Last Question For The 20 Long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MattS99, Apr 17, 2017.

1. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I've gotten some great suggestions on here for additions to my 20 long, which currently has: 5 Colombian Tetras, a guppy, and a platy. Both male. Things that have popped out from the suggestions were GBRs, Bolivian Rams, and apistos, especially apisto cacatuoides and apisto borelli. Would I be able to have a single specimen thrive until I had room for the other? If so, which fish would work solo? I'm still undecided, so I'm still open to any suggestions that you guys have! (Except for adding more livebearers, and I plan to increase the Colombians from 5 to 7 if I find them at the LFS). Thanks again!

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hello there,
    You could fit a single Apistogramma Cacatuoides or Borelli could work.

However, A single Bolivian Ram or GBR could also work. Which one of the 3 do you prefer?

3. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think any of those fish are fine solo - it all comes down to which you prefer (If you do intend to eventually get a pair, maybe think about which gender is easier to find later). The apisto males are much more colorful than the females. The Bolivian and GBR males and females both look great!

4. Ed204

However, also do keep in mind that they are Cichlids. And Cichlids turn quite agressive during breeding mode, most if not all Cichlids are known to terrorize their tank mates during breeding.

5. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I'm leaning towards the Cacatuoides, but I can't find them at the LFS or online. I've seen the Bolivian at my LFS all by himself in a tank with some smaller Africans and I feel pretty bad for him. But I'd be pretty happy with either of those two.

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I suggest bolivian rams, they are very beautiful and not that agressive

7. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I'm actually leaning towards the Bolivian now. It's just easier to find and I'm pretty confident that it won't be a problem with my others. I've heard that the Cacatuoides can be a little bit more agresseive, but I kind of expect that in a cichlid. I've kept many tanks over the years but this will somehow be my first ever cichlid. I want something that'll be a good introduction to them. I primarily specialize in livebearers, but I'm getting a little bored of them.

8. Ed204

It really depends on the fish's personality, because all fish are different.

I've had a very skittish Green Terror once, which I had o give away to my cousin.

9. JeffK

My first cichlid was also a Bolivian Ram. I just went with a solo ram in order to avoid any spawning aggression. Never had any issue with the Bolivian. My first cichlid pair were Apistogramma Borellii - there were a few times when the female would chase other fish away from her cave, but there were never any problems. I also kept a pair of Borelli with endlers (much smaller than the apistos) but never any issues. IME, the Borelli apisto is one of the most peaceful of the apisto species. I had to order my apistos from Wetspot Tropical. Bolivian rams are probably much easier to obtain.

10. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I've all but decided on the Bolivian. It'd take a lot to sway me. It's just so much easier for me to get because I know the local LFS stocks them 99% of the time. and I've kinda wanted one for a few years. I remembered them when I started looking up dwarf cichlids and I fell in love with them again. Thanks for the advice. I got HORRIBLE advice from the local LFS about the same subject about a week ago, kinda why I joined FishLore.

11. JeffK

We're here to help! You won't be sorry with a Bolivian Ram - hope all goes well with your tank!

12. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Thanks! I'm sure the Bolivian will ve way better than the Blue Acara or Blood Parrot the guy at the LFS suggested with my current stock. Or as he said 'throw in 5-6 small African Cichlids and see what happens'. Pretty sad that someone thinks you're uneducated on a subject because you're young.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, that's pretty awful advice lol.

14. OP
    OP
    MattS99

And that's why I'm never going there again. Search for a good LFS continues. My old one closed down a few years ago. Been relying on a PetSmart and a couple PetCos that are surprisingly decent with people that are somewhat educted on fish.

15. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Picking up a Bolivian that I ordered from my LFS tomorrow. Or later today if you want to get into it. (in my timezone, at least.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice