Lava rock as biological filter? Question

1. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

I'm wondering if lava rock can work as a biological filter as my 14g biocube I'm guessing has not enough biological filtration(cloudy water:(). will lava rock work?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Lava rock is used more for course filtration ( physical particles) than biological.
    While bacteria will grow on it, you would be better off looking at material with more surface area such as foam or sponges.

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Before we start on the lava rock, do you know your tank's parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates? These values will help determine if you're low in bio-filtration. If you have any ammonia or nitrite, then either a) The tank is still cycling or b) There is insufficient bio-media/surfaces for the bacteria to cope with the bio-load. Without testing, it's kinda difficult to help guide you on this one.

That said, generally speaking, beneficial bacteria will grow on any surface. The more porous the surface, the greater the population of bacteria can grow, so in theory, yes the lava rock will add to your bio media. Can someone remind if lava rock is inert ???

If I remember rightly though, you'd need to add a powerhead or something to 'force' water too flow over the lava rock, for it to be of any benefit.

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Lava rock is chemically inert.

5. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

ty Dino :;hf (I was pretty sure it was)

6. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

well because of my parents in debt they said i can't have a test kit because it cost a lot for a good one(+$20)

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Frequent, small water changes will help as well. Say, 10% every other day.

8. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hmm, ok.
    Would your LFS test a sample for you?

Whilst cloudy water is typically a bacteria bloom, it could be cloudy from particles in the water etc.

Whilst the lava rock may help, I don't believe it will fix the issue. I would try reducing the bio-load on the tank, or more regular water changes to keep things in check.

:;nin by Dino :)

9. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Bwhahahah, how do you think thought the ninja's in the first place? :;nin2

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Just to clarify, the cloudy water is white. Or is is green? Looking straight down into to tank is the best way for me to determine this in my tanks.

11. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

its a whitish green

12. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

changed the water...eberything is clearing up, I hope it stays like this