large white spots on cichlid Help

1. Cuz04 Initiate Member

Noticed 3 large white spots on cichlid today. Hides alot too. Could this be from fighting with other fish, or is it a disease?

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome,
    It doesn't sound like a wound. Do you have a picture? It could be ich.

3. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Hi !, and welcome to the forum.
    The forum members will need more information than you have given in order to impart some advice to you.
    Could you please supply the full set of water parameters in the tank, along with the species of Cichlid, and its tank mates.
    This will help tremendously
    Thanks

4. Cuz04 Initiate Member

Don't know any parameters other than pH, which is 7.9. Will purchase test kit tmrw. Aquarium was set up by sum1 else n was told all I needed to do was monitor pH levels. I see I was told wrong. Tank is a 60 gallon. 48"x13"x25". There are 2 yellow labs, 2 acei, and 2 I'm not sure of. Was told they were blue manda dolphin, but they don't look like the pics I've looked up. 1 of the unidentified has the 3 large white spots. Will get better pic tmrw when I water change. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404615141.811688.jpg can anyone identify?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Cuz04 Initiate Member

These r the spots ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404615828.735812.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404615866.562745.jpg is this ich?

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

No, I don't think so. It looks like a fungus of some sort. Please post your water parameters when you get them.

7. Cuz04 Initiate Member

Ok. Will do. Thnx.

Do you know what kind of cichlid they are? Stripes turn bright blue when agitated, but dark blue almost black when not.

8. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

+1 Adams post
    Looks like a fungal infection, but could be caused through fighting, and wounds that have become infected.
    You definately need to monitor your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels in the tank.
    Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle, and the essential requirement to have your tank cycled correctly ? before you stock with fish.

9. Cuz04 Initiate Member

Not much. Person that set up tank for me discussed it briefly. Waited about 2 weeks, then he came back n tested water n said I was good to put in fish. Waited another week before I did though. All the other fish seem to be thriving. No issues at all n active. Its just the one, at least for now.

10. Cuz04 Initiate Member

My parameters are a little off. Don't know how serious it is. NO3 - 40, NO2 - 1, pH - 7.6, KH - 120, GH - 180, ammonia - .05. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404702946.628136.jpg

11. Cuz04 Initiate Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404703566.537536.jpg kinda hard 2 see with glare and sand, but there is 1 spot on its head and another near its tail. The third spot was on its tail n appears to be fading. Didn't eat with others today. Not surprised. Got spooked by my neice n jumped out the bowl I had it in temporarily. Probably been stressed ever since. Noticed it does come out of hiding when I turn off 1 of the lights. Maybe it likes it dark better