Largest Peppered Cory?

LilBlub

Well Known
I was just out buying some fish for my 20 gal, when I saw her. The biggest peppered cory I’ve ever laid eyes on. She was gigantic. So gigantic, in fact, that I decided to buy her for my peppered cory school. She’s a solid 4 inches long.

0AA78503-74E5-4B5D-8235-308960F2B6EA.jpeg

73332D40-B508-4280-803C-ECB49423D828.jpeg
Has anyone ever seen a peppered cory this big? If so, how do they get this size? Is she really old, or just naturally huge?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
She’s probably old, how long would you say she is? I know females usually get bigger than males, up to 3 inches.

OP
LilBlub

LilBlub

Well Known
She’s about 4 inches. She’s almost the size of my youngest fancy goldfish.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
She’s about 4 inches. She’s almost the size of my youngest fancy goldfish.
Oh, I didn’t see that in the original post lol. That’s pretty cool, maybe a well cared for cory?

OP
LilBlub

LilBlub

Well Known
Must be. She’s getting along with the other cories so far, but at first they were like “OMG what is that?!”

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
That's pretty cool. I have 12 peppered cories I bought in groups of 6. The first group was almost 2" and the 2nd group was smaller at less than 1.5". I was worried the smaller group wouldn't be accepted but they all get along great.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Yup those are the biggest peppers you can get.

OP
LilBlub

LilBlub

Well Known
The biggest one in my tank before I bought her was a 2-year old, 2 inch long female. She’s now only the second biggest lol. The rest of the school are babies, under a year old, so they’re all fairly small.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
The biggest one in my tank before I bought her was a 2-year old, 2 inch long female. She’s now only the second biggest lol. The rest of the school are babies, under a year old, so they’re all fairly small.
Yup! Used to own 7 of them. So freaken cute!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
They can even grow bigger than this !!!
Beautifully colored btw

OP
LilBlub

LilBlub

Well Known
Really? How big have you seen them get? I’ve seen larger species but this is truly the biggest peppered I’ve ever come across.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
I've seen huge ones that were kept in a pond. Thibk they were 1,5 to 2 times the size of this ones. Sometimes XXL corys (also other species) appear in the trade.
Don't exactly know where those come from.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
For some reason, some Cory females get super huge, while others stay a bit smaller. I like to say they come in Large and Jumbo. I have a Peppered named Amber and a Bronze named Boris, they’re roughly the same age as I got them at the same time. Yet Boris is Jumbo, while Amber is Large.
The biggest Cory I ever owned was a female Bronze named Shineocean, she was about 3.5 inches. Lost her last winter, she was about 8 or 9.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
My biggest was a pepper called Big Mum.
She died sone time ago grrrr

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
My biggest was my emerald females until I got the peppers and one got 5 inches

OP
LilBlub

LilBlub

Well Known
Oh my! That’s a big girl. I’ve named mine Large Marge. Lol. I hope she lives a year or two with me, although she’s probably fairly old so I don’t know how long I’ll have her.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
My biggest at the moment are these C.aeneus. They're formerly known as C.macrosteus (what's in a name) and are twice the size of my normal bronze ones hahaha.
23a89e65e5624c2e560a8d23f7d0ef5c.jpg

OP
LilBlub

LilBlub

Well Known
I think I’ve seen those at the same pet store I got her at. They do have some bigger species, not just the typical bronze and peppered.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SWilkins
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory

Did You Know...

The advanced forum search is actually rather good once you get used to it. You can search within threads, you can specify which sub-forums to search, you can search photos in the photo gallery section, etc. Check it out:
Members Only

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom