Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Large Tank Water Change

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by Jayec1018, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Jayec1018New MemberMember

So I have a question. Consider me a newb....I read that I should be changing 25-50% a week.... which a don’t disagree with.... but maybe someone here can give me some ideas, how do I get 30 gallons of water to 75 degrees????? How does everyone here get they’re water up to temp???

Thanks

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

start a couple degrees warmer and as your reaching your top off point it'll all even out a degree or 2 up or down shouldn't affect anything. That is if your using a sink type water changer

3. Thor555Valued MemberMember

What kind of fish?

4. RyanLeeValued MemberMember

Personally I age my water in a 150 gallon barrel in my garage where it gets heated and aerated overnight. That gets transferred with a pump and hose to my tanks. However I think the more common method would be to use a python connected to your tap spigot, just balance you hot/cold knob to the desired temp.

5. Jayec1018New MemberMember

Guess I’ll just go with the sink faucet finger test, lol

6. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Pretty much what I do. It doesn't have to be perfect.

7. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

If your filling buckets use your wrist its more sensitive to water temp changes

8. McFlyValued MemberMember

Equipment:
    (2) 6 Gallon buckets (1 for clean water, 1 for icky water) Find them at a home brew supply
    (1) Bucket Caddy
    (1) Submersible pond pump (300gph) from Home depot
    10 ft. of 3/4 inch hose (or hose that matches pump outlet)
    Cheap-o Syphon style gravel vacuum

I use the gravel vac to remove gravel detritus and old water from the tank
    into the dirty water bucket (3 times). The dirty water gets wheeled to the flower beds where it gets used.
    I fill the clean 6 gallon bucket (3 times) adding 20 drops of Prime and 1 tsp of aquarium salt to
    each bucket as it fills. Wheel the bucket over to the Aquarium on the dolly, then I use the
    submersible pond pump that I drop into the bucket, and pump the water into the tank through
    the attached hose.

This whole process gives me a (roughly) 30% water change in about 30 minutes, along with
    2/3 of the substrate vacuumed. Nitrates stay fairly consistent at 20-30 ppm. This is a slightly
    under-stocked tank in comparison to filtration.

9. Jayec1018New MemberMember

I believe the fx4 filter has a filling feature, so I could fill from the buckets without a pump. Would make life easy