larger chaeto refugium.

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
I originally had a thread that included info/pics of my 10 gallon chaeto refugium, "wet/dry necessary with chaeto?" with the hopes of going to a 20 gallon due to better than expected results. The levels of nitrates/PO4 dropped significantly and with this upgrade to a 20 gallon for my 150 gallon FOWLR I'm expecting things to improve 2-3x. For now I've decided to run my system with no WC's or PO4 reactor to monitor exactly what the chaeto is accomplishing. Any additional advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chaeto 2.jpg

* this chaeto ball used to entirely fill my 10 gallon but now has 2x the room to grow and now spin. The SLOW spin allows the light to consistently reach all areas of the algae for better growth and improved health over all, without any negative affect on the large/growing pod population.
 

utkgreg

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
25
Location
Tennessee, USA
Experience
5 years
Looking good. As another experiment, I might split it in half to have two smaller spinners to allow light to penetrate even further. It might also make it easier to harvest when it's time to remove some to allow for further growth? My chaeto is currently in a 5 gallon AquaFuge and fills it up pretty quick!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
utkgreg said:
Looking good. As another experiment, I might split it in half to have two smaller spinners to allow light to penetrate even further. It might also make it easier to harvest when it's time to remove some to allow for further growth? My chaeto is currently in a 5 gallon AquaFuge and fills it up pretty quick!
Hey, that's a very interesting idea . It was tough to get one to spin right but guess I could try the two spinning for the lighting reason. When I go to harvest this ball I'll try the, "utkgreg method" and keep everyone posted. Very creative-thanks man!

* utkgreg; Is your chaeto having the desired effects on your tank?
 

Orion5

Well Known
Member
Messages
924
Reaction score
26
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great! And glad it's working! The splitting idea sounds like it could work. I would increase surface area exposed to light and therefore likely make the whole filtration capacity larger.

So, you gonna split it?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
Split it? Don't know? I'll toy with it when it grows more in a week, but for now I'm busy with testing of the levels and researching how to make the most use of this space. Depending how this does over a month period will decide what I'll do with the existing wet/dry compartment of my proflex 4 sump. I'll either go with a bio-pellet reactor or put another chaeto ball in there too-tough decision. One way or another I'll get my zero readings consistently which I like. Were both, (Orion5) basically doing the same things with algae, just you with Freshwater and myself SW- time will tell and patience is KEY!
 

Orion5

Well Known
Member
Messages
924
Reaction score
26
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
1971roadrunner said:
Split it? Don't know? I'll toy with it when it grows more in a week, but for now I'm busy with testing of the levels and researching how to make the most use of this space. Depending how this does over a month period will decide what I'll do with the existing wet/dry compartment of my proflex 4 sump. I'll either go with a bio-pellet reactor or put another chaeto ball in there too-tough decision. One way or another I'll get my zero readings consistently which I like. Were both, (Orion5) basically doing the same things with algae, just you with Freshwater and myself SW- time will tell and patience is KEY!
You mentioned something before about the possibility of the chaeto ball "crashing." Is that a real possibility, and how does that happen? It would be a serious nightmare if that was your only source of filtration and it stopped working...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
Orion5 said:
You mentioned something before about the possibility of the chaeto ball "crashing." Is that a real possibility, and how does that happen? It would be a serious nightmare if that was your only source of filtration and it stopped working...
There really is no possibility of it crashing unless it runs out of nitrates, PO4, light and good flow. I do agree though about having a back up system but just don't know? Chaeto is so easy to keep, though I have anxieties anyway? I just took the ball out and gave it a good shake in the DT and pods came falling out everywhere and I'm now just sitting here watching the fish go nuts .
 

utkgreg

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
25
Location
Tennessee, USA
Experience
5 years
1971roadrunner said:
* utkgreg; Is your chaeto having the desired effects on your tank?
Work in progress. In my 28 gallon that has the 5 gallon refugium, it seems to be working like a charm. In the 29 gallon that has the smaller diy AquaClear refugium not as much. But I think there other contributing factors in the 29. It was the one I had problems with sand bed, and I think I'm still seeing effects from the live rock absorbing too much nitrate / phosphates; they're still leaching out. The chaeto is growing like crazy, but I believe I have a while to go before stabilization occurs. :/ Not giving up the fight yet though!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
Well that sounds just about right mr. utkgreg. I've read a lot about using AC's for a fuge with success and the 5 gallon fuge sounds even better for the size tank your running. The toughest lesson I HAD to learn about Saltwater tanks is the time it takes them to stabilize-frustrating ! I came very close to setting up a DSB myself and still want to, (like the science of it) but stayed away for now 'cause of situations like yours. I've been following your tanks development and please continue to keep us posted. Hey-what size AC are you using for the fuge? ttyl
 

utkgreg

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
25
Location
Tennessee, USA
Experience
5 years
1971roadrunner said:
Well that sounds just about right mr. utkgreg. I've read a lot about using AC's for a fuge with success and the 5 gallon fuge sounds even better for the size tank your running. The toughest lesson I HAD to learn about Saltwater tanks is the time it takes them to stabilize-frustrating ! I came very close to setting up a DSB myself and still want to, (like the science of it) but stayed away for now 'cause of situations like yours. I've been following your tanks development and please continue to keep us posted. Hey-what size AC are you using for the fuge? ttyl
I took a 110 and tore it apart. Took out the impeller and clipped the spokes down to about half size. Took the media tray and used the grated sides (I cut off the top triangular part with the rings) to create a media area if I want to put Purigen or anything in there. Took the bottom and used it as a guard to keep the chaeto from escaping into the display tank. Then I took one of the tops from the sides I had clipped off, and super-glued it to the side. That gives me a place to clip on a light --- just took a plastic clip-on light from Wally World, and put a Cree led in there. It was a fun project actually; just wish it were a little bigger.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 for the AC110 build-sounds very cool.You mention Purigen. I've never used it because it would upset everything I'm trying to develop and prevent me from building a biological system 'cause it would starve any of the BB's and algae I'm trying to encourage. If I HAD to use it I would but it just seems to go against why I got interested in this field in the first place. What are your thoughts?
 

eds48

Active Member
Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
1
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
More than 10 years
Another refugium could be the finnex one..I'm thinking of getting this for my 75 gallon when the build starts for cheato algae but I recommend getting a better pump based on reviews

And pump
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
2
Location
Greenwich Village, NYC
Experience
More than 10 years
Those HOB refugiums may work well for a smaller tank though for a 75 gallon IMO won't do much. For my 150 gallon am using a 20 gallon refuge, (takes up a lot of space and requires a fair amount of maintenance) which may not even be enough which is why people use bio-pellet reactors and the such. I prefer my algae for reasons other than extracting nitrates & PO4 but it should do this just as well, time will tell. There is no harm if you get one but don't expect too much, but I'm new to this also. Every ones needs are different so different systems are required as well as personal preferences. Good luck with that build and keep us posted.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
235
Guests online
3,446
Total visitors
3,681

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom