Large stocking options for 75gal tank?

1. beau

beau Well Known Member Member

What are the options for large fish (8" - 12") species that can be kept in a 75gal tank? I know most need to be kept alone in a tank that size, but are there any that could be kept with more than one, or with tankmates?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Some cichlids perhaps? Other choices include certain types of catfish like Raphael's. There are quite a lot of options really, it just depends what you're looking for.

This site has a fish finder which might help you: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/pet-finder.php?atlas=1&type=basic&minimum_tank_size=75&temperature_low=&maximum_size=&maximum_size_min=8&submit=basic

3. OP
    OP
    beau

Thank you, I'll check out the finder as soon as I'm on a computer!

Sorry I didn't give a lot of info on what I was looking for, that first post was pretty vague. I'm interested in some of the larger cichlid species such as Oscars, Oaxaca Cichlids and Jack Dempsey's. I was wondering if there were any species of similar size that could be housed together in a 75gal, or if there are any more unusual species that people on here could recommend.

4. W

Mbuna's like Electric yellows and peacocks are fairly big and can be housed together with others from the lakes. The problem is they're also some of the nastiest fish in the aquarium and so you really need to check every fish's compatibility before you get them.

5. OP
    OP
    beau

I was interested in a Peacock only tank as well, so maybe I'll continue to look further into that. Cost is definitely a consideration though as I've read they're worth a fair amount each lol.

6. W

Depends on where you live. Here, a nice peacock is about 8-10€, so about 15$. Not cheap but not as bad as some.

7. Ted B

Ted B Valued Member Member

I'd think Congo Tetras should be big enough to avoid being food for a Oscar.

If you have good filtration, maybe you stocking could be as follows:

1 Oscar
    7 Congo Tetras
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    1 Rainbow or Red-Tail Shark OR a Smaller Geophagus Chichlid.

8. OP
    OP
    beau

Just went through one of my lfs and they carry a number of different species for between $8 & $15 each, so you're right, definitely not that bad.

9. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

The only fish on this list that is compatible with an Oscar is the pleco. Congos don't grow large enough and the sharks are just the right shape for an Oscar to try to eat. I had an Oscar that killed several roselines and a red-tail shark by trying to eat them even though it was only a couple of inches longer than they were.

10. OP
    OP
    beau

A stocking list I read on another forum was -

1 x Jack Dempsey
    1 x Firemouth
    1 x Heroes sp.

And then some people are suggesting a dither fish. I personally really like Giant Danio's, but I'm not sure if that would be overstocked... Would that stock actually work or are they way off base?

11. W

Theoretically it might be okay. If you go with it, I'd keep an eye on the Jack Dempsey though, they're not the most sociable of fish. Still, I've heard of a lot of people who have no issues with compatibility. The other two are fairly sedate.

Concerning dither fish I'd be wary. By definition these fish you're talking about are larger than most and will make a quick meal out of anything that they can get in their mouths. Firemouths are okay, from what I've heard they'll stop at anything much past a couple of centimeters in length. Heros and Jack Dempsey's will munch on smaller fish though. Congo tetras are an expensive snack if things go pair shaped.

12. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

6 giant danios would be fine in there with your last stocking list. Jacks aren't as aggressive as they are made out to be.

13. OP
    OP
    beau

I'm reading that my pH is too high for Severums, so is there a third species that would work in their place? (My pH is 7.4) Also, what sort of decor works in a tank like this? Driftwood, rocks or both? Thank you so much for the help! The plan is to set this tank up sometime in the new year, but as I know next to nothing about Cichlids I'd like to do as much research as possible ahead of time.

14. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

pH is not a very big concern for most fish. My lfs breeds severums and the pH of their water is 7.8, I grew out a severum for them and my pH is 8.4, most people think pH is a requirement but it shouldn't deter you from getting a fish.

I would stock a single or pair of severum, a mid-size pleco (I like the green phantoms) and a school of silver dollars. Decor would be just driftwood and rocks since silver dollars eat plants. I prefer sand substrate but that's up to you.

15. OP
    OP
    beau

Thank you for the thoughts!

For filtration, I was planning on the Fluval 406 which runs just over 5x the tank volume. (383gpg) Would this be suitable? AqAdvisor (which I know isn't great for stocking, but gives a good guideline for parameters) is telling me that the filtration is not even close to enough.

16. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

I've heard 3-4x turnover is good for canisters, you want 10x for HOB.

17. OP
    OP
    beau

Okay, that's what I've read as well. Thanks for confirming that!

18. OP
    OP
    beau

One more question, are Firemouth's okay being kept as the only one of their species? I'm reading they need to company of conspecifics but I'm also seeing stocking recommendations like the one I posted, so I'm not sure...

19. W

I've heard of plenty of people keeping them alone without an issue and in a community tank with even smaller fish. I've never heard of them needing a lot of company.

20. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Firemouths are fine alone. Most cichlids are fine alone unless you get into some of the geophagus which need more of their own kind to be comfortable.

As far as filtration, the standard quote is x5 for canisters and x10 for hob's. I personally believe x10 no matter what. I have a sunsun 304 (370 gph) and a sunsun 404 (525 gph i think) which is nearly 12x filtration for my 75 gallon. That's a bit overkill but once you fill that canister up with media it will decrease by 20-40% so I'd say you need to add another filter.

I think you can do a jack dempsey with a firemouth and rotkeil severum in the same tank with some dithers. However, it will largely depend on the JD if they will tolerate the other cichlids. These fish range from fairly peaceful to down right aggressive. The firemouth and severum will not be able to defend themselves very well against the likes of a JD so you'll need a back up plan if it doesn't work out.

I would try and stick with a rotkeil severum though as severums can get rather large and may outgrow a 75 but the rotkeil's are supposed to stay a bit smaller. Blood parrots would also be an option though again if you are putting a jack dempsey in there then you'll need to monitor everything very closely.

pH is not so much an issue as long as you acclimate a fish slowly. Most fish these days are tank bread and are a bit more adaptable to different pH requirements.