Largest Aquarium Without Needing Canister

sullivanbay94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what would be the largest size aquarium you can get without needing a canister filter. I currently have a 29 gallon running and i'm wanting to go bigger but i would rather not get into canister filters. What would be the largest aquarium size i could get without needing a canister over a regular filter.

Thanks in advance.

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My personal preference is to go for a canister at anything larger than a 29g (and I have used a canister on a 29g as well) because I feel like I start wasting too much space in/around my tank with multiple smaller filters once you get that large.

If you don't mind the multiple filters, however, a 55g would easily be doable with multiple HOBs and sponges. I've not had anything larger than a 55g so I can't say for sure whether you could go bigger and still reasonably get away with it.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any reason why you want to avoid a canister? I always thought they were overpriced and overhyped, until I found a new one at a garage sale that was too good a deal to pass up. Now I wish I could have them on all my tanks!

sullivanbay94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm relatively new to the hobby.... i had a tank running for about 5 years but that was years ago, just getting back into it now and i don't have any experience with canisters and i'm not one for change lol plus i keep my tank in my bedroom so noise is a factor at night.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Canisters are pretty quiet, less maintenance as well. Maybe clean it once a quarter? They hold better filtration and they are easy to hide.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run canisters and HOB on all our aquariums. 29 gallon to 150 gallon. As a failsafe. And I service them every weekend on rotation. Remember, to control nitrates you need to export organics before they enter the cycle.... Unless you enjoy lots of water changes

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a single aquaclear 110 on my 75 gallon tank. Have never had a need for more filtration on it. I think people go a little crazy with the, you need 10× filtration. No you dont as long as you can keep 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adequate.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sullivanbay94 said:
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what would be the largest size aquarium you can get without needing a canister filter. I currently have a 29 gallon running and i'm wanting to go bigger but i would rather not get into canister filters. What would be the largest aquarium size i could get without needing a canister over a regular filter.

Thanks in advance.
why not? You'd save money. Like a lot of money. And time

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
I have a single aquaclear 110 on my 75 gallon tank. Have never had a need for more filtration on it. I think people go a little crazy with the, you need 10× filtration. No you dont as long as you can keep 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adequate.
I agree with you, David.
I really think some folks have the idea that more filtration means less water changes.
In my experience, 30% water changes twice weekly and live plants are the best formula for a healthy tank. Of course adequate filtration is a necessity, but it's no substitute for those water changes, IMO.
As my signature line says...The maintenance free aquarium is a myth. :emoji_fish:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom