Latex fake rock. Suitable for cichlids?

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm looking for some opinions. I have just ordered a tank to set up as a rift lake tank and now I have to investigate aquascaping. I prefer a natural look so clay pots just don't look right to me. Has any one tried this sort of thing?

The caves look small. Are they too small? And are cichlids likely to destroy this stuff?

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I havn't used them personally but they are very popular with other cichlid society members & they look really good when they are installed properly. They are not harmfull to the cichlids in anyway & I havn't heard any reports of them being destroyed by the fish either. It's pretty tough stuff.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Nutter. You never know. Plenty of things are purpose designed but unsuitable , like all of those Betta tanks but if you know of cichlid enthusiasts who use them that helps me out greatly.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI Claudicles,

I'm looking for something similar at the moment for my tank. I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread to ask a question but where can you find these? My LFS around me haven't got anything like that. Thanks.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hijack away. Pleased to have someone else benefit from my enquiry.

I haven't seen them in any shops either. Online the only spot I have found them is:

Check under freshwater, decor and they are on the second page. They aren't cheap but you get free postage on the larger items. These are obviously an Australian product as they have names like "The Olgas" and "Kiama" I am still trying to work out their exact structure. Most of them are obviously back grounds meant to be fixed to the inside of the aquarium. There are a couple which look like they may be menat to be free standing but it doesn't say specifically.

Liz

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Liz. Yeah they're not cheap but no aquarium decor in Oz appears to be!! Yeah I know what you mean by whether they are meant to be free standing or not by the way they are described. They may have to be anchored down somehow. Well they look cool regardless so thanks for the link

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My local LFS sells these or at least can order them (Morley Aquariums). They can also fit them to tanks for you. I've seen them doing the fitting & they just silicone them in place making sure there are no gaps.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nutter said:
My local LFS sells these or at least can order them (Morley Aquariums). They can also fit them to tanks for you. I've seen them doing the fitting & they just silicone them in place making sure there are no gaps.
Oh yeah. I've been in there once before and thought pretty highly of the place. They've got a massive giant gouramI on display!! It's about a 45min drive away for me though so that sucks Thanks for that Nutter.

I don't really want to silicone anything down to my tank. Are these particular decorations designed to be siliconed down? Do you know if they will stay in place with a few real rocks around holding it in place?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure if they will stay in place using rocks or stuff like that. I imagine they would if you have them on the base glass but I don't know for sure about the back glass.

Paul, the owner of Morley Aquariums is pretty good. His prices are on the high side but they still arn't bad for a one off LFS. Paul gives lectures for the Perth Cichlid Society & is more than happy to pass along the knowledge he has accumulated over many years. The young blokes that work for him arn't real great with the knowledge but they are friendly & are actually prepared to learn from the regular customers as well as Paul himself. That Giant GouramI is super cool & I love the 4000lt MalawI tank. There's something like 200 fish in there & some of them are really spectacular.

The other place that's really good is Aquotix in Canningvale. They might be able to get the latex decor for you & advise you on how to best use it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads