Lava Rock Rubble In Filter

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
good morning I probably already know the answer to this but anyway I want to know is lava rock rubble in my filter as good as bio rings or matrix I have a full basket about 1.5 lbs in it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t use it but it’s very porous and many here do use it. I say go for it. Is this for a fresh or salt tank?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should be fine. Some people add bigger lava stones into the tank to build up denitrifying bacteria.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ya I have always had large lava rock caves in the tank but I have never used smaller pieces (which I have tons of lol) too small to use in the tank I have broken them up and filled a basket in my new filter aquatop cf300. I will use all the bio rings from my old fluval 204 and in the other basket and the bottom basket will have course and fine sponges in it.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
0B70488A-37A8-4DF3-AC84-55123576FB1D.jpeg

Here is a picture of my tank as you see I have a big pile of lava rock on the left and a smaller one on the right behind the plant

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use lava rock in all my sumps instead of store bought garbage. It works incredibly well and has fantastic porous qualities. I have used it in all of the custom sumps and tanks i have built. Disclaimer i have a side business where i build custom tanks and filtration systems from 100 to 3000 gallons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom