Lava update

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He's not getting better. As soon as I take him off meds within a week he's floating on his side again. I'm treating him again with Maracyn-Two but this time it's having no effect. He is probably immune to it. I need to find a completely different med. I'm going to try Tank Buddies Fungus on him since it says it treats swim bladder disease. I really don't ever want to use this product on my fish because it contains a warning that it causes cancer and that sounds so risky. I don't want to cure him and then give him cancer later on but I don't know what choice I have but to risk it now.  He's all clamped up and has no energy. He's still eating but as soon as he's done he goes right back to his corner and sleeps all clamped up. It's depressing. I'm afraid he will die soon if I can't clear up this bacterial problem.    There is another product called "Binox" which claims to be strong and helps swim bladder infection as well as other things but I can't get it at any store nearby. I may order some online but it will be days before it gets here. Has anyone ever used or heard of it?

Also, this is weird but he's also been, (for lack of a better description) sneezing or coughing. :-\ I don't know if fish can do that but that's what it looks like he's doing every once in a while. I can even hear a sound when he does it that sounds like a sneeze as he jerks his head forward quickly. I've never seen anything like this...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I worried about that warning too until i found it on something that wasn't even related to meds or food.. can't remember what, but it was ridiculous and then Rose told me how CA is with their warnings and i do believe they'd put warning labels on anything.. so the tablets are safe i think, especially for the fish since the warning is for humans i believe anyways.

I'm sorry Lava's not been getting better. I know it's hard to watch them & know they feel bad. I hope the Fungus Clear will do the trick. I've not heard of the Binox product before. No clue on him sneezing/coughing - first time i've heard of that with any fish.. but i've only been in this since jan. so maybe it will ring a bell with the members who've had more experience.

Best of luck with Lava and we wish you both the best.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the store and they were all out of Tank Buddies Fungus stuff so I bought the Jungle Labs medicated Anti-Bacterial food which is the exact same ingredients as the Fungus Eliminator. (sodium sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone)  I was doubtful about Lava eating it because he's picky but I fed him two pellets just now and he gobbled them up like candy. They are quite big too and I was worried he'd spit them out if they were too big but he had no problem. None of my girls could handle the size of those pellets though, I'd have to crush them smaller. (hopefully I'll never have to give it to them) It says to feed him only this food for 10 days and it can be used with any external antibiotic meds so I will continue with Maracyn-Two just in case.
I searched for info on fish sneezing/coughing and as far as I can see fish don't do that. He is DEFINATELY doing a great imitation of coughing/sneezing though!!  I am starting to think he is doing this for attention. He studies me intensely whenever I am near and last week I was sick and coughing a lot. His tank is next to my bed and computer so I'm beside him a lot. He must have watched and listened to me cough and thought it was some form of communication. He snorts so loud it has woken me up several times the past few days and when I look at him he's just hovering there wagging his tail and looking at me. I at first thought it was my imagination but today he started doing it while I looked right at him. He jerks his head forward and makes a loud audible snort as bubbles come from his mouth and then he looks at me innocently like "thorry mom, I'm thtuffed up". He is SUCH a drama queen!  The intelligence that Bettas show never ceases to amaze me!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm glad Lava went for them so readily. I guess you could also put the gel-tek stuff on small pellets for the girls if they ever needed it.

You know, with how smart Bettas are and how Lava likes attention, it would surprise me if he learned that gets your attention and I'd love to see his act on video. He's quite a Betta!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I may have figured out what Lava's bizarre coughing is all about. He has PARASITES!  I saw him tonight flashing wildly around the tank scratching his gills on anything he could!  The "coughing" was probably the same as the "yawning" that fish do (which is actually not yawning but how the fish flushes water through their gills to clear out irritating dirt and debris). Lava was flushing his gills but more violently because he has parasites irritating them and he is trying to flush them out! No wonder the antibiotics are not helping him... They are keeping any secondary infection caused by the parasites from getting worse but are not fixing the underlying problem. 
I have stopped the Maracyn-Two and vacummed his tank and did a 40% water change to get rid of as many free swimming bugs as I could. I'm running some fresh carbon through his filter for a couple of hours to clear out any remaining antibiotics and then I'll remove the carbon and put in some Tank Buddies Parasite Clear, which kills internal and external parasites. I'll continue to feed him the antibiotic food to prevent infection. I don't know if this is related to his inability to swim properly or this is just one more problem for the poor guy to deal with. I hope it's related so I can fix it and have my happy healthy boy back swimming freely through his tank. It's so sad seeing him  just floating at the top not being able to do anything. It must be so boring for him!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poor little Lava. He's a tough little guy though and I'm glad you saw him flashing & scratching his gills so you now know the plan to get him back to full health.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good Luck with Lava's treatment Phlox! I think we should all receive medical /pharmaceutical degrees after several months of treating our fish with various "conditions".
I am beginning to believe positive thinking by us fish parents and lots of doting attention to our bettas is what is going to get us through in the end!! Val

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that you now know what is wrong with Lava. Your plan for treatment sounds good. Best of luck to both of you.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How about the "Fishlore University Degree in Betta Parenting"?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lava is not getting any better. He's still really itchy and scratching his gills on anything he can find. He's getting another dose of Parasite Clear today. The anti-bacterial food I'm giving him seems to be bloating him and making his swim bladder problems worse.    I'm going to need to give him peas today only just to get rid of his bloating. I feel so bad for him. He just never seems to get better. All he does all day is wedge himself between the filter tube and side of tank, in the back of the tank. He only comes to the front to eat. He seems so depressed and lonely. 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I understand how you feel for the little guy.. i hope his meds knock that stuff out so he can get to feeling good again. He's a tough little guy so he's going to pull through and get healthy.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
hopefully the meds will start to work. Hang in there!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I really hope that lava get's better after this new dosage of meds. You've been working for so long to get him better and so hard. It will definitely be rewarding when he finally does get better. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Phlox, my heart breaks for you and Lava....remember, never give up, never give up, never give up!!! Persevere with the treatments, and he will fight his way back in no time. Val

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
is this yawning normal because i think my fish did that

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
According to a post that Dino made somewhere I think the yawning means he is not getting enough oxygen which would indicate the gills are not working well enough and are damaged or seriously infected so he is going to need a serious antibiotic as well as an antiparasite med. Can you check with Drs. Foster and Smith for a combo of meds to fight gill flukes and gill disease? They are so helpful and could help you.

Rose

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wel im not for certain..is there any other signs the fish owuld show?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read elsewhere that yawning occasionally is just how a fish flushes out it's gills. When irritating bits of debris get in there they suck water in and push it out of their gills. Kind of like us clearing our throats or blowing our noses. I think if the fish "yawns" a lot it means there is not enough oxygen but if it's only once in a while it's normal.
Lava had some VERY itchy bugs in his gills so he tried to violently flush water through them to flush them out. To me this looked like coughing or sneezing and I could actually hear him snort. He has stopped doing that so the meds must be helping. He was still scratching his gills on the side of the filter yesterday but not as hard. He got a second dose of Parasite clear today. It will probably take a few days to completely clear up. Then I just have to fix his swim bladder problems if it isn't already too late. I am ordering some Binox which is supposed to be a very strong med which works for swim bladder disease and other bacterial infections.

OneMom

Reaction score
Hi:

Thanks for answering my post today - as you know Angel is having similar symptoms to Lava.

As I mentioned, she started Maracyn yesterday. Within 2 hours of her second dose today she is having less difficulty staying upright. I'm going to get her the Maracyn 2 tomorrow (as you suggested) and starting treating her with that as well.

She's still laying on top of the tall plant in the corner, but she isn't drifting to her side any more. I'm hopeful that she'll continue to improve.

Since Lava & Angel both seem to be having swim bladder problems I thought you might be interested in her progress on just the Maracyn so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little Lava!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope she recovers! Swim Bladder is VERY difficult to treat. I treated Lava with Maracyn-Two and Maracyn and he "seemed" to get better but about 10 days after stopping meds he started tipping again. This has been ongoing for two months now. Make sure you treat her for a full ten days even if she seems better (do a water change after the first cycle of meds which is 5 days and then start again). The bacteria seems to be VERY stubborn! I am ordering an antibiotic called "Binox" made by Jungle Labs which is supposed to be much stronger and works for swim bladder. Something you may want to consider if the Maracyn doesn't work.
Please do get the breeding box or net for her to keep her near the surface. It has holes which allow water to circulate and meds to get through and because it attaches to teh inside of the tank will keep her in the same warm water. I can't stress this enough. Because your fish is a "sinker" like my Phlox was, she is in more danger of drowning than anything else. Lava is a floater so he won't drown. There is nothing more heartbreaking than watching a fish drown because it was too weak to swim to the surface or gets tangled in a plant and is too weak to get away. Don't worry about the box being small.  She is too sick to care about swimming around and can't anyways. She will need rest and being only 2 inches from surface will help her not to use all her energy trying to struggle to the top.
Keep me updated on your progress. I can't help but think I might have been able to save Phlox if I could have only prevented him from drowning before the meds could help him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom