Large Tanks

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I wonder how large tanks should be maintained. For example, should a tank as large as 75 gallons be maintained in the same way as a 30 gallon (or less) tank? Meaning, could it use the same types of filters that smaller tanks use, such as AquaClears, BioWheels, etc ...(only of course larger)? Or do large tanks require some special and different maintenance? I have often read about some special pipework and special filtration systems required by large tanks. Is that necessary? What is this all about? What about tanks that range from 75 to 125 gallons? Any special maintenance requirements for these?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Everything I do whether it's a 10 gallon or 100 gallon are basically the same. You can get by with smaller water changes in a larger tank, but I don't do that. Fitration is basically the same also. You just need bigger filters because your gph rate is more.

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I do my larger water slightly different than I do the smaller tanks.
    The main reason for this is that even with there being larger fish in the larger water, the ratio of water to biomass in the fish is smaller when compared to the smaller tanks.

By larger, I mean the tanks and cattle troughs over 150 gallons.

The larger tanks, as a rule are also VERY heavily planted.

The difference in how I treat them is that the larger tansk generally only get a 20% change ever two weeks vs 35% a week in the smaller tanks.

Dino

4. dano569 Member Member

i agree with gunnie,i change the same percentage of water in my 55's as my 20.i have basically the same type of filtration on all my tanks and have my water filtered at least 10 times an hour.  ;)

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I do 25-30% water changes on all my tanks regardless of size. I do have two filters on my 75G because it's so long (4ft). Both filters are rated for a 75 G tank. I feel like theres a dead spot at one end without the second filter and some times do a second water change on this tank because of the big waste producers present.
    Carol

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

OK, thanks all :)

And as always, I have this "one more question" LOL (sorry!). So here goes: I imagine you need a pretty powerful siphon tube for cleaning a tank as large as 75 - 125 gallons. And this made me wonder. Since my regular gravel vac for a 30 gallon tank often sucks in some of the gravel, wouldn't a much more powerful gravel vac easily siphon the gravel in, together with plant roots or leaves, etc.?

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I use a python to clean all my tanks. I switch gravel hoses when I clean the larger tanks and use one that's longer so I don't get my hands wet. The sucking pressure can be adjusted at the faucet of where your python is hooked up to. I generally up the pressure somewhat when I'm cleaning the bigger tanks though because it does take a little more sucking power, and it speeds up the process since so many more gallons are being changed out of the tank.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I use the same siphon connected to the water hose we rigged up on all my tanks large and small.
    Carol