Larger fish suggestions

1. anunez91 Member Member

Hello Fishlore! =]

Ive been thinking,

in my previous plan (tank is currently empty)

i confirmed that i wanted to keep

1 angel
    2 rams
    8 tetras (probably xrays)
    and
    6 cories

but ive read up on rams and have been told they need pristine water, so, i think im going to wait on those till i gain a little more experience, (the rams here arent that cheap)

What i want to know now is; What other medium sized fish could i keep with

8 xrays and 6 cories? Im leaning towards two good sized fish, to be the "centerpeice" fish. Probably ones that get about 6" as adults. Any suggestions would be great. Also, how many angels could i keep without the rams? with the same numbers of tetras and cories?

2. rae64 Well Known Member Member

is the tank your 20 gallon or your 55 gallon?
    also, do you plan to fish-less cycle?

if your 55 gal, the tetras and cory cats will give you around 25 inches, leaving you with 30 to work with. that would be perfect for 3 angels. or, if you just want one angel, you might consider another shoal or 2 of some small fish or another species of tetra, but make sure they are to big to fit in the angel's mouth,

3. anunez91 Member Member

its actually a 29g (30x12x18)

4. alicem Member Member

One angel in your 29G would be a nice centerpiece fish.
    With the xRays and corydoras, that would be a pretty tank and easy to manage.
    alicem

5. rae64 Well Known Member Member

oh ok :) i thought it would be one of the ones 2 listed on your aquarium info. oops :) yeah i agree with alicem. that would make a nice tank, but will be slightly overstocked (i think...) so just be careful to keep up water changes! :)

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Your other option would be bolivian rams. They're hardier than the blue rams and they have LOADS of personality.

7. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I agree with the bolivian ram suggestion. I have 2 and I love them.

8. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Bolivians could work.
    Also possibly a Laetacara species ( Curviceps or Dorsigera) are ones you will probably find easily.

Just a note...... throw that 1 inch of fish stuff out the window it really is useless.

Good luck with your tank.

Brian

9. anunez91 Member Member

thanks everyone! i checked out those other ones that were suggested and ill check the lfs' if they have any, i was thinking, what if i just left the angel out. Would i be able to fit more rams? also if i cut back the tetras to 6? theres this store here that sells them 3 for 27 bucks, one of only two stores in the county that carry Bolivian rams. (they use all the heat from the metal halide lamps to heat the entire store and fish, its pretty clever).