIY shenanigans you might have in mind for such a tank are welcome.

2. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

Is this a kit? I don't think you could do any schooling fish as the length and width are really small, they would mainly be just hovering in the same spot. For bottom dwelling fish you could have a pair or 1 ram cichlid, perhaps have a dwarf or a small species of gourami.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    F

This is not a kit, I plan on building it myself.

Advertisement

4. A

You can also get shrimps.

Advertisement

5. OP
    OP
    F

What about 3 dwarf puffers for this tank? Will they swim all over or do they tend to prefer the bottom / the top / the middle of the tank?

And adding to that, a cleanup crew (I hear dwarf puffers are a messy lot) composed of either 1 oto, or 5 shrimps (ghost would be more discreet thus having a better chance of survival, but amanos would be better at cleaning after the puffers).

How does that sound?

6. A

Where are you getting the glass?

7. OP
    OP
    F

Well there's a bunch of places. Big hardware stores, small window shops... I've never bought glass twice from the same place. I live in Paris, France though, so I'm not sure I'm helping you!

8. A

LOL, didn't look at your profile! Its amazing how we get a whole bunch of members from around the world.

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

While dwarf puffers are messy, it's not something a clean up crew can help with. You're the best clean up crew. Otos need to be in groups, and I wouldn't keep them in this size tank. I wouldn't keep rams or other dwarf cichlids either.

3 puffers is too many for such a small footprint I think. I would go with 2 at most. They should use the entire tank though.

Personally I'd use this tank for just shrimp. They'll use the entire tank, especially if you make steps or levels. You can have multiple types too, and you'll get some nicely sized colonies!

Maybe a big piece of manzanita driftwood and use moss to create a tree?

10. OP
    OP
    F

Would 3 puffers really be too much? I can make the tank taller if that helps. Though then maintenance might become harder. It's just that I'd like to have a 1:2 male female ratio. It'd be less strenuous on the female than if she's the only one.

And yeah I was thinking of having one big piece of driftwood as the main hardscape, but more upside down, so as to look like a root.

What about amanos? Wouldn't they help with cleaning? They're omnivorous, I'm sure they would enjoy feeding on the puffers trash. Though I'd be worried they might get eaten.

Another option I have would be to relocate my betta in this tank, and add some bottom dwellers (I'm assuming he's never gonna go as far as 24" deep is he?). And then in my main 30G long, I could add fancy guppies and replenish my shrimp colonies.

11. TexasDomer

I think three is too many considering how small the footprint is.

I wouldn't make it taller - it's not about height, it's about length and width.

Amanos would help with some clean up, but they're not a clean up crew. They won't eat waste and I'm not sure they'd eat any leftover snail bits.

I definitely wouldn't put a betta in this tank - it's too tall for him to easily reach the surface. And again, this tank doesn't have a big enough footprint for most schooling fish. You're very limited on stocking this tank.

12. OP
    OP
    F

Shrimps and puffers are among my favorites, so even though I'm limited, I'm quite happy with my options :)

What else could be happy in there?

13. TexasDomer

Snails? Thai microcrabs?

The issue with bottom dweller is that it's hard to aerate the bottom of the tank. If you can make sure the bottom of the tank gets enough water flow, then Asian stone catfish may be an option.