Large Water Changes

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently started a 180 gallon tank. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for how to best handle water changes. I'm about 8 feet away from the window and water spigot. 12 feet from the faucet. Are the python siphons the way to go?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a pond pump to drain the x amount of water from the tank. This will be faster than just using the system to drain.

You can turn off the faucet to drain but it’s slow, hence the pond pump.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't believe I waited so long to get my python. It is so much easier than buckets.

The above posts gave great advice. A pump will speed up draining. You could also just drain with the python and use a regular syphon and dump buckets out at the same time to speed it up. I guess you could also use python and have regular syphon draining out the window.

I guess pump could negate need for python. You could pump water in and out with it.

Filling takes forever. It took me over a half hour to refill from a 75% water change in my 125g using the python connected to my kitchen faucet.

I could speed it up doing buckets at same time but I'm fine with just letting it run while I watch something on my phone or TV.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where you hook the Python can help, so you aren't fighting gravity. My tanks are on the second floor so I drain using the kitchen sink on the first floor, and then refill using the bathroom on the second. Takes a minute to swap faucets but speeds the process up from over an hour to about 15 minutes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom