75 Gallon Tank largest fish I can keep with guppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
so...I have a 75 gallon tank with a heater maintained at a temp of 75 degrees F a solid 7 PH, 0ppm ammonia, 35 nitrate and those were tested a week ago. I have 6 long finned zebra dannios, 6 bleeding heart tets, 5 male guppies, and a partridge in a pear tree! Tee hee. This is obviously a freshwater tropical tank that I also keep live plants in. Hornwort, grasses, amazon sword plant, and cocomba. The gravel is light colored an I have high lighting in the tank with two rock caves as well. Plenty of free swimming areas and hiding places. So now to my question...what is the largest fish I can put in the tank with the guppies. I'm having trouble with PH compatibilty and other issues like brackish water fish and others. I've looked at the amiet killifish and giant dannios/devarios, but I just am not sure what to do. I have about 46 in of fish I can add. I do regular changes of water(reverse osmosis) and I treat my plants with fertilzer( the brand escapes me). Let me know what you think...I need variety because of the tank size but I dont want to sacrifice my itty bitty fish. A little more color wouldn't hurt either. I also have a 10 gal that I use as a hospital tank.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore
you should read this article first
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
You should all so look around the beginner's guide section, it has lots of good info! If your tank is cycled than I would highly recommend Giant Danios, I just love them. The guppies and other fish you have probably would not be good with slower moving peaceful fish, so go with faster schooling fish like danios, rainbowfish, tetras, zebra and yoyo loaches, cories, and the upside-down catfish should be good as well.
The inch rule should be used as a guideline as well and you should use the 1 inch per 12 square inches of surface area; in other words length x width of aquarium / 12
it works better for stocking. I would use that 10 gal as a quarantine tank for your new fish as well.
Hope this helps!

OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks...I do know about the nitrogen cycle but for some reason I clicked no...figures. So my tank is cycled and ready for even more inhabitants after the quarantine. Killifish are brackish water fish..correct? in which case would not go with my other fishies. Are there really colorful giant danios? If so where should I go unfortunately the only local place I've found them are dun dun dun WALMART! Not to many fish aquariums in South Dakota ya know(petsmart, petco, minnicritters) Thanks for the stocking tip...even better. I also have 5 marimo balls I should add that!

OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks! It was funny because the woman at Walmart knew more about aquariums and fish care than anyone at petco or petsmart. Walmart kind of creeps me out.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks...I do know about the nitrogen cycle but for some reason I clicked no...figures. So my tank is cycled and ready for even more inhabitants after the quarantine. Killifish are brackish water fish..correct? in which case would not go with my other fishies. Are there really colorful giant danios? If so where should I go unfortunately the only local place I've found them are dun dun dun WALMART! Not to many fish aquariums in South Dakota ya know(petsmart, petco, minnicritters) Thanks for the stocking tip...even better. I also have 5 marimo balls I should add that!
There are many killifish that are freshwater fish. Some of the smaller ones would work in your tank - the larger ones will eat the guppies and anything else small enough to be swallowed. The smaller ones are not so easy to come by, but you can look and see if there is a local killifish club in your area - that's your best bet for them.

No, there aren't colorful giant danios. There are regular ones, albinos and golden (albino with dark eyes).

You could get a large fish, as long as it has a small mouth

OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks. Yes that is the problem...most large fish have big mouths...except loaches I guess. Rainbows are nice how large can they get 2-3in?

OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
interesting...never considered those. I think I might get a zebra loach to maintain my snail population and maybe some dwarf gourami or giant danios. I've got a 55 gal tank I might cycle and switch some fish around in. I would like to keep some semi aggresive/larger fish maybe discus or angelfish tank.

Last edited:

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I doubt you would find an elephantnose or baby whale at a chain store, so unless you want to order online you won't be able to get them and I am not to sure how they would do in your tank. Watch putting angels, dwarf gouramies and discus in with the guppies and other tetras because they will fin nip, though of course if you have the 55gal and move fish around then that would not be a problem. Angels would also get big and could eat your smaller fish. Established giant Danios are actually fairly colorful and most pics don't do them justice. I will try to post pics of mine later today. The killifish should be fine and petsmart should have one or two types.
I thinnk it would be nice to have the 55 gallon up as well because then you could have active fish, like your current fish in one and peaceful fish like angels in the other!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I doubt you would find an elephantnose or baby whale at a chain store, so unless you want to order online you won't be able to get them

The killifish should be fine and petsmart should have one or two types.
Very true, but they are readily available online.

The killifish that petsmart carries is the golden wonder killi. There are also striped killifish from time to time, but they are the same species. They WILL eat your guppies - i fed mine guppies from time to time. Unfortuately I killed it with the python the other day

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Elephantnose id avoid, although they are beautiful fish they are very delicate. They have poor eye sight and rely on weak eletic organ on their nose to help them find food and this is easily damaged and if damaged the fish will simply starve because it wont be able to eat. They also require LOTS of Bloodworm, a tight fitting hood because they are escape artists and subdues lighting. rainbow fish work well with guppys and the bosemani have beautiful colours.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
VThe killifish that petsmart carries is the golden wonder killi. There are also striped killifish from time to time, but they are the same species. They WILL eat your guppies - i fed mine guppies from time to time. Unfortuately I killed it with the python the other day
Wow, I didn't know that about them I thought they stayed small! Thanks for catching my mistake
Sorry about your loss

Last edited:
OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks everyone! I believe I will be getting a zebra loach...maybe some bosemani rainbow fish. I've already quarentined some giant danios they are doing well. Next month I might get the others...we'll see. I used to keep glass/ghost catfish but they had their own tank that I cleaned regularly I miss them. Had to move and couldn't take with me. I was considering adding some to my tank but I don't want to overcrowd the poor buggers ya know.

babygirl303

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could try getting some mollys, they're not huge but they're a lot bigger than your guppys. You can get them in some nice colours too, the gold sailfins look awesome, or a gold with black spots... Some people say they prefer salt though so you might wanna read up on that.
I've heard that they will cross breed with the guppys though i'm not sure how true or likely that is, i've also heard guppys will only cross breed with the endlers livebearers so im not sure.

OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I did hear someone getting muppies (molly guppies) and I was just looking at some mollies the other day they are beautiful. The giant danios are working out greatly...next step finding some variety, too many schooling fish. I went to my LFS and found some turquoise rainbowfish and dwarf red gouramis (I think that's what they were) and was fond of them...there was a lone boesmani rainbowfish that I might get if still there. I will be posting some pictures if I get the time.

Last edited:
OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok...the bosemani rainbowfish was dead in the store when I went to get em. Shoot! poor fella. The giant danios are thriving and all my fish seem happy with the new additions. I am a little worried as the danios get larger that they will harass/eat my guppies. Is this a valid concern? Should I cycle another tank to put my gups in?

OP
J

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Also very quickly...when I originally adopted my long finned zebra danios I was going to get 6 cherry barbs(I like them alot); however, the LFS "helper" said they nip if they are in low # schools and should get 10 or more since I have guppies and these long finned danios. Is this wise advice even when I have a cycled 75 gal tank with alot of plants and hidy holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom