Large Water Changes "Upsetting Cycle"

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I've read on tons of other forums that people advise against to doing a water change larger than 25% on your tank or you'll "upset your cycle"

Your bb lives on surfaces, in your gravel and of course, mainly in your filter. From what I know, bb does NOT live in your water. Correct me if I'm wrong, just thought I'd check as I often do larger than 25% wc on my tanks that need a little extra TLC :rolleyes:

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are correct. Very little bb lives in the water column so as long as your source water and your tank water are similar you can do large water changes.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Providing the gravel bed is deep enough, a lot of BB colonize in it.
A weekly 50% WC is a good rule to follow. Rarely deep gravel vac, just hover vac. I can't remember the last gravel vac I did.

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks. I thought so as it didn't make sense. In the two years I've kept fish, I've done up to 90% water changes for sick fish in cycled tanks and seen no ill effects. I usually do 50% at least weekly water changes (sometimes 75%) and have had no spikes, etc. Just checking ;)

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have done gravel vacs with the hose in filling it at the same time. Lol

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do smaller water changes and clean the filter sponge in the water u take out the tank that way your bacteria won't be destroged

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't figured out where the fear of water changes comes from. Fresh clean water is the very best thing one can do for the health of their water pets. So many of the diseases I see reported here daily could have often been prevented in the first place simply by doing regular big water changes.

As others have already said, little to no bacteria is free floating in the water. It grows on filter media and on every surface in our tanks. Doing water changes will not be removing bacteria. I change out 50% of the water in my 55 each week and once a month I change out even more. I change out at the very least 60% each week in my smaller tanks but most of the time I change out even more. As long as a water conditioner, if needed, is added and the water is close to the same temp water changes can only help.

As always, just my opinion gained from many years of large weekly water changes and thankfully never having to deal with disease in any of my tanks.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also do approximately 50% water changes each week and have never had an issue with my parameters.

OniEG

Reaction score
One thing i do during water changes is making sure it's room temperature water.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol whats with people hating water changes. I agree with everyone here. I think it may have started because some people just didn't like maintenance or because "in nature, there aren't water changes". Idk why but I like water changes(as its satisfying to get rid of poop and particles at the bottom of the tank); 100 percent water changes every other day saved my goldfish who lived in a bowl.

RDcompton03

Reaction score
I dont think the reason for avoiding or minimizing water changes during cycling is that it kills the bacteria. Rather, it removes the nutrients i.e. ammonia, nitrites and nitrates that are feeding the bacteria you are trying grow.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RDcompton03 said:
I dont think the reason for avoiding or minimizing water changes during cycling is that it kills the bacteria. Rather, it removes the nutrients i.e. ammonia, nitrites and nitrates that are feeding the bacteria you are trying grow.
That does kind of make sense. Well I suppose the fish will appreciate extra food! jk.

Rylan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just remember the healthiest tanks on Fishlore are the ones that get more than the minimum water change and any urging to fear clean water is quickly silenced and dismissed. :D

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Rylan said:
I just remember the healthiest tanks on Fishlore are the ones that get more than the minimum water change and any urging to fear clean water is quickly silenced and dismissed. :D
How do you determine the "healthiest tanks on fishlore?"

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Rylan said:
If you’ve been here long enough it’s not hard.
When youve kept tanks long enough you will realize the there is a lot more to the the hobby than changing water and its not the solution to every problem and in fact can be counter productive.

Rylan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
RDcompton03 said:
When youve kept tanks long enough you will realize the there is a lot more to the the hobby than changing water and its not the solution to every problem and in fact can be counter productive.
I never said that it was. No one did. And length of experience alone doesn’t always equal accurate knowledge of any hobby.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
Lol whats with people hating water changes. I agree with everyone here. I think it may have started because some people just didn't like maintenance or because "in nature, there aren't water changes". Idk why but I like water changes(as its satisfying to get rid of poop and particles at the bottom of the tank); 100 percent water changes every other day saved my goldfish who lived in a bowl.
Okay well I saw somewhere that "back then"(certain time period, whatever), people thought water changes were bad because they thought "new water kills". I can't be 100% guarantee this is true though.

New Threads