Largest Aquarium Without Needing Canister

1. s

sullivanbay94 Initiate Member

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what would be the largest size aquarium you can get without needing a canister filter. I currently have a 29 gallon running and i'm wanting to go bigger but i would rather not get into canister filters. What would be the largest aquarium size i could get without needing a canister over a regular filter.

Thanks in advance.

2. alauruin

alauruin Member Member

My personal preference is to go for a canister at anything larger than a 29g (and I have used a canister on a 29g as well) because I feel like I start wasting too much space in/around my tank with multiple smaller filters once you get that large.

If you don't mind the multiple filters, however, a 55g would easily be doable with multiple HOBs and sponges. I've not had anything larger than a 55g so I can't say for sure whether you could go bigger and still reasonably get away with it.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I got 1 hob and 2 sponge filters. Tank is crystal clear. No such thing as too much filtration;). It's also a 60 gallon.

4. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

Is there any reason why you want to avoid a canister? I always thought they were overpriced and overhyped, until I found a new one at a garage sale that was too good a deal to pass up. Now I wish I could have them on all my tanks!

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I liked running the two together, now I just switched to HOB.

6. OP
    OP
    s

sullivanbay94 Initiate Member

I'm relatively new to the hobby.... i had a tank running for about 5 years but that was years ago, just getting back into it now and i don't have any experience with canisters and i'm not one for change lol plus i keep my tank in my bedroom so noise is a factor at night.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Canisters are pretty quiet, less maintenance as well. Maybe clean it once a quarter? They hold better filtration and they are easy to hide.

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I run canisters and HOB on all our aquariums. 29 gallon to 150 gallon. As a failsafe. And I service them every weekend on rotation. Remember, to control nitrates you need to export organics before they enter the cycle.... Unless you enjoy lots of water changes :)

9. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

I run sponge filters in up to 55g, my local Cichlid breeder has Motoros in a 48x96x18 with nothing but a sponge filter as well as a bunch of 90g and a 120g.

10. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a single aquaclear 110 on my 75 gallon tank. Have never had a need for more filtration on it. I think people go a little crazy with the, you need 10× filtration. No you dont as long as you can keep 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adequate.

11. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

why not? You'd save money. Like a lot of money. And time

12. HORNET1

HORNET1 Member Member

I agree with you, David.
    I really think some folks have the idea that more filtration means less water changes.
    In my experience, 30% water changes twice weekly and live plants are the best formula for a healthy tank. Of course adequate filtration is a necessity, but it's no substitute for those water changes, IMO.
    As my signature line says...The maintenance free aquarium is a myth. :emoji_fish:

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Well, some of the really large tanks have sumps, not canisters. Does that count? :)