Large-scale Breeding Plan

Avani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi guys, I'm an experienced fish-keeper, very educated on bettas, the care they require, and I am familiar with breeding, but have not personally bred before.

I am looking to attempt a setup that could potentially sustain me financially at some point down the line (if only partly). I realize it would be years in the making and am willing to try. I am fully prepared to take on a large-scale operation, housing hundreds of bettas, and being a reputable breeder that sells quality lines.

My current plan is this:

Ontario - I need resources that allow shipping to Canada or are available in Canada

Room

15'L x 11'W x 7'H

Racking System for Offspring
All fish separated into individual tanks - including females
DIY version of ZD560 model (using 6 per row with 9.5 litre containers) - 4 racks, holding 240 bettas
Aquaneering, Inc. - Superior Water Quality. Because your research depends on it.
Is this enough?
What would be a better amount?
How many pairs' offspring could this hold approximately?

Breeding Setup
Let me know the ideal setup for this, not sure how many pairs I could do, how many tanks I would need, etc. Also, is it suitable to house breeding pairs in a divided tank when they are not ready to be bred (ie, cooldown time) or is it still a big no-no? Let me know options to house breeding pairs when they are not breeding.

Genetics/Pairs
I understand the basics of appealing traits, but don't know the nitty-gritty stuff yet, let me know how it all works! I want to provide quality lines, with good traits and good genetics. Also, what pairs I should have vs. what to avoid? How to know if a pair is compatible and both have good genetics (not just good looks)

Feeding Station
A place to culture a variety of live foods for all life stages. Let me know your experience culturing live foods - what was hardest? Easiest? The most efficient? What your bettas liked most? Any problems that happened?

Hospital/Quarantine
Let me know a good setup for this. How many tanks should I have and what size(s)? Filtration? Heating options? Medications to have on-hand that are available in Ontario?

Media Station
Potentially a small area to take photos and videos for online advertising, with a desk and computer
Can go somewhere else in the house if needed.

Protection & Prevention
Any advice on a system that could protect the house in the case of a large-scale leak, power outage, or other disaster? Will humidity-control be required? Any other equipment I should have?

Seriously, thank you for reading this and helping me out if you can. I understand that it sounds like an impossible task, but I've been looking for my calling and I believe that I have the means to try to truly make a business out of it from scratch - it may take years, and lots of money, but I'm willing to try.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi guys, I'm an experienced fish-keeper, very educated on bettas, the care they require, and I am familiar with breeding, but have not personally bred before.

I am looking to attempt a setup that could potentially sustain me financially at some point down the line (if only partly). I realize it would be years in the making and am willing to try. I am fully prepared to take on a large-scale operation, housing hundreds of bettas, and being a reputable breeder that sells quality lines.

My current plan is this:

Ontario - I need resources that allow shipping to Canada or are available in Canada

Room

15'L x 11'W x 7'H

Racking System for Offspring
All fish separated into individual tanks - including females
DIY version of ZD560 model (using 6 per row with 9.5 litre containers) - 4 racks, holding 240 bettas
Aquaneering, Inc. - Superior Water Quality. Because your research depends on it.
Is this enough?
What would be a better amount?
How many pairs' offspring could this hold approximately?

Breeding Setup
Let me know the ideal setup for this, not sure how many pairs I could do, how many tanks I would need, etc. Also, is it suitable to house breeding pairs in a divided tank when they are not ready to be bred (ie, cooldown time) or is it still a big no-no? Let me know options to house breeding pairs when they are not breeding.

Genetics/Pairs
I understand the basics of appealing traits, but don't know the nitty-gritty stuff yet, let me know how it all works! I want to provide quality lines, with good traits and good genetics. Also, what pairs I should have vs. what to avoid? How to know if a pair is compatible and both have good genetics (not just good looks)

Feeding Station
A place to culture a variety of live foods for all life stages. Let me know your experience culturing live foods - what was hardest? Easiest? The most efficient? What your bettas liked most? Any problems that happened?

Hospital/Quarantine
Let me know a good setup for this. How many tanks should I have and what size(s)? Filtration? Heating options? Medications to have on-hand that are available in Ontario?

Media Station
Potentially a small area to take photos and videos for online advertising, with a desk and computer
Can go somewhere else in the house if needed.

Protection & Prevention
Any advice on a system that could protect the house in the case of a large-scale leak, power outage, or other disaster? Will humidity-control be required? Any other equipment I should have?

Seriously, thank you for reading this and helping me out if you can. I understand that it sounds like an impossible task, but I've been looking for my calling and I believe that I have the means to try to truly make a business out of it from scratch - it may take years, and lots of money, but I'm willing to try.
I'm not a business person but it seems that if you want to start a large scale business, you would do a community assessment of sorts first. The questions you would ask before planning anything is 1. What community am I going to serve with my product? Fish stores? Private individuals? Distributors? Other breeders? Etc. Then 2. How big is this community going to be? Only my City? Province? All of Canada? North America? Global?--once you decide those things, then you investigate. 3. is there a need for my product? Are there other vendors that sell this product in my chosen market area? Can I out complete them for clients and make it profitable.
One thing I notice is missing from your list though is packaging and shipping plans. If you plan on shipping fish any distance, you'll need an oxygen supply, packaging materials (cardboard and styrofoam or equivalent boxes, plastic bags, ice and heat packs) etc.

Avani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not a business person but it seems that if you want to start a large scale business, you would do a community assessment of sorts first. The questions you would ask before planning anything is 1. What community am I going to serve with my product? Fish stores? Private individuals? Distributors? Other breeders? Etc. Then 2. How big is this community going to be? Only my City? Province? All of Canada? North America? Global?--once you decide those things, then you investigate. 3. is there a need for my product? Are there other vendors that sell this product in my chosen market area? Can I out complete them for clients and make it profitable.
One thing I notice is missing from your list though is packaging and shipping plans. If you plan on shipping fish any distance, you'll need an oxygen supply, packaging materials (cardboard and styrofoam or equivalent boxes, plastic bags, ice and heat packs) etc.
Thanks for replying, I totally forgot about shipping potential!

As for some of my goals, I would like to keep it Canada-wide to start off. As a fish hobbyist, I struggled to find betta breeders that shipped either within Canada, or to Canada - Aquabid was obviously my main go-to, but I feel like I'm not the only Canadian who has frustrations with the lack of betta breeders in the country - unless I'm just not finding any searching online. Since my goal is to produce quality lines, I would probably be looking for other breeders to sell to or private individuals since I don't want to supply my local pet chains as they aren't good stores for bettas.

I do think that with careful planning, strategic marketing and keeping a very personal (almost blog-style) media presence, I could get out there and be successful.
I also have the option of going to college and taking an Entrepreneurship program, and I believe after you graduate you get a grant towards your business.

Avani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm still looking for tips, advice or experience! Really appreciate anything.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for replying, I totally forgot about shipping potential!

As for some of my goals, I would like to keep it Canada-wide to start off. As a fish hobbyist, I struggled to find betta breeders that shipped either within Canada, or to Canada - Aquabid was obviously my main go-to, but I feel like I'm not the only Canadian who has frustrations with the lack of betta breeders in the country - unless I'm just not finding any searching online. Since my goal is to produce quality lines, I would probably be looking for other breeders to sell to or private individuals since I don't want to supply my local pet chains as they aren't good stores for bettas.

I do think that with careful planning, strategic marketing and keeping a very personal (almost blog-style) media presence, I could get out there and be successful.
I also have the option of going to college and taking an Entrepreneurship program, and I believe after you graduate you get a grant towards your business.
That Entrepreneurship program sounds like a good deal and worth checking out!

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Following! I don't live in Canada but based on my experience on selling fish/shrimp, I wouldn't sell to other stores or LFS. They will have to buy them at a cheap price in order to have a good markup price to make profit. Aquabid and Ebay are great if you have good quality bettas, but I also recommend selling locally too (if you can find people willing to spend more on good quality bettas). As for getting the pairs, I would look online to find the best quality pairs. I recommend Thailand breeders, but they require a trans-shipper and that can get even more expensive. As for confirming the genetic line, I recommend getting in contact with the breeders themselves in order to get more information about the bettas.
As for feeding, baby brine shrimp are probably most popular. I made a DIY hatchery and bought some eggs online that I keep refrigerated. They hatch in about 24 hours and are pretty easy to feed. You could make multiple hatcheries and switch them out to have constant feedings. However, I haven't had to make a mass amount at a time, but I've seen youtubers online that make pretty good set ups for their fish rooms. I've tried to make infusiora before but I haven't been successful with that.
For media, you should make a buisness name and make an Instagram or Twitter and post photos or videos of your bettas/fry. You could also put a link to the website where you end up selling online, or you could post auctions (maybe to get followers involved?)
Hope this helped :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom