"largest & Coolest Fish You Can Do"?

TagTeam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I made the mistake of taking my wife to The Wet Spot (LFS in Portland, OR).
On the plus side, she enjoyed the experience much more than I was expecting.
On the bummer side, she is convinced that we need "the largest & coolest fish we can do in our tank".
After tactfully debating with her for quite some time I promised her I'd research our options.

We have a 20g tall with 6 Julii Cory, 7 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Amano, 3 Ghost Shrimp

Suggestions?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly, get a bigger tank. With a 20g tall, I can’t give you an answer, not one that will satisfy both you and your wife anyway.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GBRs need very warm tanks. Bolivians would work but they don't have the flashing colors like GBRs. Apistogrammas are small and you could add a pair. There are different subspecies with different color patterns and being cichlids, they have personality.

TagTeam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DarkOne said:
GBRs need very warm tanks. Bolivians would work but they don't have the flashing colors like GBRs. Apistogrammas are small and you could add a pair. There are different subspecies with different color patterns and being cichlids, they have personality.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate it!

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TagTeam said:
Thank you, I greatly appreciate it!
My GBR was an absolute hoot to watch. He hated my cat and when ever the cat was sitting beside the tank, my ram would charge him. Funniest thing ever. We used to have break fast together in the morning. (Tank was on my kitchen table) I miss him.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A single Bolivian in a small tank like that, where it's the largest, would quickly discover it's position as alpha, and really show some color. I used to have two, and when one was dominant it would rival the GBR team I had. Not as flashy, but great subtle beauty!

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TagTeam said:
I appreciate the responses. I'd really like some actual thoughts on what could be put in a 20g tank though.
Dwarf or Pearl Gourami... German Blue Ram... Male Betta... Paradise Fish...
My experiences with paradise fish are not great. Only get one, they're relatives of bettas and gourami, and have some of the same aggressive territorial traits, and also like to hide. They're also easily bullied. (Just my experience.)

If you cut down the number of other fish a betta sorority might work. Maybe start with 3, but I wouldn't go over 5. Females are increasing available in prettier colors and types, but if it's too crowded you'll experience losses. Shortfin males are good too, currents created by the filter won't batter them as much, which goes back to my King Betta suggestion, most I've seen are stunning, and are short finned (which is more true to the species anyway, so you get the bonus of the beauty of nature's intent! :emoji_sparkles::emoji_sparkles::emoji_unicorn::emoji_sparkles::emoji_sparkles

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom