Largest Aquarium Without Needing Canister

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by sullivanbay94, May 17, 2018.

1. s

sullivanbay94 Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what would be the largest size aquarium you can get without needing a canister filter. I currently have a 29 gallon running and i'm wanting to go bigger but i would rather not get into canister filters. What would be the largest aquarium size i could get without needing a canister over a regular filter.

Thanks in advance.

2. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

My personal preference is to go for a canister at anything larger than a 29g (and I have used a canister on a 29g as well) because I feel like I start wasting too much space in/around my tank with multiple smaller filters once you get that large.

If you don't mind the multiple filters, however, a 55g would easily be doable with multiple HOBs and sponges. I've not had anything larger than a 55g so I can't say for sure whether you could go bigger and still reasonably get away with it.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I got 1 hob and 2 sponge filters. Tank is crystal clear. No such thing as too much filtration;). It's also a 60 gallon.

4. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

Is there any reason why you want to avoid a canister? I always thought they were overpriced and overhyped, until I found a new one at a garage sale that was too good a deal to pass up. Now I wish I could have them on all my tanks!

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I liked running the two together, now I just switched to HOB.

6. OP
    OP
    s

sullivanbay94 Valued Member Member

I'm relatively new to the hobby.... i had a tank running for about 5 years but that was years ago, just getting back into it now and i don't have any experience with canisters and i'm not one for change lol plus i keep my tank in my bedroom so noise is a factor at night.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Canisters are pretty quiet, less maintenance as well. Maybe clean it once a quarter? They hold better filtration and they are easy to hide.

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I run canisters and HOB on all our aquariums. 29 gallon to 150 gallon. As a failsafe. And I service them every weekend on rotation. Remember, to control nitrates you need to export organics before they enter the cycle.... Unless you enjoy lots of water changes :)

9. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

I run sponge filters in up to 55g, my local Cichlid breeder has Motoros in a 48x96x18 with nothing but a sponge filter as well as a bunch of 90g and a 120g.

10. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a single aquaclear 110 on my 75 gallon tank. Have never had a need for more filtration on it. I think people go a little crazy with the, you need 10× filtration. No you dont as long as you can keep 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adequate.

11. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

why not? You'd save money. Like a lot of money. And time

12. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

I agree with you, David.
    I really think some folks have the idea that more filtration means less water changes.
    In my experience, 30% water changes twice weekly and live plants are the best formula for a healthy tank. Of course adequate filtration is a necessity, but it's no substitute for those water changes, IMO.
    As my signature line says...The maintenance free aquarium is a myth. :emoji_fish:

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  13. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Well, some of the really large tanks have sumps, not canisters. Does that count? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice