Laser pointers and fish

Tom
Have any of you pointed a laser pointer to the back of your tank and watch all of your fish go crazy to try to eat it? Is it actually harmful as long as you don't get it in their eyes? It is very funny to watch.
Tom

Sabi
No we never tried that -yet.
But when we were younger, we used to shine lasers at other ppls windows and watch how they used to try and find out what's going on!

Callum The Cat
Neville
I don't know what piranhas will do!!! they seem to bite everything !!! i'm afraid they will break the glass if they see a laser light.

Tom
I don't know what piranhas will do!!! they seem to bite everything !!! i'm afraid they will break the glass if they see a laser light.
I don't think they would do that. But they go crazy when they see it.
Tom

COBettaCouple
I don't know, I break glass when I see laser light. :;a i've seen the laser pointers for sale as dog & cat toys but not tried it on our bettas. I do wonder if the laser wavelength would be harmless to their eyes or not.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
oh we use to do that! its so fun watching the bettas chase it! Miley

Tom
I don't know, I break glass when I see laser light. :;a i've seen the laser pointers for sale as dog & cat toys but not tried it on our bettas. I do wonder if the laser wavelength would be harmless to their eyes or not.
It might have the same effect on their eyes as on ours. Ruby and Emerald seem to go crazy when I shine it at the back of the 2.5.
Tom

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ya.... All my bettas LOVE the laser pointer! Miley

COBettaCouple
cool.. I'll get some and be like the terminator! :;a

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
lol!!! Oscar loves them sO much he swam UPSIDE DOWN to attack the light!!! It was so cute!! Miley

Tom
lol!!! Oscar loves them sO much he swam UPSIDE DOWN to attack the light!!! It was so cute!! Miley
Really, upside down? I don't believe you. The only way is to tell the :;z and they will tell me. lol
Tom

Tom
cool.. I'll get some and be like the terminator! :;a
Have you got your laser pointer yet?
Tom

COBettaCouple
yea, we did.. some of them chased it at first, but they seem to have realized now that it's nothing they can eat and they ignore it.

Tom
yea, we did.. some of them chased it at first, but they seem to have realized now that it's nothing they can eat and they ignore it.
Do that every couole of minutes and they don't need any exercise from a big tank. lol
Tom

COBettaCouple
the funny thing is that while the bettas have figured out the laser isn't food or anything they can bite and they just look at me when I try it, like "are you kidding me?" .. the platys go nuts for it.

Tom
the funny thing is that while the bettas have figured out the laser isn't food or anything they can bite and they just look at me when I try it, like "are you kidding me?" .. the platys go nuts for it.
Or tetras and rasboras go nuts looking for 'food'.
Tom

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
Really, upside down? I don't believe you. The only way is to tell the and they will tell me. lol
Tom

LOL!!! :;z Oscar swam.... wow now you got me talking to alien fish LOL

Miley

Richard
Sorry guys/ Tom.. teasing animals, 'specially my fish, is tantamount to what my management do to me on a daily basis.. my conscience won't allow me to do it.. crank calls to people/ my management who deserve it , maybe.. not laser pointers with my fish.. sorry.

Tom
Sorry guys/ Tom.. teasing animals, 'specially my fish, is tantamount to what my management do to me on a daily basis.. my conscience won't allow me to do it.. crank calls to people/ my management who deserve it , maybe.. not laser pointers with my fish.. sorry.
But my fish think it is food at first and then I feed them right after, so they are starting to accompany the light with food. It is kind of like Pavlove(spelling) and his work with dogs. But since it is your opinion, I am not about to tell you it is wrong(one thing I really hate).
Tom

Allie
When we had the africans and the blue diamond rhom piranha...they'd all go nuts...BUT the piranha was hilarious...he/she actually would get mad at the red dot.

COBettaCouple
lol, funny how animals from dogs to cats to fish will play with the red laser dot.

armadillo
What a great idea! I'll have to try that. My female betta goes mental when I put my finger in her tank. She'll chase me round and round like a cat would.

COBettaCouple
What a great idea! I'll have to try that. My female betta goes mental when I put my finger in her tank. She'll chase me round and round like a cat would.

no she won't.. a cat wouldn't get in the tank of water.. silly person!

Tom

no she won't.. a cat wouldn't get in the tank of water.. silly person!
I've seen videos that go against what you are saying. There are cats that would try and get your fish and then fall in the tank.
Tom

armadillo
And then? I mean obviously the cat is wet and doesn't like it, but is he able to get out somehow?

Gozer_1
I have seen both sides of playing with fish and a laser pointer. Small Barbs and such are always very in to it. However, my Iridescent Sharks are TERRIFIED. If you know Ir. Sharks then you know not to scare them. My Gouramis and Tin Foil Barbs are also not cool with the tiny red dot. Seems smaller fish all get fired up to munch some red light though. I have seen goldfish, danios, neons and guppies especially go crazy for a laser dot. I saw a lighthouse decoration that had a spinning "laser" light. It was advertised as a way to "exercise" your fish. I can see it now, fish either swimming in a nonstop circle or breaking my tank and\or lids. I don't dare shine any point of light in my Ir Shark tank. I make people approach the tank slowly especially if the Irs don't know you. They know a stranger when they see one lol.

COBettaCouple
And then? I mean obviously the cat is wet and doesn't like it, but is he able to get out somehow?

catfish!

JustKeepSwimming
My husband and I play with the betta with a laser pointer quite often (the way you would do it with a cat). He just loves chasing it around. It helps cure the boredom! Has anyone else tried it?

Gordinian
Me!!

kinezumi89
Me! No video though

Bumblebat
I do it at work all the time. It's hilarious with big schools, but the oscars are the best.

AlanGreene
Haha that's cool!

APColorado
OMG that is hillarious

CatfishJack
Fun to watch for sure but be careful, the laser AND the reflective beams can burn their eyes just like it can yours.

AlanGreene
Fun to watch for sure but be careful, the laser AND the reflective beams can burn their eyes just like it can yours.

Is that really true or is it a myth? Do you know its true for sure? I'm not being rude I am just curious, I heard that before but also I assume those laser pointers are quite weak! I would love yo know if it's rest true or not, maybe Jamie and Adam can help us out!

Junne
I would love yo know if it's rest true or not, maybe Jamie and Adam can help us out!

Didn't they do an episode on that already? I can't remember but I seem to recall it was BUSTED... By the way, Jamie and Adam are from my area

JustKeepSwimming
Not that MythBusters is uberly scientific but:

While it is unlikely most lasers used in toys, games, and laser pointers can permanently damage your eyes, it is theoretically possible so caution should be exercised. However, split second exposure from type II or IIIA laser pointers will not result in any permanent damage.

So basically, as long as you don't sit there and try to burn out your fish's eyes I'd say it's safe enough.

ETA: jwebbe beat me to it!

Matt B
Didn't they do an episode on that already? I can't remember but I seem to recall it was BUSTED... By the way, Jamie and Adam are from my area

I don't remember if they did an episode on that but my uncle used to work as a fireman at that abandoned naval yard they're always at!

AlanGreene
Thanks guys!

Junne are you serious? Do you think it'd be at all possible to get autographs from the team? I am in love with Carrie and I just love the show! No pressure, just if its possible it'd mean a whole lot to me and I'd pay shipping and also get you a nice surprise!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
iancrayguy
Replies
Views
IchthyPen
Replies
Views
ClearEyes
  • Question
Replies